April 2015 Moms
Options

**Home Birth Check-In 12/18**

Good morning my fellow home birth ladies (@MrsMopar67 @Audrey1787 @MitoRachel @3GirlsMama @kdenke @whippoorwill3 @thiscrazylifeilove @stephaniejfree)! I hope you are all doing well. Let’s hear about your home birth plans!

*** If you haven’t posted before in the check-in, tell us a little about yourself and your home birth plans (how many, if any, previous children do you have? Is this your first planned home birth? What made you decide on home birth? Etc)***

~ What is your plan for after the birth? Will you have help at home or be on your own right away?

~ Question posed by past poster: If you already have children, what are your plans for them? Do you plan on having them stay at home, or go elsewhere? If you have previously birthed at home with children in the home, how did you prepare them for the event, and how did they handle it?

~ I asked this before, but it was on Thanksgiving and the board was slow that day, so I will ask again. If you have already answered and do not want to again, no worries: How do you picture the environment of your home during the birth?

~ Is there anything else you would like to discuss?

**NOTE** As the next two Thursdays (12/25 and 1/1) fall on major Holidays, I will not be posting check-ins on either of those weeks, as I will be spending time with family those days, and I am sure you all will be too. I will resume normal weekly check-ins on the following Thursday, January 8th

As always, if you would like to be tagged in future home birth check-ins, please participate in the check-in or let me know you want to be on the list, so I can add you for future weeks.

Me: 25, DH: 28, Baby #1 Due: April 30, 2015

Team BLUE!!

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: **Home Birth Check-In 12/18**

• Options
    MitoRachelMitoRachel member
    edited December 2014
    What is your plan for after the birth? Will you have help at home or be on your own right away? DH will take a week off of work. I'm hoping to either have family or hire someone everyday for his first week back to work. Finally, I am going to try really hard to find someone to help around the house one day a week until the baby is at least 3 months. Historically I have pushed myself too hard during the newborn stage and then my body has crashed hard. 
    Question posed by past poster: If you already have children, what are your plans for them? Do you plan on having them stay at home, or go elsewhere? If you have previously birthed at home with children in the home, how did you prepare them for the event, and how did they handle it? My plan is to have them home if/when they are sleeping and at a neighbor's when they are awake. I have already starting talking to my oldest (he'll just be 3 in April) about how mommies usually make lots of noise when pushing babies out, and have attempted to groan as an example. :) I'm not as worried about my daughter who will be almost 2 at the time. She is not nearly as sensitive about stuff like that and actually seems to enjoy noise and chaos! 
    I asked this before, but it was on Thanksgiving and the board was slow that day, so I will ask again. If you have already answered and do not want to again, no worries: How do you picture the environment of your home during the birth? Quiet and dark. Once I reach transition I want my DH and midwife to tell me that I am completely amazing. :) 
    Is there anything else you would like to discuss? Do people bring up discomforts with their midwife at appointments, or only significant health concerns? I have started bringing discomforts up with my midwife. Not only has she helped me feel so much more comfortable, but has actually nipped some fairly big health problems in the bud! This is totally different than any care I have received before, and I was just curious if this is the "midwife model" or somewhat unique.
    Married to E on June 5, 2010
    Gave birth to baby boy, I, on March 25, 2012
    Gave birth to baby girl, A, on May 20, 2013
    Baby #3 due April 29, 2015

Recovering from mitochondrial dysfunction and Addison's/possibly very severe adrenal burn out using food, medicine, and a large amount of garden therapy.
  • Options

What is your plan for after the birth? Will you have help at home or be on your own right away? I have my mom, MIL, and two sisters nearby so they'll all be on call to help as needed. My H is planning on taking off a week of work but he gets cabin fever pretty easily so he might end up going back to work sooner. Probably the biggest thing I'll need help with is DD but I think between all my family members who live here she'll have plenty of people to keep her entertained.

If you already have children, what are your plans for them? Do you plan on having them stay at home, or go elsewhere? If you have previously birthed at home with children in the home, how did you prepare them for the event, and how did they handle it? My DD will be 2.5 in April so she doesn't really understand what's going to happen. I'm planning on having my mom or sister come pick her up when labor starts unless it's night, in which case I'll let her sleep and have my mom on standby. My last birth only took 4 hours total so my birth team almost missed it. It makes me nervous that things will go faster this time and I'll end up delivering alone with just DD there. If that happens my plan is to just turn on a movie and give her a snack and go have the baby in my bathroom. Really hope that's not the the case but I'll be ready if it is! 

