Working Moms
Options

Daycare "shows"- Do you go?

Tomorrow is DS Christmas show at school. He is 22 months old so what this show entails I have no idea, but I think its funny. I am not planning to go and feel somewhat guilty about it. My parents are going, so he will havea someone there, then they will just take him home after. Its at 315pm and I work an hour away from DC (its by our house) and while I would love to go I also feel guilty leaving work early.

What do you guys do?

Re: Daycare "shows"- Do you go?

• Options
    I would go. It'll be ridiculously cute.
  • Options
    K3am said:
    I'd probably go. But I work somewhere that's okay with me taking off to do kid related things. (We actually have up to 40 hours a year we can take of for school events with pay. Something I only very recently found out)
    Sounds like you have a great, family-focuses work place! Lucky!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @k3am that is awesome! ive never heard that before. 
  • Options
    That's a tough one. DS1 had his first show yesterday and all he did was stand there, trying not to cry while they played a song everyone was supposed to sing to. It was super cute but it was at 7pm so I didn't have to take time off from work to watch it. 

It really depends on your workplace and how flexible they are. I was really excited about DS's show and likely would have taken time off to watch it but also would have worked from home afterwards to make up the hours. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I'd go if I could.  Friday afternoon the week before Christmas should be an okay time to leave work early.  Our daycare's programs are always in the evening but I make sure to be there as DS cries Every. Single. Time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• Options
    I would definitely go if I could. Your DS will never have one of these again as a 22 month old. I hate missing things with my kids because I always think that someday I won't be doing it anymore and it makes me sad. I know I am a dork lol but working full time and being a single mom, I have missed a lot of stuff that I will never be able to get back.
  • Options

If you have the flexibility and time, sure.  If not, I wouldn't stress it at that age. 

I really don't have time to go this year.  I am slammed and it means leaving a few hours early right before being out for a week.  But I feel intense pressure to be there.  DS is 4 now and has specifically asked that I go. 

I just wish they did these parties later in the day.  3:30p is not convenient.

• Options
    I think at that age, you can skip if you absolutely can't make it.  I sent my nanny last year for my 2-yo's school program.  I felt bad but they didn't give much warning on the date/time and I just could not make it.  This year I went because she honestly would know that I wasn't there.
  • Options
    Ok thanks. My boss just told me if its slow that I should go, I didnt ask, he offered that up. So I guess Ill see how it is tomorrow at 130pm and go from there...if its anything like today-they wont miss me.
  • Options
    I always go, but DC is in the same building as my office, so it takes me an elevator ride to go down there. If it was further, I may not go. I feel like I already do enough stuff with DS on weekends that he won't mind if I don't show up for an event here or there.
  • Options
    I would go. We have 8 hours a year (in addition to vacation and sick time and holidays) for school time activities like concerts, etc.

My 3 year olds preschool holiday show is tonight at 7, which is a little late but convenient for working parents. I am so happy to go and DD1 is rediculously excited!!
    IVF, acupuncture, meditation and a miracle. 

Our sweet Valentine's Day FET.

• Options
    I always go to the parties/shows/field trips when I can. I can't always, but they know that I do when I can. I am lucky to have a lot of flexibility though, so going is generally not a big problem unless I have something that can't be cancelled/moved.  To the pp right above me, that is a really nice benefit!!!!
  • Options
    I wasn't going to go to our DC's Winter Festival because Henry is 6 months old...but then they told me the babies were going to be shaking bells. So I went and watched my son shake some bells while toddlers messed up Christmas classics. It was awesome!

imageimageimage
    H e n r y  May 21, 2014

• Options
    I would go. I love DS's programs.  They are too cute!
  • Options
    Yes, but our daycare did the holiday program in the evening, so it was easy to attend. I didn't attend the Halloween parade because it was at 10:00 am. So if you can make it, awesome, but if not, I wouldn't stress about it.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Options
    I'm going. This is the first year DS has been in a center that does a show. Or I should say I'm here now waiting for it to start! I say go :)
  • Options
    I went and missed half of it. Apparently, Ds was super pouty I wasn't there.

I felt like shit. I was 3 minutes late and missed half the show. :(
  • Options
    At minimum, I try to go to stuff other parents go to. Then again, we have gone to things and been the only toddler parents there (older classes had lots of parents the but no toddler class parents came) which was completely surreal and in some respects felt like a waste of pto.

\image  image

• Options

Yes, I go.  The teachers put a lot of effort in to these productions. I know for our holiday event they worked with the kids for a solid month teaching them songs and getting them prepared for the performance.  The teachers are up on stage with dozens of 1-5 year olds, trying to keep their attention, getting them to sit still.  It is a lot of work for them. 

In addition to being fun to watch my child's ridiculous but adorable behavior, I go to show my appreciation for the teachers and school. 

But if you can't get away, then you can't.  There will be other opportunities so join in special events - we can't do them all.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"