Working Moms

What are you getting your DH for the holidays?

Ladies. I'm completely done with Xmas shopping save I have nothing for DH. He wants a fit bit or jawbone but both are coming out with updated versions in January ... And it's just throwing money away to get him one now (he'll buy the updates regardless)
Is like to stay in the $250 range. He is very tech savvy but he just buys anything he wants so I can't think of anything. :(
Ideas?

Re: What are you getting your DH for the holidays?

• I'm thinking about getting DH some kind of remote controlled drone, in addition to a couple practical gifts. I think he'd have fun with one that can take pictures or hold his gopro.
    BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
  • I second buying the voucher to get him to buy the update if that's possible.

on a side note,

What do you get your husbands anyway. Shopping for them is so hard, mine got me an awesome gift for my birthday last month that hit home for me (like got me teary jumpy squealy) and his birthday is coming up in Feb and I have no idea what to get him :(

imageimage
    God Bless You my Little One
    Farida, our first child, born on the 19th of July 2014
    Farida, at 8 weeks
  • Loading the player...
  • A gift card for a guitar.
    One boy (11.26.12) and one girl (2.28.14)
  • Some VIP seat concert tickets. I think he didn't think he was getting them bc of the cost so I'm kind of jazzed about it :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

\image  image

• i got him beats wireless headphones for working out.
  • I got mine some zero gravity chairs. We are planning on buying a camper in February and he has said before he'd like to have some for when we go camping. For stocking stuffers I've gotten him restaurant gift cards that we can use on date nights. I would just get him a gift card to put towards the purchase of a fitbit.
  • Not much.  I'm knitting him some socks (this might be a January present since I haven't started yet).  Also some fancy oils for his beard and probably a concert ticket.  We mutually agreed to not buy much this year and make it more about LO's first Christmas...neither of us really wants anything, anyway. 
  • He's getting a new North Face jacket, two long sleeve Ts, a leaf blower (that I have not purchased because I don't know how many MPH we need) and whatever the kids pick- I take them each shopping and let them choose something.  One has already said Illy coffee pods for our coffee maker which I love as it's practical. 
  • A couple of years ago I took DH on a helicopter tour of the city to see the Christmas lights (where we live, the downtown has a huge Christmas light display which is really cool). This year we aren't exchanging gifts because he's getting a son ;) we prefer experiential gifts for anniversaries and holidays to do together. More about making memories with each other!
  • I'm getting him 2 new dress shirts he needs.  And then all the other gifts are themed for our upcoming trip to Paris in February: tech gloves, insulated undershirt, travel books, etc.  Oh, and he wanted a new baseball cap from our undergrad.
  • I don't think I am much help. Usually, I know exactly what to get DH as he is very vocal about anything and everything he desires. This year not so much. Typically I will get him one of his rather expensive "wants" and then fill in with things I know he needs like new work boots, cologne, clothes etc. 

What he would truly love is for me to pull the trigger on a major house project we have had on the top of our list since we moved in almost 3yrs ago. But, it is just not the right decision financially right now.

In the past I've gotten him a new laptop, power tools(at least one almost every Christmas), Leather Coat, Event Tickets, professional vehicle detailing, long weekend mini vacation, plane ticket to visit his best friend. 
  • I'm having his fifth child, isn't that enough?????

Seriously though, I got him a four pack of Brewers tickets so that he and I can go to the games or he and one of the kids. 

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• DH and I are paying off our last debt on New Year's Eve, so we are giving that to each other for Christmas! We have been working toward this goal the whole 6 years we've been married. I can't think of a better gift!

Congratulations!  That is awesome!
  • I always try and think of things that DH needs that he doesn't get for himself. Last year it was a pair of Oakley sunglasses, the year before a Movado watch. It helps that he doesn't usually shop for himself.

This year he's getting new jeans (he can't fit into the ones he has :)), a new case for his phone, a new pair of dress shoes and a new wallet. Oh and he wants a new TV so we might buy that as a joint gift for each other.

