July 2014 Moms

Pumping on the go?

chelseakae07chelseakae07 member
edited December 2014 in July 2014 Moms
editing bc half got deleted- Hi ladies! I am currently a SAHM and am nursing full time (my baby refuses a bottle) every 2-3 hours. Long story short, would it kill my milk supply if I went 6 hours 2x/week without pumping? Any advice as to how/where to pump when on the go? Panera bathroom? Car?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Pumping on the go?

• If you're traveling out and about, do the car.  If you're at the mall, look for a nursing area.  I doubt 2x a week for 6 hours is going to hurt much.  
    *SIGGY*
    Baby G born 6/6/14, 37 weeks 1 day due to preeclampsia.  5lb12oz 19"
    #2 due Christmas 2016. 

• I'll be starting a job as a nutrition counselor and doing in home nutrition visits. I will be away from baby for 6 hours at most but stopping to pump in a public restroom just doesn't cut it. Glad to hear 6 hour stretches won't drop my supply!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I am an EI provider and live in my car.  I have a set up and I pump between visits.  It's a pain but I have a pretty smooth system.  I have my stuff organized on my front seat in a trunk organizer that it's belted in so it can't go flying.  I use a hands free bra and a nursing cover.  It works really well and honestly I'm better able to pump on time than when I had my DD1 and was in the classroom and would get caught up in something and forget to go pump.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I'm pretty sure that the law allows you to pump wherever you might otherwise nurse. I am an exclusive pumper (and mostly lurker) and when I took a road trip with my husband and baby I just pumped in whatever restaurant we'd stop in for lunch (mostly Panera bread). I never got hassled, just a few odd looks here and there. I wouldn't want to pump in the bathroom -- seems unsanitary -- at least in a toilet stall, anyway.
  • 6 hours shouldn't kill your supply.  What do you think happens once your kid is STTN?  You may get uncomfortable/engorged, but because it isn't every day, either, it probably won't be a problem.  I would pump in the car, given the choice, based on what you're describing, though.  Also, if your child is eating every 2-3 hours, what are they going to do while you are away for those 6 hours?  If you want them to have milk then, then you'll want to pump so you can supply it for the next time.
  • Thanks for all of the responses! I think I will try to go all 6 hours without pumping and see how that goes. I'd rather not waste extra time away from DD! I'll be leaving her home with homemade baby food mixed with breast milk (she currently refuses a bottle but can last 6 hours on baby food without me). Thanks!!!
    Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"