Breastfeeding

Disposable vs. Reusable Breast Pads

KatedannKatedann member
edited December 2014 in Breastfeeding
Opinions on disposable vs. reusable breast pads?

I used reusable ones when my LO was first born and the lanolin I was using stained them and now they never feel dry, which grosses me out.

I've been using disposables for a couple months now, but am getting ready to go back to work and I feel like they show too much through clothing, plus I don't love throwing so much away!

Suggestions for good reusable pads and how to care for them? Would Earth Mama nipple butter stain them too?
{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}

Re: Disposable vs. Reusable Breast Pads

• I love Bamboobies. I use MotherLove nipple cream (lanolin free) which has caused temporary staining, but it always washes out after 2 or 3 washes so all my pads look brand new. They are very comfortable and the heart shapes are not too bulky. Fantastic absorbency, only had some leaks overnight when DD sleeps longer than normal but the larger overnight pads contain most leaks well. 

~*~
    Together since 03/27/2007
    Married 07/20/2013

BFP #1 01/18/2014, EDD 09/26/2014, Team Green
    DD born 09/21/2014

image image 
  • Another vote for Bamboobies!
  • Loading the player...
  • I'll definitely give bamboobies a shot. I'm going to try washing the stained breast pads with hot water and dish soap to see if I can get the oil out.

@Halsing‌ are you leaking throughout the day? I think my supply started regulating around 5 weeks and as long as I'm wearing a bra or nursing tank that holds the pads against my boobs, I haven't had issues with leaking since the first couple of weeks.
    {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • I used both. I've found the reusable ones to be more comfortable but they move around in my bra sometimes. I don't remember what brand they are organic cotton of some kind. The disposable ones, I tried lanisoh brand. They stayed put better and absorbed more. When DS started sleeping through the night at 3 mo. I had severe leaking at night and the disposables were better for that. As far as showing through clothes, I wore a padded nursing bra to work so you couldn't see them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @Halsing‌ I had a problem with leaking for quite a while. If you press on the nipple of the opposite breast while feeding you won't leak (as much). I was able to stop using the heavy duty disposables around 4 months, switched to Bamboobies (when I stopped letting down at random times during the day) and used them for a few months (maybe until 8 months?) then just stopped using them all together.

I can't speak to the staining/texture issue. I didn't use much lasinoh while I was using the reusable.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"