• I go a bit nuts for Christmas (I love gift giving) and this is what I got my hubby from myself and my mom (I tell her what to buy!).  He's into hunting and works outside quite a bit in the winter.  Also loves to grill and smoke meats. 

rain jacket, Mountain Hardwear down jacket, North Face softshell jacket, new headphone from Sennheiser for jogging and biking, patagonia long underwear, a polo and a 1/4 zip from our Alma Mater, BBQ dragon for lighting coals, 2 new pairs of pants, bike lights, leatherman, doohicKEY, socks, a book and a cardsharp.  

image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • We have a $30 limit for each other. Typically if we need something during the year we buy it, so this makes it easier. He is getting leather driving gloves from me as his "big" gift. And then some english toffee (his favorite kind of candy), and some sipping chocolate (it's like unsweetened hot chocolate and it great with Bailey's). I took DS to pick something out for him (not counted in the $30), and he picked out a travel mug, telling me that Daddy takes cups in the car without lids, and that this would be better. 

I think it's hilarious when kids pick stuff out. I took DS to pick out a gift for FIL's birthday in November, he picked out an ax (he's 3 and very into firemen right now), after I talked him out of the fire extinguisher (they already have several). 
  • Just some practical stuff that he never buys for himself, like nice aftershave (also a gift for me, since I hate what he buys), new winter gear, maybe some tickets to a sporting event.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • This sounds very Scrooge like, but we don't really do gifts for holidays.

After 4 years of arguing about it, being disappointed, feeling guilty, we kind of drifted in to not giving gifts out of obligation and only doing it if there's something we really want to give or that the other person really wants to receive.  Cards are mandatory for Mothers/Fathers Day, Valentines Day and Anniversary. 

It sounds really bah humbug but it takes a lot of the pressure off and lets us actually enjoy the holiday (and lead up) a lot more.
  • We're really boring.  He's getting clothes, mostly for work but some casual/lounge stuff.  He needs them and likes me to pick them out so it works :)   

Like @itsmekvb and @kelsz12, he's getting another kid (on Christmas Eve, actually) so we are keeping this Christmas practical :)
  • This sounds very Scrooge like, but we don't really do gifts for holidays.

After 4 years of arguing about it, being disappointed, feeling guilty, we kind of drifted in to not giving gifts out of obligation and only doing it if there's something we really want to give or that the other person really wants to receive.  Cards are mandatory for Mothers/Fathers Day, Valentines Day and Anniversary. 

It sounds really bah humbug but it takes a lot of the pressure off and lets us actually enjoy the holiday (and lead up) a lot more.
    I don't think this is bah humbug AT ALL.  I am starting to hate the holidays because there's so much pressure around gifting.  Our problem is that if we need or want something we just buy it...
    really. I used to love buying gifts but that is really changing...

Thanks all for the tips...
  • Got him a nice pair of denims plus some stocki g stuffers. Got all those today. The same day he missent a picture msg meant for his former classmate turned viber txtmate. I want to throw away the gift. I'm at a loss.

i love you, my little mooncake mahal kita

imageimageimage
  • jess9802jess9802 member
    edited December 2014
    We decided that our brand new $6k Tempurpedic bed was our Christmas gift to each other. It is awesome, but we really don't need anything else after spending that kind of money. Otherwise, probably just whatever random computer parts/accessories he wants or needs.
  • rodiesmum said:

Got him a nice pair of denims plus some stocki g stuffers. Got all those today. The same day he missent a picture msg meant for his former classmate turned viber txtmate. I want to throw away the gift. I'm at a loss.

Holy crap! I'm sorry you have to deal with all that around the holidays.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• KayteeGee said:
    This sounds very Scrooge like, but we don't really do gifts for holidays.

I don't think this is bah humbug AT ALL.  I am starting to hate the holidays because there's so much pressure around gifting.  Our problem is that if we need or want something we just buy it...
    really. I used to love buying gifts but that is really changing...

