Trouble TTC
Options

AW... new problems/diagnosis

After my failed IVF in September, I went for a second opinion at a different clinic. The second opinion RE recommended an endometrial biopsy (Endometrial Function Test, aka EFT) to check whether certain proteins were expressing correctly (basically to check whether I may have an implantation problem). The biopsy took place in Nov. I almost decided not to do it, because it costs $600 and I figured the odds of having both an egg quality problem and a uterine lining problem were pretty much nil, but I went through with it anyway on the basis that I wanted to cross all my Ts and dot all my Is as part of getting a thorough second opinion. I had pretty much forgotten about the biopsy, and had already made plans to cycle again in January with my current RE with a slightly revised protocol (adding Saizen to help with egg quality). Today I went to see the second opinion RE to review the biopsy results, and they were abnormal. Apparently I have a mild degree of glandular developmental arrest. This could be related to endometriosis. (I have a probable endometrioma, but no other symptoms of endometriosis, and I've never been treated for this condition). The second opinion RE advised that even a "mild" case of glandular developmental arrest can completely preclude implantation, and that there are two ways of potentially treating this issue 1) endometrial scratch as part of IVF cycle, effective in approximately 80% of cases 2) IVF with freeze-all cycle, followed by 3 months of Lupron Depot (effective in 100% of cases), followed by embryo transfer. He recommended the second option.

I know I'm being whiny, but I really didn't need this. It's enough of a problem to have a small number of eggs that don't work, and now I'm finding out my ute is broken too. Fuck. This. Shit.

I really don't want to go on Lupron Depot, partly because it sounds scary and partly because I'm impatient and the idea of waiting three more months sounds horrible. But if I didn't go through with it and my next cycle didn't work, I'm sure I'd always wonder "what if". UGH.

Official diagnosis: Unexplained IF. I am 32. I have low ovarian reserve (low AMH), and poor egg quality. I've also been diagnosed with mild glandular developmental arrest (lining problems, detected with EFT).

We are using open ID donor sperm. IUIs #1-7=BFN. IVF September 2014 antagonist protocol, 8R,5M,3F, 5 day transfer of 1 morula = BFN. IVF#2 planned for January 2015 (antagonist protocol + HGH).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

Re: AW... new problems/diagnosis

• Options
    I am so sorry you're dealing with this, and certainly understand the anger and sadness.  As ketchup said, give yourself some time (and wine) to absorb this news and all the information the doctor gave you.  When you feel ready, I'm sure you'll make the right choice for you.
    Me: 31 (PCOS) possible right tube issues DH: 36 (SA normal) 
    Started dating in 2006, Married 2012 
    TTC since November 2013 
    First RE visit due to irregular periods: June 2014
    Lap/Hysto to remove polyps, cyst and tube blockage 11/6
    Cycle 1 (Dec. 2014) TI with Clomid, Trigger, & Progesterone CX due to no response
    Impatiently Waiting CD1 to try again with Fermara Back on the bench due to giant cyst,
    who know I'd ovulate on my own after a cancelled cycle and end up with a mega cyst :(
    All Welcome

• Options
    Totally sucky about the new diagnosis. I'm happy the new RE has a plan  although it involves a bit of waiting. Sending ((((hugs))))

***TW****MC mentioned & BFP mentioned***

me 38 DH 39.  
    TTC#1 since July 2014
    AMH 0.1, DOR, Poor responder
    Moved to Prague, Czech Republic for IVF
    2 Natural IVF cycles, 3 full IVF cycles, 4 transfers, 1 BFP - heard heartbeat at 6w5d
    Diagnosed MMC at 9w1d on 11/30/15
    Headed back home to Colorado 12/12/15

DE attempt in Czech Republic!! 

March trip to Prague canceled due to Pancreatitis. :sob:
    Headed to Prague April 30
    3 different donors resulted in 1 PGS tested embryo and 1 fresh embryo
    2 embryo's transferred (from 2 different donors) on 5/10/16
    BFP on 5/15/16 at 5dp5dt
    Beta 1 = 81 at 8dp5dt, Beta 2 = 295 at 10dp5dt, Beta 3 = 891 at 12dt5dt. Beta 4 = 2114 at 14dp5dt, Beta 5 = 4916 at 16dp5dt, Beta 6 = 13252 at 19dp5dt
    Heartbeat at 6w5d 133BPM <3
    We are having a GIRL!!! Due Jan 26, 2017

BabyFruit Ticker

My blog: www.wearethehammitts.blogspot.com

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm sorry for your news. IF is so unfair!!

