March 2014 Moms

Compounded omeprazole (prilosec)

Does anyone have any experience with using this?  My little guy has GERD and was on Zantac originally.  Our pedi GI doc switched him to compounded omeprazole.  We live in the middle of nowhere and it's difficult to find (also not covered by insurance).  I eventually found 2 pharmacies that will/can do it but they described 2 different ways of making it.  From what I understand, it smells and tastes bad (if made with sodium bicarbonate as no flavorings can be used).  One of the pharmacies talked about making it a different way and adding flavor.  I'm so confused.  Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker      

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Compounded omeprazole (prilosec)

• My LO has been on compounded Prevacid for months. My compounding pharmacy does not flavor it but they sweeten it so its palatable. She takes it fine, she hates flavored medications as it makes her gag.
  • They can make it either plain or they can add flavor. Not all pharmacies carry the flavorings. That's about all there is to it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My LO was on it, it was mint flavored,  she hated it!!  we switched to lansoprazole which is strawberry and she is doing so much better
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Lurking from April 14. My son was on this until about 6 or 7 months old. Just a tip - my pharmacy never had this in stock so I asked them to please order 2 or 3 refills of it at a time. One morning my husband accidentally left his medicine out of the fridge all day and I was so happy that my pharmacy had a backup refill waiting. Otherwise it could have taken up to 2 weeks to refill it.
  • Apparently adding flavor degrades the medication.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"