Thanks all for the tips...
    We don't do gifts either, MH never gives ideas and after years of struggling to come up w/ ideas that invariably he didn't really like I don't think, I gave up. Though last year I did get a set of plastic food storage things b/c he complained so much about ours LOL.  Plus I do all the xmas shopping for our kids, my family & his family (which totals 16 ppl to shop for/figure out)and frankly, it is so much less stressful not to have to try to solve the mystery of what to get him.  It does sound bah humbug but...
  • edited December 2014
    Nothing but I'm buying myself a Nike+ running watch.  We decided it's silly to buy ourselves gifts when we know specifically what we want for ourselves.  He will buy himself a laptop he wants and I will buy myself a watch.  It's our own money anyway! 

Also I keep trying to edit my signature and I get an ERROR and can't fix it.  

• DH got me the eames leather recliner and ottoman from room and board (which I've wanted forever) as a combined Christmas, birthday (in January), and push present (baby due January), and then had the nerve to ask for a wallet. WTH? I got him three shirts and three ties from hugo boss, but I will probably get him a suit too as he's looking for a different job. Still haven't found a good wallet yet... He's so hard to shop for, and terrible at hiding his disappointment when he doesn't like a gift. Ugh.
  • DH got me the eames leather recliner and ottoman from room and board (which I've wanted forever) as a combined Christmas, birthday (in January), and push present (baby due January), and then had the nerve to ask for a wallet. WTH? I got him three shirts and three ties from hugo boss, but I will probably get him a suit too as he's looking for a different job. Still haven't found a good wallet yet... He's so hard to shop for, and terrible at hiding his disappointment when he doesn't like a gift. Ugh.
    I just found Bellroy wallets. They are pretty great. 
    image   image
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • Thank you!! I'll look them up.
  • ebp913 said:
    DH got me the eames leather recliner and ottoman from room and board (which I've wanted forever) as a combined Christmas, birthday (in January), and push present (baby due January), and then had the nerve to ask for a wallet. WTH? I got him three shirts and three ties from hugo boss, but I will probably get him a suit too as he's looking for a different job. Still haven't found a good wallet yet... He's so hard to shop for, and terrible at hiding his disappointment when he doesn't like a gift. Ugh.
    I just found Bellroy wallets. They are pretty great. 
    So @ebp913, you totally saved the day.  I looked up Bellroy wallets and thought they were great, showed them to DH and he loved them.  He picked the slim version.  But now I've totally screwed up, because he hinted that he still wants a surprise (because everyone has to have a surprise under the tree at Christmas, right?).  Now what the hell am I supposed to do?  I was thinking I'd get him a suit, but now that feels totally predictable in light of the "surprise" edict.   
  • Mine got spoiled.... he got an x-box one and some new games for it, new steel toe work boots, and a jersey he has been bugging about for years. We did Christmas on Thanksgiving with my mom in Texas so he got his x-box at that time and will get his jersey on christmas :) 

BabyFruit Ticker

• ebp913ebp913 member
    edited December 2014
    **in response to wallet**

Thats the one my husband wants too but it'll have to wait til his birthday.  

image   image
  • I am making him a date night jar and putting cash in it.  It's mostly cheap dates and I'm putting a total of $40 in cash inside.  Usually DH and I don't get each other anything for Christmas but I thought this would be a cute idea since we are going to be so tight for money with me on ML for 9 months.  
      I agree with the poster that said there is WAY too much pressure and to buy gifts and spend tons of money on people around the holidays and that's really not what Christmas should be about.  We only buy gifts for the kids.  Between our own kids, godchildren and nieces and  nephews we have 14 kids to buy for.  That's enough.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I bought DH a 22 year aged bottle of Scotch, whisky stones, Whisky glasses, a citrus juicer from Williams Sonoma, lottery tickets and two mini Baileys.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"