I think I'd go with lupron depot too. For 100% efficacy-- it would be so worth it IMO to not be let down with another cycle. And that says a lot because I *HATE* lupron, aka the devil drug.

GL with your decision and FX that it brings you your take-home baby!

***SIGGY WARNING***

Our Story

Me- 35, mild hypothyroidism

DH- 29, low count due to a chromosomal abnormality, only option is IVF/ICSI with PGD.

Married 5/13

TTC since 8/13

IVF/ICSI #1 ER 9/14 - 14R, 6M, 6F, 5 blasts off to PGD- 1 normal female, 2 balanced males

FET 12/8 of 2 frosties - 1 male/1 female - stick babies stick! 

Beta #1 10dp5dt 444! Beta #2 14dp5dt 2,340!  U/S 1/5-- TWINS!!!  EDD 8/26/15

"You'll never see the rainbow if you can't survive the storm"

image    image

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I'm so sorry. :( But I am also so happy that they found this!! Good for you for getting a second opinion and going through with the testing!

I love anything that says it can solve a problem "100%" of the time. Not that the endometrium is your only dx, but at least it will be out of the running as an issue. 

I am just so, so sorry that your treatment is being held off so long like this. I think my biggest fears in this process are 1. Never having a child, 2. Having a loss, and 3. Having to postpone next steps for medical/financial/schedule reasons. This really sucks. ((HUGS))
    January 3T Siggy Challenge - New Year's Resolutions
    imageimage

Me (29), DH (30) TTC actively 54 55+ cycles | All BFNs
    MFI (low everything) | Endo Stage 1 & Stenotic Cervix (treated) | PCO
    Married - July 2008 | Started TTC - Jan 2009RE Visit #1 - Mar 2014 
    IUI #1 ICI #1 - June | IUI #1.1 Laparoscopy - Aug
    IUIs #1.2, 2, 3 - Sept, Oct, Nov (Letrozole) - BFNs 
    IUI #4 - Dec (Bravelle) | IUI #5 - Dec/Jan (Bravelle) - 5 follies + TI - BFNs
    IUI #5.1 - Jan (Bravelle) Cancelled 
    Planning to start IVF in March!
    ***All Welcome***
  • Options
    Totally understand how you are feeling and like PP said, you have a right to be ticked about it! I agree that 100% is just too great of a number. I would never want to look back and wonder what if.  Good luck to you!
    Married: 12/15/2012    TTC: 08/2014
    Husband: 26 SA: normal
    Me: 23 Low AMH and damaged ovaries due to chemotherapy.
    No AF or O in 3 years. HSG showed a slight T shaped uterus.

High Risk OB 9/29- got the ok to get pregnant.
    RE Appt:  10/28/ U/S showed follicles, but also small damaged ovaries.
    B/W results CD0: all normal except low AMH at 1.3
    Cycle 1-November (TI)- Femera 2.5mg, 2mg Estradoil, and Trigger=BFN
    Cycle 2-December (TI)- Femera 2.5 mg ,4mg Estradoil, and Trigger= No O
    Cycle 3-January (TI)- Femera 5 mg, 2mg Estra
    doil, and Trigger=

• Options
    I'm so sorry for the frustrating news :(. But, I do think it's good that you went through the testing and discovered this issue, rather than continuing to do IVF cycles and have them not work due to the endometrial issue. Like PP said, if it were me, I would wait the 3 months to get the 100 percent chance of success... and during that time I would take whatever supplements, lifestyle changes, etc. that the doctor recommended for egg quality, so that I felt like I was addressing both issues during the time on the bench. Whatever you decide, I'm wishing you so much luck-- you definitely deserve some good news, and I pray that the new plan works for you!

Me: 27 DH: 35

TTC #1 Since July 2013

Started RE Testing July 2014

2 HSG tests: Right tube is blocked, possible endo.

TSH elevated, started Synthroid 25 mg daily.

October, 2014: Femara 5 mg + TI ---> 3 follies on blocked tube side ---> BFN

November, 2014: Femara + Ovidrel + IUI#1--2 follies (on the good side), 46 mil. motile sperm=BFN

Nov-Dec 2014: Femara + Ovidrel + IUI #2 (1 follie, 76 mil. motile sperm) + Endometrin=BFN

January, 2014: Femara + Ovidrel + IUI #3 (1 follie, 38 mil. motile sperm)=???

