September 2012 Moms

Ignore if you hate PT posts...

I know not everyone loves talking about PTing, but I figure there are no pictures attached, so maybe you can help me out.  DD does a great job peeing in the toilet when at home and wears undies, etc, but the kid seems to be afraid to poop.  Not sure why, since she's done it before on her potty.  I think she holds it until I put a pull-up on her for naptime, but knowing that she has to go soon makes her a whiny, agitated mess. 

Then, since she holds it until she's in a diaper, she ends up needing a diaper change 10 min after I put her to bed, every. single. time.  Any advice on what I should do?  Should I revert to diapers during the day?  She'll even say "I pooped!" when she knows it's coming, but her diaper will be dry and she won't go when I sit her on the potty.  :-/

Re: Ignore if you hate PT posts...

• Have you tried the little potty? I have read some kids having a fear of pooping because they don't like the feeling of it falling (did I read that here?). So little potty is a good first step if it is the big potty problem.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• How does she do with reward charts? Sticker for pooping in the potty do anything for her?

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Loading the player...
  • Yes, she has a little potty, and uses it interchangeably with the normal one.  We did stickers for initially getting her interested in sitting on the potty in the first place, and then use treats like a yogurt covered pretzel or an m&m for successfully going. I haven't tried a chart where she can see her progress- maybe I should.
  • Maya did the exact same thing when first PTing.  We started offering prizes for going in the potty, usually stuff from the dollar bins at Target.  We did it for 2 or 3 weeks and, once she started doing it consistently, it would gross her out when she did it in her pull-up, so she started just pooping on the potty.
  • We went the way on not using pull ups, so not a ton of help, but DD would also hold it if she thought she was going to get a pull up at any point during the day or night.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • hmp1 said:

How does she do with reward charts? Sticker for pooping in the potty do anything for her?

I was going to suggest a potty poop reward. Stickers work well for us. Maybe a bunch of little do-dads from the dollar section at Target.

In the 3-day book pay of the preparation is talking about icky poop is when it's in a diaper.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We did a sticker chart for Sawyer. Pees in the potty get a little happy face sticker. Poops get a gigantic sparkly amazing Frozen sticker. It worked. She was afraid to poop at first, bribery works well with her.

Emma Rose - 9.14.05    Beckett - 5.26.07    Sawyer - 9.22.12    Lennon Mae - 9.26.14
  • All it took for Ethan was a big cousin telling him how gross pooping in a diaper was.  He was actually pooping on the potty before being on it.  I think the cousin needs to come for a visit and have a talk with Sean ;)
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
  • danabsd said:
    How does she do with reward charts? Sticker for pooping in the potty do anything for her?
    I was going to suggest a potty poop reward. Stickers work well for us. Maybe a bunch of little do-dads from the dollar section at Target. In the 3-day book pay of the preparation is talking about icky poop is when it's in a diaper. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    How do you make them understand that it's pooping in the diaper that's gross, and not just pooping in general, or them while their pooping?  Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I feel like she'd hold it forever if she thought it was gross to do, and then have a crying fit when she finally went. 
  • I'm the last person to give you advice - but at least I'll tell you that you're not alone.  :)  For about 9 months Brody waited until that pull up was on at bedtime and went in it.  He hated pooping on the potty.  The first month or so, he'd just go in his underwear, then realized he could hold it all day.  Ugh.

We bought a bunch of small $3 little people toys and bribed him every time he pooped on the potty.  And we promised him chocolate, and ice cream and absolutely anything in the whole world.  He couldn't be bought for nothing.  He's a stubborn little man.  He finally just started doing it.  

(Also, I don't mind the PTing posts on a forum especially made for those types of discussions - it's the Facebook play by play and the pictures that get me)

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

• danabsd said:

hmp1 said:

I was going to suggest a potty poop reward. Stickers work well for us. Maybe a bunch of little do-dads from the dollar section at Target.

In the 3-day book pay of the preparation is talking about icky poop is when it's in a diaper.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

How do you make them understand that it's pooping in the diaper that's gross, and not just pooping in general, or them while their pooping?  Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I feel like she'd hold it forever if she thought it was gross to do, and then have a crying fit when she finally went. 

The act of pooping was never the gross part. Only poop being in a diaper.
    Poop in diaper was yuck. Poop in potty included a celebration culminating in a sticker.
    We also threw in some 'oh look Binny made poopy in her diaper because she's a baby and that's what babies do and you're a big girl.'

Or... A day or two of fiber filled foods can help her not be able to hold it?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We bribe poops with lollipops. But Penny doesn't want to poop in a diaper...she just doesn't want to poop at all!

Could you get her to try sitting on her potty before nap? And Pen also loves the everybody poops book...My DH is a saint, I'm pretty sure he knows it by heart now.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"