Breastfeeding
Options

Extended BFing Weekly Check-in- 12/16

For the purposes of this check-in, we will define extended breastfeeding as breastfeeding beyond 1 year. Please feel free to suggest questions for future check-ins! :)

1. How old is your LO?
2. How many times per day does your LO nurse?
3. Is extended breastfeeding common among women you know IRL in your area? (Question suggested by @wonkatalia)
How old was your LO when you introduced solids and how did LO take to them? How is your LO eating now?

Pregnant & BFing Moms: How are you doing this week? Any issues with supply, pain, aversion? Questions for other moms?

Non-breastfeeding question of the week:

What's the best movie you've seen recently?

Re: Extended BFing Weekly Check-in- 12/16

• Loading the player...
  • Options

1. How old is your LO? 28 months
    2. How many times per day does your LO nurse? I recently cut him back from 3x a day to 2x a day.
    3. Is extended breastfeeding common among women you know IRL in your area? I do know people that have nursed past 12 months, but not much past that 12-18 month mark. I do get the general vibe that nursing past 2 is considered "too long" and "weird."
    How old was your LO when you introduced solids and how did LO take to them? How is your LO eating now? We started baby-led weaning with DS at around 6 months. He loved solids from the beginning. I think he's a very good eater now. He's still a little hesitant about certain vegetables, but he loves meat, dairy, whole grains, and fruit, and eats ample amounts of all.

Pregnant & BFing Moms: How are you doing this week? Any issues with supply, pain, aversion? Questions for other moms? I'm doing a little better since I cut DS back to 2x a day. I still have a decent amount of milk for those 2 sessions. I do limit the length because I get the creepy-crawlies if he goes too long. I keep my other breast physically covered while he nurses because I can't deal with any twiddling. I have a little bit of pain and soreness, but it's bearable-- it's the aversion part that gets to me. I want it to be DS's choice to wean, though, so we'll keep on trucking for now.

What's the best movie you've seen recently? DS is a night owl, and we so rarely get to watch an "adult" movie. The only ones we've seen recently have been duds. We are looking forward to seeing Boyhood, but it hasn't come out on DVD yet.

• Options

1. How old is your LO? 16 months

2. How many times per day does your LO nurse? 5+

3. Is extended breastfeeding common among women you know IRL in your area? (Question suggested by @wonkatalia)

I have a local Facebook breastfeeders group and there are a few other extended nursers on there but I don't know any IRL.

4. How old was your LO when you introduced solids and how did LO take to them? How is your LO eating now?

We introduced him to solids with BLW at 5.5 months, he started getting into it at around 7 months then came down with pretty severe reflux, which now we think is/was linked to allergies. Since then foods are purees and mealtimes are a struggle, sometimes he is cooperative, other times not at all. He gets time too play with different textures of foods but isn't really chewing well yet.

The only movie I've been to see since LO was born is Gone Girl. I enjoyed it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    1. How old is your LO? 27 months

2. How many times per day does your LO nurse? 4-6 times

3. Is extended breastfeeding common among women you know IRL in your area? No, not with my IRL friends.  I know one of my friends BF beyond 1 year and I think another might be, I'll have to ask when I see her next, but I don't know anyone else who has BF as long as me.  I do feel self conscious about it at times, but I have made a lot of "non-traditional" choices in my life, so I'm used to it. 

How old was your LO when you introduced solids and how did LO take to them? How is your LO eating now?   I introduced solids at 6 months.  She was not into it for along time.  She never really liked purees and preferred BLW.  Now I would say she's a pretty good eater, definitely room for improvement in terms of eating vegetables, but not horrible. 

What's the best movie you've seen recently? I'd have to agree with Gone Girl. 
  • Options

1. How old is your LO? 16 months

2. How many times per day does your LO nurse? 2x per day (wake-up and bedtime)

3. Is extended breastfeeding common among women you know IRL in your area? Most of my friends IRL just had babies this year.  Most are BFing, but it's still to be seen how long they will go.  The few friends I have with LOs older than mine stopped around 1 year.

4. How old was your LO when you introduced solids and how did LO take to them? How is your LO eating now?  We introduced solids (in the form of homemade purees) when LO was 6-6.5 months old.  She seemed to like them but really go into solids when we started giving her finger foods a few months later.  She's still a very good eater but has definitely developed "favorite" foods and will sometimes lobby for the favorite food (or more of it).

What's the best movie you've seen recently?  We've only gone to the move theater twice since LO was born, and neither move was all that great.  I would love to see The Hobbit, but I have no clue when I could watch multiple 3-hour movies!

