High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Do I have GD?

Background: I was diagnosed with GD with both my boys around 27-28 weeks. With DS2 and this pregnancy, I was tested at 13 weeks and passed both times. I was VERY disciplined on my diet with both my pregnancies, ended up on insulin for high fasting numbers at the VERY end of both. I have always been told to test 1 hour after eating.

I took the three hour at 27ish weeks this time and had 1 high number, so I technically "passed" the test. My doctor is not considering me to have GD. However, that didn't sit well with me (gut feeling), so I asked him to prescribe me a monitor and test strips so I could check on things. I just got it last week and have been testing every couple days. At first, the numbers were totally in range- all good.

Then, I started getting some seemingly high numbers. 135- range after a couple lunches that should have been GD-friendly (not that high, but considering what I ate and that lunch time is historically most forgiving for me, I was surprised to be that high). I had one fasting number over 110. Today, I had a high-carb breakfast just to see what happened and it was over 200 at 1-hour, then dropped to 86 after 2 hours. All of my other random tests have been in range, regardless of what I ate. 

I have an appointment with my nutritionist on Monday. I plan to eat well and test regularly between now and then, so I will be able to review everything with her then. Just curious... are the ranges the same for non-diabetics? Meaning, do non-diabetics have a 200+ reading ever, or is that a GD symptom? 

I'm basically preparing myself to have GD and ready to start the diet. But I don't want to overreact (it would sure be nice to "enjoy" eating over the Holidays during this last pregnancy...). Just curious if anyone had any immediate insights for me. 
Son #1: 12.27.08 (6 years)
Son #2: 02.06.12 (2.5 yrs)
Baby #3 due: 02.10.15 (It's a girl!)
GD with all three pregnancies

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Do I have GD?

• Options
    I had 1 number elevated on the 3 hour and they sent me to the GD office. I test at 2 hours after meals it has to be under 120 and have been in target every time. I have heard that the 1 hour reading is 140.
  • Options
    Update: My hunch was right. I do have GD and am officially on the diet. That's 3 for 3 for me! 
    Son #1: 12.27.08 (6 years)
    Son #2: 02.06.12 (2.5 yrs)
    Baby #3 due: 02.10.15 (It's a girl!)
    GD with all three pregnancies

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"