February 2013 Moms

NBR - Shoes on or off in other houses?

MeggiemugginsMeggiemuggins member
edited December 2014 in February 2013 Moms
Just curious:  Do you take your shoes off when you go to someone else's home?  We're a a shoe-free house, and always take our shoes off at other peoples' houses.  Pretty much everyone I know does the same, but I'm wondering if it's a regional thing.  I live on the west coast and our city has a huge Asian population, so that might have something to do with it.  No real reason for asking, I'm just wondering if other regions leave their shoes on, because that's uncommon here.

Re: NBR - Shoes on or off in other houses?

• We are mostly shoes-off in our house, unless we're just running in quick to get something or getting ready to leave. If I am at a family member's house where I'm really comfortable, I will take them off at the door. But I don't always take them off right away at other places.... I guess I don't want to seem rude by making people see my feet? (Even though most of the time I'm wearing socks.) I know DH doesn't take them off as often as I do at other people's houses. I have seen this asked on other boards and it definitely seems to be a regional thing.
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
    BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

• We are shoe free, but don't expect the same of our guests
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm the minority :-(

We keep our shoes on at home. At other peoples houses I do whatever they do. If  they go shoe free then so do we :-)  I do however make my 6 year old take his shoes off in the garage on school days because if not I have a MILLION tiny rocks EVERYWHERE from the playground.

• DC2London said:
    We are a no-shoes house so we in turn remove our shoes in others' homes
    This

DS1: Quinn - 10.22.10 and DS2: Cole - 01.18.13

• I'm the minority :-(

We keep our shoes on at home. At other peoples houses I do whatever they do. If  they go shoe free then so do we :-) 

This for us too!
  • I have severe plantar fasciatis right now so I have to wear my running shoes at home all the time or it gets much worse.  I have never thought about it at other people's homes....for the most part I think everyone here keeps their shoes on.  

We are so thankful that our second daughter, Lillian Elizabeth "Lily", was born healthy and happy on February 11, 2013.  We love her to pieces.  

We lost our first daughter, Hannah Grace on May 4, 2011.  She was buried on May 14 during a beautiful service at my home church. We are grateful that if she could not be here with us, that she is healed and whole with the Lord. We look forward to the day when we will get to meet her. We love her so much.

• We leave our shoes on and do whatever other people do at their house. I tried to make our new house a shoe free zone but that lasted all of 3 days.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Shoes off. I'm really anal about it with people I am close with, but I don't get too crazy (on the outside any way) if others don't take them off. I go to a doctors office where they ask you to leave them at the door and I love it. The children's museum too. I love to be barefoot.
  • We are in the pacific northwest, and it depends on the house and how long we'll be there. If we're going to be there more than an hour, we almost always take our shoes off. If it's a brief visit, it depends on whether the people we are visiting take their shoes off or not - if they keep them on, we keep them on. If they take them off, we take them off. If it's just a quick stop like to drop off a meal or something, we keep them on. 
    image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

• Sagen said:

nlp1990 said:

Shoes off. I'm really anal about it with people I am close with, but I don't get too crazy (on the outside any way) if others don't take them off. I go to a doctors office where they ask you to leave them at the door and I love it. The children's museum too. I love to be barefoot.

Going to be honest that kind of grosses me out. I like no shoes at home, but in public not so much. I would be sure not to go sockless on doctor, or museum day, then wash those socks asap ;) I must have some weird hang up!
    I don't think I would go barefoot without socks in the museum or the doctors office. I often wear sandles with socks so they are easy to slip on and off. But I do love just socks.
  • We always take off shoes, everywhere. But my children are always covered in dirt (or worse). So we take off shoes. But I also have a pair of house shoes (slippers) for everyone to wear inside only.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• I hate hate hate shoes. I'm always barefoot, I find it rude to wear my shoes in someone's house. I did homecare nursing and they told us to bring shoes to change into when we got there, but I always just went in my socks (unless it was a dirty house, then I kept my shoes on). Never wear shoes in the car either, if I'm driving I keep my right shoe on and left shoe off.

We have friends in town and their house is always cold, we bring slippers over there and they bring slippers to our house too since the basement is cold. I sometimes just keep a pair in the diaper bag for if I get cold when I'm at someone's house.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I grew up in a shoes-on house, but Germany is very shoes-off and I've grown to appreciate that, with a good pair of slippers, of course.
    I generally take mine off unless the host says I should keep them on.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• I grew up in a shoes on house. We are kinda in between. I always take my shoes off but that's because I hate wearing shoes. I make sure my h takes his shoes off on the carpet but I am not anal about it. I don't ask people to take there shoes off but I like when they do.
    Jenny DiLo
  • @wineandcake‌ I always take my left shoe off while driving too and (FFC?) I usually curl my left foot up on to the seat.
  • nlp1990 said:

@wineandcake‌ I always take my left shoe off while driving too and (FFC?) I usually curl my left foot up on to the seat.

Yes! Left foot has to be up on the seat, it's just not comfortable to drive otherwise. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who does that!

• @wineandcake‌ I always take my left shoe off while driving too and (FFC?) I usually curl my left foot up on to the seat.
    Yes! Left foot has to be up on the seat, it's just not comfortable to drive otherwise. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who does that!
    O.O 

I had no idea that was even a thing! Have you ever driven a stick? 

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• kelly321 said:

nlp1990 said:

@wineandcake‌ I always take my left shoe off while driving too and (FFC?) I usually curl my left foot up on to the seat.

O.O 

I had no idea that was even a thing! Have you ever driven a stick? 

Me and standard cars are NOT friends. DH used to have one as his primary car, I learned to drive it, but pretty much refused unless we were on a long, straight stretch of highway. His jeep is standard and I won't even try to drive it. Thank goodness he went automatic with the truck, now we can share driving duty on road trips.

• I curl my left foot in the seat. I also can drive a stick. I've also driven my automatic with my left foot and my right in the passengers seat, after having ankle surgery. (Actually, I drove all the way from Wisconsin to north Carolina that way!)
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Usually shoes off at home (although we have a fairly large dog, so who knows what gets tracked in by him, it's not really a cleanliness thing), but at other houses I just take my cues from whoever lives there.  If the person who lives there has their shoes off and there's a pile of shoes at the door, I'll usually remove shoes.  If they're wearing shoes in their house, I leave mine on.  When in doubt (and as long as their floors are clean), I usually err on the side of shoe removal. ;-)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"