May 2014 Moms
Options

Help: Interviewing while BF/pumping

Short version: I need advice on how to handle a full-day interview when I am still BF.

------
I'm in need of advice. I've been lucky enough to be able to stay home with DD for most if the past 6 months, and will hopefully be going back to work in the near future in a profession I love.

I have a second interview coming up for a job that would be a great fit. This interview is one of those full-day, meet with management and multiple teams, lunch with potential colleagues, etc. sort.

My dilemma? I'm still BF, and don't think there is likely to be any breaks at all built into my interview schedule. So, no time to pump or even really do a quick hand express in the bathroom. Unless I say something ahead of time to HR or the person recruiting/interviewing me, which doesn't seem like a great idea if I don't have to.

As many if you know I have had really low supply all along, so I might be able to make it through without leaking. But I don't want to worsen my supply issues either.

Advice on how to best handle this?

Re: Help: Interviewing while BF/pumping

• Options
    "Stealth pump" -- love it!

I just worry about it being weird disappearing to the bathroom, and let-down and pumping sometimes take longer than I think.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    limechiffonlimechiffon member
    edited December 2014
    If there's an HR person setting up the schedule then I'd say something to that person. They're in HR, this sorta thing is their job.  

Even if it's not an HR person setting everything up, I personally would still say something. I'd probably just give some specific instructions, like "I'll need a 20 minute break, ideally sometime between 11 and 2, I'll just go to my car." The downside is yeah, they figure out you have a baby at home, and you'll need breaks at work, but for me that would be the tradeoff with being distracted and not interviewing as well as I could. 

But whatever you decide, good luck!
    image   image
                                                          Baby Girl born May 16, 2014
  • Options
    comicsans said:

Why would discussing it in advance be a bad idea? Sounds like the easy solution.

I know theoretically it's supposed to be a reasonable accommodation, and I have no problem asking for that when I'm working. But during an interview I worry that asking for anything special could be perceived as entitled.
  • Options
    I would also just tell them what I needed; I'd just try to be matter of fact about it.  Good luck with the interview!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I would be straightforward and tell them you are a nursing mother and will need a break or two in the schedule to use a mothers room or restroom. If they can't accommodate, why work for them? Also, I think the more us nursing mothers try to avoid pumping to make it more convenient or whatever for others, the more it sets back the needs of working mothers. Stand up for what you need. Good luck with your interview!

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"