February 2015 Moms
Options

Iffy Baby shower situation

lacroley90lacroley90 member
edited December 2014 in February 2015 Moms
so my aunts on my mothers side want to throw me a shower. My little man is due feb 20th. Only thing is...I feel like a baby shower is kind of inconvenient. Most of my friends don't live in town. In fact almost all of them live anywhere from an 1 hour to 12 hours away. I feel like if I have a baby shower it will end up being an embarrassingly small turn out.
Is it weird/rude to send out some kind of baby announcement stating when I'm due and where I'm registered...and maybe reveal the baby's name instead of having an actual shower??
At this point it's giving me anxiety.
Any thoughts ? Do people do that??
Thanks!

Re: Iffy Baby shower situation

• Options
    No, it is not something people do.
    http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f2/7c/80/f27c808876dd02ae89989d3c796a8f30.jpgimage
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersBabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    You're joking, right?
  • Options
    I live away (mostly a 10 hr flight from almost all of my best friends and family, and my DH's family and friends as well). My friend up here threw me a shower and there were only 9 people total in the city to invite and only 7 were able to make it. But it was still a very fun experience that I was grateful for.

I get that living far from loved ones is hard and that a lot of people who haven't experienced it don't understand and take t for granted, but it really is better to make the best of it, IMO. Years from now I'm betting you'll be glad you celebrated your LO and your new step into motherhood.
  • Options
    Also, like pp's said, don't do the name announcement-registry thing; it comes across as gift grabby (even if t wasn't intended that way).
  • Options
    And, I get that families aren't perfect, but I'd have loved for even a single member of my family to have been able to be at my shower. Not that I'm trying to diminish your anxiety, just thought t might be useful for you to get some alternative perspectives.
  • Options
    I have little to no friends /family here too, so my sister came up with the idea of doing a long distance shower, by mail. Haven't seen the full extent of her plan yet, but she is supposed to be sending me a box with supplies to make a party corner in the house where I can open what people send and take pics to share with everyone. This was all her plan and I think it's pretty creative! Invites just went out, so I can't wait to see how this goes!
  • Options
    I have little to no friends /family here too, so my sister came up with the idea of doing a long distance shower, by mail. Haven't seen the full extent of her plan yet, but she is supposed to be sending me a box with supplies to make a party corner in the house where I can open what people send and take pics to share with everyone. This was all her plan and I think it's pretty creative! Invites just went out, so I can't wait to see how this goes!
    We did this for one of my BFF's who lives in Miami.  Its a virtual shower.  We all logged into a video chat and played games and sent her gifts.  It was kinda fun.  It was great to be able to chat with friends I hadn't seen in a while.  I even had a few friends of mine over my place so we could all log on together from there and made a mini party out of it.  Some people find this tacky but at the time she had just moved to miami from NH and had no friends or family so this was a great way for us to show her our support.
    ****Siggy Warning***
    Me-35 Hubby-36

CP-11/2013
    CP-4/2014
    BFP-06/2014-EDD 02/16/2015
    Valentine boy born 02/14/2015
    BFP-08/2016 MC 6wks
    Surprise BFP-09/13/16 EDD 5/26/17

PitaPata Dog tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Oh FFs
  • Options
    I know a girl who did this. Every few weeks, she would post a status update reminding everyone when she was due and where she was registered "so if you want to send me gifts, you can." No. I doubt she got much.
    F15 December Siggy Challenge: Holiday Decoration Fails

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Natalie Ann is on her way!
     BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I ran into this problem so I just had my shower after thanksgiving and capitalized on people that were coming in town. You may be able to do thus for Christmas? However there is nothing wrong with a small shower. To help with a better turn out ( I ended up with over 50 people) I sent my invitations from September. A classier way to tell people about your registry is to send out a card announcing the name and a link to your pregnancy blog (if you have one) and have the registry link on there. Most people will call and ask where you are registered anyway
  • Options
    @erobbins09‌

I completely agree. For me, the shower was more about cake (aka celebrating) than it was gifts. I didn't expect or ask for anything.

The gift grabbiness that comes out when some people are having a baby is unappealing, for sure!
  • Options
    Showers are for your nearest and dearest, not everyone you know. You should be grateful for anyone who shows up to your shower instead of being upset over the amount of people. Sending out your registry to people is not a thing. It's quite rude. If a friend sent me one I would feel like a wallet not a friend.
  • Options
    It's more embarrassing and tacky to send out a birth announcement with your registry information on it, than it is to have a shower with a small turnout.
    TTC 1.0
    17 months TTC and 1miscarriage, 1 chemical pregnancy, rainbow baby born 2/16/15
    TTC 2.0
    16 months TTC, 2 chemical pregnancies, EDD 6/3/17
  • Options
    The shower isn't only for/about you. Let your aunt's do something to celebrate for themselves. They're excited. And what everyone else said about the whole gift grabby aspect.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I would rather attend a small shower than a 30+ person shower.

Think of it like a group of family and friends getting together at a restaurant for brunch. You'll sit and talk about names, baby gear, how parenting has changed over the years, and (unfortunately) other women's birth experiences. You'll eat, and people will give you presents. You'll be able to talk to everyone, and really admire and show your appreciation for their gift. They'll help you to your car and you'll be able to have the thank you notes done that evening.

Large showers are awkward, because not everyone knows each other and small talk is tedious. You'll play stupid games, try to catch up with people you haven't seen in a while but will feel pulled in 1,000 different directions. You'll eat, and before you finish it will be time to open presents because of a time crunch. You have to open presents quickly and there is no time to pass around or discuss the cute stuff. You'll get home exhausted, and it will take weeks to get all the thank you notes out.

IVF/ICSI #1 - BFP, DS born Jan 2013
    IVF/ICSI #2 - BFP, DD born Feb 2015
    IVF FET - BFP, due April 2017

• Options
    I live 6 hours away from my family. My coworker insisted on throwing me a baby shower, so they are throwing me a baby shower! I sent invites to my family, near and far, and I have already talked to Atleast 10 family members who will be traveling a great distance to be at it (weather playing a huge factor). An invite went to my church and my close friends. More people would show up than you think. But I think in order to ask people for gifts, or just send people registry info, you should have a shower. Let your aunts do something for you! What could it hurt?
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with a small shower
    -------------------------------
    Sarah, 35 bumping from NE Ohio
    Married my love 4/22/2006
    DD born 10/12/2009
    DS born sleeping 2/23/2013 full trisomy 18
    Baby 3 due 2/13/2015
    Pregnancy Ticker}
  • Options

I haven't read through all the responses but you mentioned that most o fyour friends live about 1.5 hrs away. Do they all live in the same area as each other?? If so, why don't you go to them?

My family lives in east texas. About 2 hours away from me.  I will be having a shower there so they don't have to travel. :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"