Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Nap Problems

I'm having nap problems with my 15 month old.  The first issue is him taking short naps (only 30 minutes).  He has been doing this for a long time.  A month or two ago I finally got him to put himself to sleep for naps (before he was rocked to sleep for naps; but it was getting harder and harder to put him down without waking up).  I thought this would help with him taking longer naps, but it's still 30 minutes like clockwork.  He wakes up cranky and fussy/crying so he definitely seems to need more sleep.  I think he is starting to transition to one nap and there is no way 30 minutes is long enough.  But the couple times he has taken just one nap it's still only 30 minutes.  Anyone had any luck getting your LO to take longer naps??
Second issue I'm having this week is he won't go to sleep for his naps.  He'll start fussing or talking to himself and sits up or stands up and eventually cries.  
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Re: Nap Problems

• Options
    Is his nap too early or is he overtired? Or is he running around a lot prior to napping? Basically is he tired when he first goes down? How long does he sleep at night?
  • Options
    Is it possible to push his nap back later? When DS was transitioning to one nap, he would be a mess around 9 ish, but if I could keep him entertained and busy till closer to 11 (either giving him a really big snack or lunch) he took one longer 2-3 hr nap.
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    what time is he up in the am? when does he go to sleep? when are you putting him down for naps?

ds1 was a 45 min napper for AGES, until he went to one nap and then he finally started extending to 1-2 hours. he always slept well at night so i didn't complain too much.

sounds like your ds might be overtired? babbling or rolling around crib before nap seems normal, but as for crying hard i would go back in and hold him silently for about 30 seconds and then put him back down. every once in awhile my little guy doesn't want to go down for his nap but just needs a little reassurance/love and then goes straight down.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    He sleeps great at night from about 7pm to 6:30am.
    He used to take his first nap around 9am, but would only sleep for 30 minutes.  Then he would take a second 30 minute nap around 2pm.
    This morning he refused to nap at 9:30am.  I put him down at 12:30pm after lunch and he went right to sleep, but woke up after 30 minutes.
    When he won't go to sleep for his nap, if I go in and try to soothe him and then leave the room, he becomes hysterical.  
  • Options
    agree on trying to move to one nap. it was harder with ds1 and i had to do it gradually. he couldn't stay up much past 10:30/11 at first, but eventually extended with less difficulty. i'd leave him at the half hour mark and see if he goes back down on his own. i never had any success extending naps, but i remember reading about lots of people on these boards who did. you may want to move his bedtime a little earlier when you first start, esp if he's going down for one short nap.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My LO was a poor napper, until I discovered he hates napping in his crib. He will STTN in his crib, but won't do a good nap there.

He started out napping on the couch for 3-4 hours!!!! But I was afraid of him rolling off so I was also tied to the couch for that 3-4 hours. Worse things, right?

I ended up putting a papasan chair cushion on the floor in his room. He now naps 2-3 hours. He does tend to wake up once or twice crying. I just go in and lay down with him, rub his back, sing and he goes back to sleep.

When he wakes up crying I know he's still tired and so I work to get him back to sleep. I also lay down with him to help him go to sleep initially but it really doesn't take long.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"