September 2014 Moms
Options

Need Advice/Help

So I know its been a while since I have posted...I do try to respond when I can. Lately I have been super busy and stressed. About a week ago my boss told me I was being let go. It was completely unexpected and I am really starting to freak out. I work from home so I have had the pleasure of being about to take care of the LO and work. Not that I did it on purpose but I had my LO during the slow season and I wasn't planning on putting him into daycare until he was 6 months and at the start of our busy season, because I know it would have been a problem at that point. 

My boss has always asked me how long I intended to stay with them because she wanted to make sure that I was going to stay a while because she really has no one else besides me and one other co-worker (who is planning on leaving, but hasn't told my boss) and she wanted me to take over her position because she wanted to retire soon ... so like I said... it completely shocked me. 

So now I have no job and a new baby. My DH and I can't not survive on his salary alone and the thought of putting LO in daycare breaks my heart. Nothing against those who do...but I just haven't prepared myself mentally and emotionally yet. I was trying to open my own private practice and now I have to put that on hold because I can afford it financially. All the jobs in my field are at night and require me to visit clients in their homes (keep in mind most of these clients would be people who are required by the court to see me so they wouldn't want me there anyways) and my DH doesn't want me to do it because he doesn't think it is safe.

I intend to go on unemployment and seeking help in regards to health insurance for the LO. SO I am hoping we can make it until I find a job that works. But it stresses me out since I still have hospital bills coming.  

I know this is a long story..but I was wondering if there is any moms who work at night and how does it work for them and their family? Also what did you do to help cope with putting LO in daycare? How do you decide which daycare is best? What about if you are breastfeeding/pumping (I mostly pump)? 
Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Need Advice/Help

• Options
    I meant I CAN'T afford to open my private practice...sorry I didn't re-read before posting. 
  • Options
    I don't work at night but I can tell you that the easiest way to get through the daycare thing is to go and tour them.  Pick a few that you think you would like to visit, make a list of questions you want to ask, and drop in for a tour so you can see the facility and meet the caretakers.  It may help put your mind at ease.If you are breastfeeding you will usually just provide the daycare with the appropriate amount of premade BM bottles when you drop off LO in the morning.  Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    ashaw512 ashaw512 member
    edited December 2014
    I'm sorry Tou have to go through this, but I hope you can find a new job soon. I agree with lala about daycare, have tons of questions, and always have premade bottles especially if there are part time workers, it's easy to get things mixed and you don't want your baby under or over fed. Good luck!

Eta again with stupid autocorrect
  • Options
    Thank you ladies I appreciate your kind words and advice.

• Options
    I don't have any advice but I'm so sorry you're going through this.
  • Options
    So sorry you are having to deal with this. Having a newborn is stressful enough. No advice, but you'll pull through and figure it out!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"