• Options
    vvvvvfee said:

For the purposes of this check-in, we will define extended breastfeeding as breastfeeding beyond 1 year. Please feel free to suggest questions for future check-ins! :)

1. How old is your LO?
    17 months
    2 times most days. Last night more like 7 to 8.
    I had a coworker who was at 18 months last I knew and one SIL who went a little over a year. Other than that it's people on the Bump. 4.
    How old was your LO when you introduced solids and how did LO take to them? How is your LO eating now?
    LO had solids around 6 months. She really liked veggies initially and then meats. She's not too picky now if we can get her attention long enough to get her to eat.

Pregnant & BFing Moms: How are you doing this week? Any issues with supply, pain, aversion? Questions for other moms?
    This week has been tough as we have transitioned from her crib to a twin bed. She's wanted to nurse more due to the change and likes to pinch and twiddle. It's also getting uncomfortable with my 32 week belly to have her nurse for long. I have no idea on supply, but I do plan to tandem nurse if possible.

What's the best movie you've seen recently? We haven't been to a movie in forever. I want to see the theory of everything though.

• Options
    SidraJediSidraJedi member
    edited December 2014
    1. DD is 21 months

2. She nurses about 7 times a day and then O/N which mostly takes place on the second half of the night. But we nurse on demand so I am just estimating. Her nursing sessions have increased since my BFP.

3. I do not have any friends in my age group who have nursed as long as I have. However my mom and aunt both nursed multiple children past a year or more and I know at least a couple of other moms in their age group personally who have also nursed beyond a year or two. I have met a couple of moms at the library (ETA: in my age group) who have nursed beyond a year or two. I have come to surmise that it is somewhat common in my city. Also, I have never gotten a rude comment or a harsh stare for NIP (though I have felt uncomfortable due to creepers once or twice) so this reinforces my theory that nursing a toddler is not alien here.

4. DD was 6.5 months old when we agreed to let her begin baby led weaning. She hit the ground running.

As for BF while pregnant... I am still getting nipple pain but nothing to rival those first few weeks of BF a newborn yet! She is kind wearing me out with the frequency. Sometimes I tell her to wait bc I am sore and tired. Also, I had a rough few days (including today) full of constipation and gas due to not drinking enough water I think? Pregnancy is a whole different ball game when you are BF! I have been upping my water intake since Monday. I had been eating 1/2-1 apple a day before breakfast but I added a 1/2 glass if prune juice to that regimen and this AM I also had a cup of green tea and some (constipation specific) yoga and finally got things moving a little! I drug myself out of a warm bed and sleeping DD and DH to drink my last glass of water b/c constipation pain is REAL, son! I do not want to go through Monday again ever, thankyouverymuch.

5. The Winter Soldier was alright. I watched Bell Book and Candle today and I love that movie.

@vvvvvfee‌ I'm glad you found a balance that works for you for now!
  • Options
    1. How old is your LO? 26 months
    2. How many times per day does your LO nurse? At least 4 times
    3. Is extended breastfeeding common among women you know IRL in your area? I don't know anyone personally who has breastfed their child into the toddler years.
    How old was your LO when you introduced solids and how did LO take to them? How is your LO eating now? We started with cereal at 6 months. In hindsight I would have waited until he was older. He has some food allergies (eggs, shellfish), so that is something we watch for. Otherwise, he's a super good eater.

What's the best movie you've seen recently? I can't remember the last movie I saw. :-(
    photo 9acca2d2-3800-4433-bb71-c445948b76cf_zpsd9667865.jpg

Anniversary

• Options
    1. How old is your LO?
    18 months old

1-2 per day. We are TTC so I've been trying to cut down as much as possible without completely weaning to see if it helps. It's not really working so far and I'm afraid I may need to wean completely. 

3. Is extended breastfeeding common among women you know IRL in your area? (Question suggested by @wonkatalia)
    Not that I know of. I know a couple that nursed until 14 months but none as long as I. My friends have newborns now so we will see how long they go. I hope that I can encourage them to go longer with my example. 

4. How old was your LO when you introduced solids and how did LO take to them? How is your LO eating now? 
    6 months we did BLW. He is really good. He will try almost anything, but he doesn't eat huge amounts of food generally.

Not pregnant :(

Haven't really seen any movies in theater, but I loved the Great Gatsby and I'm not a fan of musical type productions (we watched it for the first time only a month or two ago). 
    imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"