Baby Names
Options

My boy/girl twin set just became two girls, do these names work together?

We'd been pretty set on our names for the most part and just this week got the news that the initial ultrasound informing us of the sexes was wrong, we're having two girls now :)  We looked over our list of favorite girl names and are thinking of these two for our twins:

Emily Rose
Rachel Kate

*dark horse competitor is Zelda Kate in lieu of Rachel, but H really likes it based on the video game and that just turns me off.  I'm open to suggestions on that name also, maybe it's not as bad as I think?

So I googled Emily and Rachel together just for kicks and all this Friends stuff comes up, I forgot that both names were characters who married Ross.  Personally I couldn't care less, I don't think Friends is terribly relevant anymore, but I know it's going to tick me off if everyone responds to the names by saying "oh like in Friends!"

So my questions are 1. would you connect the dots between these names and Friends, and 2. do these names go well together?  Other suggestions welcome, we've had a historically hard time coming up with girls names.  Thanks so much ladies!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: My boy/girl twin set just became two girls, do these names work together?

• Options
    Friends was the first thing I thought of, but I don't think it's that big of a deal. Emily is a very pretty name, but I find Rachel to be a bit dated. I actually like Emily and Kate together better.

Other suggestions

Emily and Caroline
    Emily and Katherine
    Emily and Annie (nn for something)
    Emily and Claire
    Emily and Nora
    Emily and Violet
    Emily and Olivia
    Emily and June
    Emily and Charlotte

• Options
    I am a huge friends fan. I've seen the Emily and Rachel wedding episode a dozen or more times lol still, I didn't make the connection until you pointed it out. I would be more concerned with Rachel and Monica or phoebe but Emily is fine(plus it's a great name!)

That being said, Zelda is awesome but I don't think it works well with Rachel.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I love Friends and I did not make the connection. I like Emily & Rachel. Zelda is fun but nms.
  • Options
    Emily and Rachel sound great together. I would never make the friends connection since it was popular before my time. ;)
  • Options

I was a big Friends fan, but I didn't think of it. Emily wasn't a main character so I wouldn't expect a ton of people to connect those dots. 

I like Rachel more than Zelda. I think of the creepy sister from Pet Sematary when I hear Zelda. Clearly that book traumatized me sometime in my youth because I can't get it out of my head. 
    THIS except I thought of Zelda from Sabrina the Teenage Witch. Don't like that name. Emily and Rachel are great together.
  • Options
    I like Emily and Rachel. I think they are fine together. I really don't think the friends reference is an issue because Emily is irrelevant on the show.
  • Options
    I think it's ok. Rachel is a bit dated, but not bad. I would vote for emily and katherine

No periods due to 17 years of ballet and distance running after college.  Zero response to 2 months of Clomid, little response to Letrozole.  IUI left with 9 cysts = too many viable eggs due to age.  On to IVF.  Low dose of all meds still produced 37 mature eggs 12.6.11.  Froze due to overstimulation.  

FET #1.1 1.22.12 BFN.   FET #1.2 2.22.12=GRACE! (and a vanishing twin).  

Grace Katherine born 10.25.12 @ 36w6w 6#14oz 19.5".
    FET #1.3 3.2013 BFN FET#1.4 4.2013 BFN. Never tried a fresh transfer.  Let's try, despite 10 still frozen.  
    ER 6.26.13 27 mature eggs, slight overstim. ET   7.1.13 ectopic, FET 2.1  9.10.14   TRIPLETS!!  

Boys born 3.18.14 @ 29w5d.  Andrew Jack 3#6oz 16", Grant Robert 3#9oz 16", Charles Phillip 3#7oz 17".

• Options
    I'M GOING TOTAL CURVEBALL..

Amelia and Kate would be outstanding.

I think of the exorcism of EMILY ROSE when I see that name.. creeeepy.

And drop Zelda, try Zara?
  • Options
    I really don't like Zelda because of the very strong association with the video game.

Rachel and Emily are great!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Love Emily, Love Rachel. Your MNs are fine, a little vanilla but they are nice.
    Really dislike Zelda as a FN, it's fine for a MN if you like video games but not a FN.
    I wouldn't have picked up on the Friends or Exorcist links to the names.
  • Options
    I do love Zelda but I think Emily and Rachel are much better together.

I loved Friends and I never would have made the Ross connection.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker}

• Options
    Emily and Rachel
  • Options
    I like Rachel even if it is dated! Emily Rose always reminds me of the exorcism as well, too creepy.
  • Options
    I have to laugh at people saying Rachel is dated. Well...yeah. It's a biblical name. So it's pretty darn old. However, it is a beautiful classic feminine name. I love both Emily and Rachel! Congrats on your twins!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I think they are a great twin sibset....I love Friends but I didn't make the Emily/Rachel connection either
  • Options
    FRIENDS IS TOTALLY STILL RELEVANT!!! Haha! I'm just kidding. I made the connection right away but I'm in love with the show so... I think Emily and Rachel are good together
    "I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels. Life's a bitch. You've got to go out and kick ass." Maya Angelou
    ~ Auntie to L: 2013 and Peanut: EDD 11/2014 ~

• Options

FRIENDS IS TOTALLY STILL RELEVANT!!! Haha! I'm just kidding. I made the connection right away but I'm in love with the show so... I think Emily and Rachel are good together

I'm really glad I'm not the only one. I was feeling way too friends obsessed!!!

• Options
    @pb&j714 I agree. I don't think a classic name can really be dated. Though it hit its high a while ago, likely.
  • Options
    The Friends reference doesn't seem important in the long run.

Emily and Rachael is a way better sibset than Emily and Zelda.
    January 3T Siggy Challenge - New Year's Resolutions
    imageimage

Me (29), DH (30) TTC actively 54 55+ cycles | All BFNs
    MFI (low everything) | Endo Stage 1 & Stenotic Cervix (treated) | PCO
    Married - July 2008 | Started TTC - Jan 2009RE Visit #1 - Mar 2014 
    IUI #1 ICI #1 - June | IUI #1.1 Laparoscopy - Aug
    IUIs #1.2, 2, 3 - Sept, Oct, Nov (Letrozole) - BFNs 
    IUI #4 - Dec (Bravelle) | IUI #5 - Dec/Jan (Bravelle) - 5 follies + TI - BFNs
    IUI #5.1 - Jan (Bravelle) Cancelled 
    Planning to start IVF in March!
    ***All Welcome***
  • Options
    I don't love Rachel, but it is fine. Emily and Monica is better.
  • Options
    I am a Friends fan and didn't make that connection until you pointed it out.  Zelda is a fine name, but doesn't fit with Rachel or Emily.  I agree with PPs that Rachel is a bit dated, but it's still a nice name.  Emily is great.  Just a few suggestions:  Emily and Kate, Emily and Elizabeth, Emily and Caroline, Emily and Charlotte
  • Options
    I like Zelda and Rachel as pp suggested. I see the thing about Pet Semetary but honestly I read it twice and didn't remember that connection. I don't know why but I am not crazy about Emily. Nothing wrong with it just nms. Here are a few suggestions, if you're interested.

Rachel and Cecily
    Rachel and Eloise
    Rachel and Vera
    Rachel and Helen
    Rachel and Hazel
    Rachel and Eden
    Rachel and Claire
    Rachel and Lydia

Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I like Emily Rose, but the Exorcism movie is a little creepy, but maybe not as relevant for their generation--same with friends. I like Rachel, but Kate feels like a fn and not a mn name to me.

Zelda--definetly the video game connection.

If you want to go fullout Friends reference you could always name her Rachel Karen---J/K ;)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"