Stay at Home Moms

Intro and a question for moms of 2+

djm31012djm31012 member
edited December 2014 in Stay at Home Moms

Hi all! I am a WM turning SAHM in the new year and very much looking forward to my new job, though admittedly am anxious about the change. In addition to becoming a SAHM , I am also expecting baby #2 in May so life will look a WHOLE lot different for us very soon! I am looking forward to participating on this board as my time approaches and thereafter.

My question for moms of 2+ is....DS is in daycare right now 2 days a week and with my sister in law 3 days. He is used to being active and social and out and about (he will be 2 in Feb) but of course will be home with me once I am done work.  I am worried about how to juggle both kids in those first few mos, without DS being totally bored/house bound. I am just looking for some ideas on what you moms have done with older children that arent quite at school age when you welcomed new babies. He does a Little Gym class on Saturday mornings, so either DH or I will continue to take him to that.  In the fall he will be in a 2s program 3 days a week for 3 hours a day..so its really just May-September I am trying to figure out. I am sure when we get into a routine with me home it will be easier but right now it seems overwhelming.  People always say to me they dont know how I work so many hours and juggle a family, but I think SAHM have it just as hard, in some ways harder!

Re: Intro and a question for moms of 2+

• Why are you housebound? Go for walks, let him play outside while the baby sleeps, take him to library, classes, etc. and let the baby sleep in the carseat or in a wrap.I was crazy about not taking ds1 out until he was 3 months old, but didn't have that luxury with ds2. i still stayed home the first couple weeks, so maybe for those weeks you can have your SIL take him out or other family/friends. beyond that, your day will go so much more quickly if you leave the house, for both you and DS. you could also try to join a mom's group and see what kinds of activities they're doing. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I don't know. This will be my first baby without at least a part-time nanny, since I was working FT before! I WILL be semi-house-bound as I am just not willing to take a newborn out in Wisconsin winter plus two other small kids any more than I have to! It's just too hard. We will certainly do some things, but I don't see us bopping around to coffee shops and library hours every day.

Can you have him go to one of the programs still one day/week or is it cost-prohibitive? I think you might love the "day off" after the baby comes and he might enjoy getting out.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • @nicolewi I hear you. My first is a Feb baby and with the winter we had in 2013 we were housebound many days too!

@Iana22 I didnt mean literally housebound. We will definitely be doing walks and parks given the time of year but I was thinking more how to do classes and activities with him and get him around other kids. Story time is a good idea-I know Barnes&Noble does it too.  I am thinking about keeping him in DC 2 days a week for his benefit and to give us some down time, but its expensive and I hate the thought of me being home and him gone all day...that was the whole point of me staying home to begin with.

I am going to look into finding a playgroup as well. We are in a new town (moved in August) and since I work I havent had a chance to do this yet but I definitely will just to meet some kids his age and see what its all about.
  • Hi and welcome to the board!!!

I totally get the worry over the unknown: how to continue your 2yr old's active life with a newborn in tow but I bet you'll do what most of us do and just keep on going with life as usual. :)

Seriously. It was hard to hear but, for me it was true: having a newborn/immobile baby is one of the easiest phases of transitioning with two kids. I put D in the Ergo, packed up all the supplies I needed, and E and I went on about life. She started Kindergarten soon after he was born and was gone M-F from 8:20am - 2:00pm every day BUT I still had 6hrs every day to keep her busy and happy. We went to the park, walked/rode scooters around our neighborhood, went to indoor play/bounce houses, hosted play dates, etc. Once I got the hang of it all logistically (I mean, we only have two hands and newborns need so much STUFF!), it was pretty easy. I even had D at tumbling class and T-ball! I did eventually team up with other families for carpool and afterschool play date trades so I wasn't schlepping D all over town every single day and that really helped.

I think your gut to keep him in care 2 days/wk is a great idea! This helps keep some consistency to his life, which all kids need. :) Don't feel guilty about anything, you have to do what's best for your children.

eclaire 9.10.06  diggy 6.2.11

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"