April 2015 Moms

scared

Good day all, I have a silly question. I am 21 and a half weeks with my first pregnancy and I used a doppler 2 days ago to check the heart beat and couldn't find it. I was going crazy and still am. I don't feel kicks just yet but have felt what's described as "popcorn" popping in my tummy. I have seen my bump on one side of my tummy and then the bump goes to another section. Is everything okay? Should I refrain from using the doppler all together?

Re: scared

• emarsh0415emarsh0415 member
    edited December 2014

Doppler's are really not that reliable. My OB sometimes has a hard time finding a heartbeat right away and flat out told me to spare myself the anxiety and not buy a home use doppler. I wouldn't worry too much.

I also didn't feel too much movement until I was about 22 weeks. Depending on where your placenta is, can also depend on if you feel baby, if the placenta is in the front (anterior) then you are likely to not feel as much. Try not to worry, if you are really concerned call your OB's office to see if they are concerned about it and if you can come in.

• If you are still feeling movement (like the popcorn pops--those are kicks) I wouldn't let it worry you. Dopplers can be hard to use--second @MOtownMama‌'s suggestion to bring it in.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you all for the support, at times I just get so worried.. I'm in love with the little peanut :)
  • Are you using the gel too? 

chances are you are looking too high up.

I would try not to stress.  Use some lube or u/s gel and look lower (under belly button down to pube line) next time. 

DD 7/2010, DS 3/2012, #3 due 4/24/2015

• Don't stress too much about the doppler, sometimes it can be really hard to find the heart beat. A lot of times babies don't like being poked by it anyways, so they move away from it. My little guy moves away the second you have it on him. They have to chase him around to be able to get the heart rate at my appointments. Stop using it if it stresses you out. If you decide you want to keep trying to find the heart beat, just remind yourself that it's hard to find and it doesn't mean anything if you can't find it. That popcorn you're feeling are movements from you baby, so it sounds like he or she is alive and kicking in there! :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Be sure to use the gel and start really low and work your way up. That's what my FIL recommended to me and he's a doctor.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• The main thing my doctor told me when I told her I had a doppler is to NEVER rely on that. Some times you'll find them, some times you wont.. but don't panic. Try using LOTS of gel and just be patient, go slow, start low and work your way up. They're bouncing all over the place in there! Good luck!
  • I skipped the Doppler, knew I'd be "addicted" once I figured it out
    Just stay healthy, worry-free, & try to learn the right techniques. Also, I'm a FTM with an anterior placenta. I juiuust started feeling movement. I'm now 23+3
    J+J 05.12  .  N 04.15  .   No.2 due 06.17
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"