How do you picture the environment of your home during the birth? Quiet and peaceful. Not planning on having any music but my last birth my H sang to me while I pushed and I loved it so I asked him to do that again. I'm planning to pick out a candle or some oils to use to have a nice fragrance. We're planning on having a birth tub and will set it up in the nursery because it's the room with the most open space and is right next to the bathroom. We did the same thing with my DD's birth and it was really neat to labor where I could see everything we had ready for her.

((A15 Siggy Challenge: Workout Fails - -Tobias Funke))

BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @MitoRachel The thought of you demonstrating a labor groan to your son made me chuckle.
    ((A15 Siggy Challenge: Workout Fails - -Tobias Funke))

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

~ What is your plan for after the birth? Will you have help at home or be on your own right away? I am not really sure on my plan yet. I know DH is planning on taking time off work, but I don’t know how much. I know that MIL will probably want to “stay with us” for a while, but that isn’t going to fly. But I know I have her available for help if I need it – I just can’t stand her, so I will avoid that if at all possible – I will probably have her take our dog to her house for a few days, which will actually be helpful I think. My mom will also be willing to help out when needed, so that is an option I will use. As a FTM, I have no idea what to expect in the post-partum period, so I don’t really know what help I will need. Luckily though, I think with being a FTM, it is a little easier, because I don’t have older children to worry about, just the dog. I am hoping to get lots of frozen meals prepped a head of time so I won’t have to worry about cooking, and I am sure people will want to bring food as well, which will help. DH is really good about helping with laundry and dishes and such, so I know he will be willing to do that. Though, he will also be a FTD and be working full time, so I am sure he would appreciate either my mom or his mom coming in a couple times a week, possibly, to help with that. We have also discussed possibly hiring someone to come in once a week or so to help with the house, but we still aren’t sure on that. We will see J

~ If you already have children, what are your plans for them? Do you plan on having them stay at home, or go elsewhere? If you have previously birthed at home with children in the home, how did you prepare them for the event, and how did they handle it?  FTM here, so no older children to consider with this go around of birth. Just have to figure out what to do with our pup.

~ How do you picture the environment of your home during the birth? For some reason, every time I picture going into labor, I picture it being late at night/early in the morning when it is still dark outside (my poor birth team). I picture not having any house lights on, and just having candles lit and/or like twinkle lights for a little bit of a soft light feel. I picture it being very calm and everyone around me just supporting me and trusting in the process. Maybe some soft, soothing music playing, but I need to look into that more as an option. But who knows what I will actually want at the time of labor. I just know I want it as calm as possible.

@MitoRachel ~ In regards to your question on discussing discomforts with your midwife, I would say that I don’t think it is unique to the midwife model – as in, I think that is pretty common to discuss in the midwife mode of care. I know from the people that have had midwifes that I know, they have stated that they feel much more connected to their midwife and talk to them about things they wouldn’t talk to the OBGYN about. I have actually been doing concurrent care with my home birth midwife as well as the midwife in my OBGYN’s office and I notice a COMPLETELY different model of care between the two. I discuss discomforts, worries, etc with my home birth midwife that I don’t discuss with my OBGYN midwife. But that is just my experience.

Team BLUE!!

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    @Audrey1787 I apologized to the midwife for taking a whole hr. for my appointment today and she said that she actually schedules the appointments an hour a part, so that if we need the time we can take it. If I took an hr. with my OBs I would have messed up their whole schedule for the day. Not the OB's fault, just the way it is.

Recovering from mitochondrial dysfunction and Addison's/possibly very severe adrenal burn out using food, medicine, and a large amount of garden therapy.
  • Options
    @MitoRachel ~ That's one big difference I noticed between my home birth midwife and the doctor's office. While I spend about an hour total at each, with my home birth midwife, I actually spend the hour with her, not in a waiting room for the majority of the time. I timed my last office visit to the normal OBGYN office and it was 45 minutes in the waiting room + another 10 waiting in the actual room and 7 minutes with the midwife.

Team BLUE!!

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    @MitoRachel ~ That's one big difference I noticed between my home birth midwife and the doctor's office. While I spend about an hour total at each, with my home birth midwife, I actually spend the hour with her, not in a waiting room for the majority of the time. I timed my last office visit to the normal OBGYN office and it was 45 minutes in the waiting room + another 10 waiting in the actual room and 7 minutes with the midwife.
    So true! I can't bring my husband with me to dr. appointments because he gets so antsy in the waiting room!

