July 2014 Moms
Options

My Body is a Mess

I tried nursing/pumping and I had a terrible supply. On a good day I got 4 ounces after several pumping sessions. I quit nursing/pumping when DD was 10 weeks old. It was just too discouraging. Anyways DD is now 24 weeks and when I squeeze (not hard) my boobs milk still comes out. Not a lot, but still some. I haven't started my first PP yet either. Is this normal. I'm frustrated that I couldn't produce enough for my baby, but 14 weeks later I still produce some milk. I'm wondering if I should call my doctor. We plan on doing IVF again in January or February.

Re: My Body is a Mess

• Options
    Are you planning to try nursing again?  I wouldn't worry about it if you're not.  Your body produces fluids (blech) for random reasons at random times. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    missilini said:
    I tried nursing/pumping and I had a terrible supply. On a good day I got 4 ounces after several pumping sessions. I quit nursing/pumping when DD was 10 weeks old. It was just too discouraging. Anyways DD is now 24 weeks and when I squeeze (not hard) my boobs milk still comes out. Not a lot, but still some. I haven't started my first PP yet either. Is this normal. I'm frustrated that I couldn't produce enough for my baby, but 14 weeks later I still produce some milk. I'm wondering if I should call my doctor. We plan on doing IVF again in January or February.
    I wouldn't worry about seeing some milk come out when you squeeze.  

I am curious why you'd be doing IVF less than a year after your LO is born.  Don't most doctors recommend giving your body a year to heal before getting pregnant again (c-section or not).  Isn't there a stat somewhere about the increase of high-risk pregnancy when your pregnancies are less than a year apart?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It doesn't sound like an emergency, but I'd keep an eye on it and mention it to your ob or primary or any dr you see for fertility. I have a tumor on my pituitary glad that produces increased levels of the hormone prolactin that is related to nursing. In some cases, lactation occurs without a baby. Since you just had a baby, I don't think it is an emergency symptom that requires dr care immediately. Keep and eye on that. Another symptom with my condition is no period or a very short, light period.
  • Options
    I would like to try nursing again if we get pregnant. After talking to a lactation consultant I know some things I would do differently during my pregnancy to maybe help produce more.
    @jnnfrrose6‌ I'm getting old so I don't want to wait too long. My RE and OB both agreed that 6 months was all we needed to wait to try again. I know on the Success after IF board a lot of people try about that soon. If you find the article I would be interested in reading it. I'm also planning to start nursing school so I need to have a baby before it starts.
  • Options
    jnnfrrose6jnnfrrose6 member
    edited December 2014
    missilini said:
    I would like to try nursing again if we get pregnant. After talking to a lactation consultant I know some things I would do differently during my pregnancy to maybe help produce more. @jnnfrrose6‌ I'm getting old so I don't want to wait too long. My RE and OB both agreed that 6 months was all we needed to wait to try again. I know on the Success after IF board a lot of people try about that soon. If you find the article I would be interested in reading it. I'm also planning to start nursing school so I need to have a baby before it starts.
    Thanks for the explanation!  Wasn't really questioning whether or not you should be trying again at less than a year, just what the reasoning was.  There's plenty of women who seem to want all the babies as soon as possible and don't seem to think about what it does to their bodies/risk to the babies, but it looks like you've made the decision that's right for you and with the guidance of your doctors.  Good luck!

ETA Here's an article from the mayo clinic about risk factors linked to spacing between pregnancies.
  • Options
    Thanks I'll check it out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"