New RE appt. scheduled for 1/14.

3T January Siggy Challenge: New Years Resolutions

Mine: Lose the weight I put on from booze and cookies over Christmas.

• Options
    So sorry about the bad news. ((Hugs))
  • Options
    So sorry you were thrown this curve ball :( I hope you are rewarded for all this crap with some really good news after the issue is addressed. (((Hugs)))
    **Formerly EastBayBride508**

Me 34   Him 33

Me - Left salpingo-oophorectomy at 19 due to large cyst/torsion  and 2 large uterine fibroids found at age 30
    Him - Borderline low sperm count (correcting through Fertility Blend supplement)

Married 8/20/2011
    TTC #1 since Jan 2013
    First appointment with RE 10/2013.  
    April 2014 - Clomid 100mg CD3-7.  HCG shot CD10 IUI #1 done on 4/12/14 (CD12) ....BFN
    May 2014 - Break cycle to repeat saline sonogram and re-group.  Travel to Kauai 5/7-5/12 (Yay!!)
    June 2014 - Clomid 150mg CD4-8.  HCG shot CD14.  IUI#2 done on 6/9 and 6/10 (CD15-16) w/ Prometrium suppositories during TWW .... BFN
    July 2014 - Clomid 150mg CD3-7.  Ultrasound CD12 - 4 mature follies! HCG trigger shot CD12 AM.  IUI#3 on CD13 w/ Prometrium suppositories during TWW ....BFN
    July 2014 - Repeat ultrasound done to measure size of fibroid - 8x9cm (the size of a grapefruit!) Surgery referral made.
    August 2014 - MRI done which revealed 2 fibroids: a 13x15cm fibroid as well as an 8x7cm one.  Super freak out mode over surgery plan.  OB-GYN/surgeon said surgery would most likely have to be a laparotomy (open abdominal surgery)
    August 2014 - After a 2nd opinion, plan to take Lupron x 2 months to shrink fibroids then laparoscopic/robotic myomectomy.  Surgery date is set for Nov 21st!  
    November 2014 - Robotic myomectomy done (2 large fibroids removed, mild endo found).  Benched x 3 months

PAIF/SAIF welcome
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the support. It really means a lot. I'm still trying to process everything. Hopefully I can get in touch with my current RE's office and get their perspective on these results/ treatment options. I need to do some more research on this test and the results so that I can feel a bit more confident in my decision-making. I don't want to rush into Lupron, which sounds awful, ugh. On the bright side, AF still hasn't shown up, so there's no hurry quite yet.

Official diagnosis: Unexplained IF. I am 32. I have low ovarian reserve (low AMH), and poor egg quality. I've also been diagnosed with mild glandular developmental arrest (lining problems, detected with EFT).

We are using open ID donor sperm. IUIs #1-7=BFN. IVF September 2014 antagonist protocol, 8R,5M,3F, 5 day transfer of 1 morula = BFN. IVF#2 planned for January 2015 (antagonist protocol + HGH).

• Options
    lemonliz  that is so helpful... any chance you still have the citation for the study?

• Options

Thanks @lemonliz, I will definitely look at the studies you found :).

My current RE got back to me to say that she won't comment on my EFT (biopsy) results, because she doesn't order that test, because she isn't convinced of its validity. What am I supposed to think at this point? Who knows. She did say she would meet with me in the new year, so I suppose we can talk it through more then. In the meantime, I think I will try to do some more research on the tests/issues to give this more consideration. From what I can tell, it isn't a widely used test. In fact, my Google searches to find others who have undergone this test suggest all (or substantially all) of the patients come from my second opinion clinic, which seems weird to me. Why wouldn't this test be more widely used? Here is a link to the test for anyone interested: https://medicine.yale.edu/obgyn/kliman/infertility/eft/index.aspx

• Options

lemonliz  yes any cycle would be with BCP (I did EPP last time with androgel supplementation, but I can't do that if I'm on the DHEA). Good to know the BCP may help with potential endo issues! That is encouraging.  It's hard to know what to do about the conflicting REs. If I wasn't so sick of doctors altogether I'd consider a third opinion ;).

PS Thank you again. You are such a good researcher!

• Options
    Ketchup put it perfectly.  It's really shitty that you have an additional diagnosis to deal with on top of everything else but hopefully it will help your chances knowing all you do.  My fingers are crossed for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"