• Options
    ~ What is your plan for after the birth? Will you have help at home or be on your own right away?

My in laws will be around. They will stay around if I need them or go home if we would like to be alone. My parents will come within the first couple weeks and stay with us for a few days as well. My husband will most likely take off a week of work. I imagine I will prefer to be alone, but I feel very fortunate to have family willing and able to help nearby.

~ Question posed by past poster: If you already have children, what are your plans for them? Do you plan on having them stay at home, or go elsewhere? If you have previously birthed at home with children in the home, how did you prepare them for the event, and how did they handle it?

Because my husband's family lives nearby, I will be able to wing it. The plan is for my daughter to be around (I would like her to be there), but if she is scared or not interested, someone will be available to take her away.

~ How do you picture the environment of your home during the birth?

I honestly have no idea. We are in the middle of some home construction projects, and my brother in law might be moving in with us, so I don't even know where I want to set things up (like the tub). I need to spend some time planning and visualizing a best case scenario.

~ Is there anything else you would like to discuss?

• Options
    Hey mamas!
    We are having our first son & 2nd homebirth. We had our daughter at home and it was magical. I fell in love with birth and became a doula shortly after. I had really bad HG this time around (lost 33lbs between 6-12 weeks), so it feels good to finally be excited about this baby!
    Em, our daughter, will be there for the birth and my sister in law will be there to help us take care of her. She will be 3 when the time comes, so we've been talking to her lots about what will happen on D day. There's a kids book about water birth, and she LOVES to read it. :)
  • Options
    ClayneseClaynese member
    edited December 2014
    "What is your plan for after the birth? Will you have help at home or be on your own right away?"
    My hub is taking 2 weeks off more so to help DD adjust to having to share mommy with s baby. My girls all live within 10 min from me, and will definitely be by (likely everyday) with coffees and food.
  • Options

Sorry I'm late!  It's been quite a week.

What is your plan for after the birth? Will you have help at home or be on your own right away?  DH's parents live nearby so I'm hoping they will stop in / take the older kids so I can have a little quiet time with the new one :)  I'm sure my mom / mom and dad will be visiting at some time for a bit.  Honestly I'm hoping we're not going to be overwhelmed with company.  I'm not really good at setting limits with my family and I tend to figure everything will be fine until it's actually here...then I get overwhelmed.  Hmm, something to think about.

~ Question posed by past poster: If you already have children, what are your plans for them? Do you plan on having them stay at home, or go elsewhere? If you have previously birthed at home with children in the home, how did you prepare them for the event, and how did they handle it?  Since we will have four at home, unless I go into labor very suddenly in the night, they will likely be with DH's parents.  I just think I will need to focus on relaxing more than I would be able to with the kiddos here. 

How do you picture the environment of your home during the birth?  I haven't thought too much about the environment, just that it won't be the hospital.  I think my normal home environment (without kiddo chaos) will be great!

We had our ultrasound last week, Team Green so we didn't find out the sex, but everything looks great!  What a relief.  Baby is measuring right on for my EDD, which is always reassuring.  Here's a pic ;)

Haha, my username should read "3Girlsand1BoyMama"...with #5 on the way!  (and then we're done.)

Me, 33, DH, 32  DDs 9, 7, 4 and DS 2.  EDD #5 4-29-15

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Sorry I'm so late to the party! I don't get on here often enough.

~ What is your plan for after the birth? Will you have help at home or be on your own right away? We haven't planned for any help, so it will most likely be me and hubby. My parents live closeby so I'm expecting them to be around if we need help.

~ Question posed by past poster: If you already have children, what are your plans for them? Do you plan on having them stay at home, or go elsewhere? If you have previously birthed at home with children in the home, how did you prepare them for the event, and how did they handle it? I'm going to have my mom be in charge of my son if it's a time when he's not at school or not asleep. I am hoping for him to be present if he's home and awake as long as I can handle him being around and he isn't upset.

~ I asked this before, but it was on Thanksgiving and the board was slow that day, so I will ask again. If you have already answered and do not want to again, no worries: How do you picture the environment of your home during the birth? I am picturing a relaxing and quiet environment. For some reason I'm envisioning it to be evening or overnight, maybe because ds was born in the evening!

~ Is there anything else you would like to discuss? I broke my ankle so I've been quite sedentary and even though I eat generally healthy, I've gained as much weight so far (24.5 weeks) as I did my entire first pregnancy. Hoping this doesn't affect my glucose test and that I can start up yoga again in the next month!
    BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"