November 2013 Moms

dropping this here... the Friday Daily thread

2»

Re: dropping this here... the Friday Daily thread

• Oh thank god! I don't have to drive 2 hours to make sure you are ok! @joelies, don't do that to me.
  • FFFC I have no idea what the hell the Larry thread is.

1D
  • Loading the player...
  • LJGS1010 said:

Hi.
    Reading up on some threads I missed made me sad, lots of tough situations for a lot of us right now, hope everyone is staying strong.

Tomorrow we are having my family over to celebrate hannukah, I'm making latkies (duh!) and brisket and hoping it'll be a fun time. It's just 5 of us plus B so not too stressful.
    Any good (easy) latkie recipes or tips? I've never actually been the one making them but I'm excited to try. I don't really like my moms recipie, she makes them like a batter and there end up really mushy, I'm going for more of a crispy has brown type.

The key is to shred the potatoes, not blend them. You can use a peeler or a food processor. Then when you fry them they stay stringy, rather than doughy (and get the good crunch).
    Thanks ladies, I'll do my best and report back.....
  • Oh and @LJGS1010‌ or @mamasoup030‌ if we are having brisket as well, how many potatoes should I buy/shred for 5 adults?
  • mamasoup030mamasoup030 member
    edited December 2014
    @sharonlee88 I always over feed, so I'd double the amount of people I'm feeding. I also prefer Yukon gold for my latkes, it's part of the secret.
  • LJGS1010 said:

@sharonlee88 I always over feed, so I'd double the amount of people I'm feeding. I also prefer Yukon gold for my latkes, it's part of the secret.

This. @mamasoup030‌, your jewish mentors have taught you well.

You can always put leftover latkes back on a baking sheet in the oven to reheat as leftovers.

Agreed on all counts- I've never made them for a crowd that large, so I accept the food processor for that instance. I've found that freezing them immediately gets the best results for saving them and then I eat them for months later with my eggs and bacon- so delish! Now I want latkes :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"