Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Still cutting up food?

My son is 2 1/2. Should I still be cutting /tearing up his food? He doesn't ever take bites off a bigger piece of food. Daycare doesn't cut food up and I think this may be why he doesn't eat much there. Should he be doing that by now?
BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: Still cutting up food?

• Options
    I still cut up meat and pancakes and things like that for my 2 and 3 yos. But they take bites out of sandwiches, quesadillas, chicken tenders. Pretty much anything that's traditional finger food.

If you give him a peanut butter and jelly will he take bites? Or an apple slice? Or even a granola bar?
  • Options
    Well, I think his dad and I are part of the problem. We tear up everything. I'm worried about choking. I've seen him take bites off apple slices but usually if it's something he has to bite off, he will set his teeth on it and then remove it and not eat it at all.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I cut things up that I would cut up for myself, which I realize has led to him eating some things cut up that probably aren't traditionally cut up. I have a contact allergy to tomatoes so I always cut up pizza so it doesn't touch my skin (it doesn't bother me to eat them) and now he only wants to eat pizza with a fork, too. I think he does have a milder form of the same allergy so it's probably better for him in this case.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I also only cut up things that I cut for myself to eat. Cutting everything into little bits actually makes me more nervous--I feel less worried about him choking because he's had plenty of practice and knows how to use his teeth. If he had never learned how to do it probably, I would feel like I have to watch him like a hawk every time food is around. 
    Good point.

We are going to work in taking bites this weekend.
  • Options
    Kaelynn91Kaelynn91 member
    edited December 2014
    My daughter is about the same age. Personally, I still cut up the majority of her food. I won't cut up a sandwich or anything, but I cut up things like chicken, hotdogs, pancakes, etc. Usually, I just do it so it is easy for her to pick it up with a fork or so she doesn't choke if it is meat.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I still cut up most of her food. Exceptions would be pizza and sandwiches. I have a good friend who tragically lost her 4yr old from a choking accident so I'm paranoid to say the least. I still slice my 4yr old's hot dogs and my 2yr old gets even smaller bites. I'd rather not run the risk of something happening.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I still cut up most of her food. Exceptions would be pizza and sandwiches. I have a good friend who tragically lost her 4yr old from a choking accident so I'm paranoid to say the least. I still slice my 4yr old's hot dogs and my 2yr old gets even smaller bites. I'd rather not run the risk of something happening.
    That's so terribly sad. And it scares the hell out of me, too.
  • Options
    So, I grilled LO's pedi about this at last appointment, and his take was that if it is a choking hazard food-- raw carrots, hot dog, chewy meat-- then it needs to continue to be cut (to sizes smaller than LOs pinky finger) until at least age 4.
    other foods-- sandwiches, soft vegetables, pancakes, crackers etc ,are fine to give whole  or in larger pieces.

so that is what we are doing.

• Options
    I usually cut if he asks me to. Steak and some meat we cut for him, or we'll give him a smallish piece and let him try and cut it himself (with a kid's knife, not a steak knife). I cut his sandwiches in half, and cut quesadillas into quarters. He loves eating off the bone, so lamb chops, chicken drumsticks, ribs etc he gets whole and we keep an eye on him.

I still cut most things for the almost 2 yo, but have started giving him bigger pieces of some veggies and he also likes to try cutting things himself. Always cut the meat and tougher foods, though.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I still cut things if DD asks me to- mostly pancakes, hot dogs, and pizza (which she should probably be able to take bites of by now).  She eats/takes bites of quesadillas, chicken nuggets, apple slices, sandwiches, cheese sticks, etc.  If we have, say, chicken enchiladas for dinner I would probably break that up for her a bit.   
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"