Parenting
Options

Daycare situation

So DS started back at daycare in November. It took a few weeks but he adjusted great and he loved it. Today they send home a letter saying they are closing down as of 12/31/14. 2 weeks notice. There aren't any other places nearby that open at 6:30, so that's gonna be tricky, but my question is this: would you be upset that they asked for a $150 deposit for a spot in the school knowing you would only be able to stay for 2 months? There's probably nothing I or they can do about it, but I'm a little pissed I am going to have to shell out another deposit elsewhere when I JUST paid for this one.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Daycare situation

• Options
    MrsT0514MrsT0514 member
    edited December 2014
    Yeah, I'd be pissed. Also, I personally dont think its unrealistic to ask for your deposit back, considering your kid has only been going for 2 months and they decided to give you all of 2 weeks fucking notice that they're closing down. Fuck that

Eta...yeah i agree with @luxannie‌ here. I wouldn't blame you for demanding your deposit back. They had to have known more than 2 weeks in advance that they were going to be closing.
  • Options
    I called around 2 months ago and there was no where else around that opened early AND had a spot AND I could afford. Now everyone that went to this school is going to need care. Shiiiit.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    They sent the letter home in a sealed envelope and a cheery 'the _____ family'. I thought I was opening a Christmas card...
  • Options

I would be super pissed.

is it in home or center (Sorry not sure full back story here)   I'd at least ask for the deposit to be refunded, or go toward the final 2 weeks as you need to now pay a new deposit somewhere.

I'd be pissed. 
    It's a center that does infant through pre-k. They were wonderful.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Yeah I'd be pissed...at this entire frickin' situation.  WTF two weeks notice especially at holiday time....and yeah, I'm assuming that $150 was for a spot in the school on an annual basis? Hell yeah I would be annoyed that I only got two months out of that.  You may be right that there isn't anything you can do about it, but ...I certainly wouldn't just be like "OH, ok" at that.  I would at least TRY to get that back or at least a large portion of it.

I'm so sorry... searching for childcare sucks enough as it is without all this :(

Cat leg goes crazy and beats itself in the face

image  image
  • Options
    stebnie said:
    I would withhold $150 from the last two weeks payment. And tell them to come at me bro if they tried to come for the rest.
    I like this idea. I would be beyond livid. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
                                         DS is 1DAF

"I realize I say the word fuck a lot, and I'd like to apologize but I don't give a shit." -Lewis Black
  • Options
    That's shitty. Can you float a nanny until another spot opens up elsewhere? WTF at fleecing you for 150?!?!

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    stebnie said:

I would withhold $150 from the last two weeks payment. And tell them to come at me bro if they tried to come for the rest.

Of course I paid for the month up front. I just realized they waited until today to tell us because some people do pay every 2 weeks.
  • Options
    That is some bull, but I agree that if they are closing due to bankruptcy you're probably not going to see that money back.  

I completely agree--ask the teachers where they're going.  
  • Options
    I think so. This is the only place we have ever gone, but we were enrolled twice under 2 separate franchise names. One was $125 ( 2 years ago) and one was $150 (2 months ago)
  • Options
    Just wanted to say you have all my sympathies.  We had decided to change up from a day care center to an in-home nanny, a close friend of the family earlier this year.  The agreement was for 8 months minimum, however only a month into it, he decided that he couldn't handle his kid plus our two and it was too much for him.  He only gave us a two week notice, so I completely understand trying to find a place on such short notice.  It royally sucks, and of course we couldn't get back into the daycare that the kids were in, so had to find a whole brand new place after my son, who doesn't like change, had gotten used to being home with the nanny.

#1 07-02-12     #2 01-27-14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"