June 2014 Moms
Options

Any one else's LO hate solids?

We started LO on solids about two weeks ago. She hates them! So far, I have tried rice cereal, apples, pears, and sweet potatoes. I'm lucky if I can get her to swallow two bites 1-2x a day. Anyone else having this problem? Any tips/tricks? 

Re: Any one else's LO hate solids?

• Options
    We started LO on solids at around 4.5 months & for weeks she would only do a couple spoonfuls at each meal then all of a sudden she started eating more. I think they just have to get accustomed to it, keep trying!

Oh, one thing I did do was make her oatmeal really runny & puréed the crap out of her veggies so they were runny as well and that made them easier to go down at 1st.
  • Options
    I found that I couldn't get her to eat rice cereal when I mixed it the way it was suggested on the box. It was too pasty for her majesty. I find that she likes things more liquidy so I added more milk and mixed the cereal in with different foods to the texture just a little thicker than water.
    Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We started solids last Sunday and it has been slow going. We started with avocado and he tolerated it but was not thrilled. We are now on sweet potatoes. I have added formula to them so they have a familiar taste - not so much that it is watery, just enough to thin it. Maybe try playing with the consistency and see how that goes. Also - are you offering solids before or after bfing/bottle? My son has more patience when he has his bottle first. I also stop when he starts to refuse/fuss. Each meal is different as far as how much he"ll eat and I do my best to go with it. I have heard using your finger as a spoon is a good option if baby is resistant. Maybe try that? Also, are you using store bought or homemade (not intended as a judgement). Thinking if it is store bought taste it first to see if you find it appealing. If it doesn't taste good, try another brand. Hang in there, things should get easier!
  • Options
    Depends on the day, but even on a good day, the most she will eat is 1 tablespoon.
  • Options
    I was having this problem earlier in the week and the other moms suggested giving him his own spoon. It worked! He would try and put his spoon in his mouth and then I would quick jam a bite in his mouth.
  • Options
    irenewsleeirenewslee member
    edited December 2014
    The first few times we tried (about a month and a half ago), she was too impatient to wait for the spoon.  We ended up feeding her 3oz first, then feed the solid (very runny).  She also didn't know how to position her tongue so she got a bit frustrated. We were only doing about 1-2 tbs of rice cereal mixed with BM and she slowly got it after about two weeks.
  • Options
    I just posted in the other solids thread that I'm having the same problem. We haven't gotten him to eat anything yet - maybe we will try again in a week.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    lizok22lizok22 member
    edited December 2014
    I am having to his trouble, thank you for starting this thread. My first DS was the best eater ever. We never had an issue. This one hates rice cereal, and oatmeal and all baby food. Basically anything that I fed him with a spoon. I am trying BLW and he does like to hold his own food it's just I cannot get him to eat as much as with baby food. It's very frustrating as I am still EBF and would like to wean.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"