September 2012 Moms
Options

Hey there! Anyone have any input...

Hi mamas! I'm sorry I haven't been around much :( I try and jump on at night, but not a lot to contribute at that point! We have a ton going on right now, mostly good with a little bad. The boys and I are doing well, and my new job is going well!

So I need your input on a few things. I somehow got myself involved in 2 different secret santos at work. I'm awful at these, especially considering I have only known these people a few weeks! So if you have any ideas let me know!
1. 25yr old female, chrones disease and gluten intolerance (so no food), lives with her parents, no boyfriend, seems kind of social on weekends, not very outdoorsy.
2. 23 yr old male, just moved to Boston from Chicago, snowboards almost every weekend.

We are doing an ugly Christmas sweater party at work, I don't own one of those, who has seen one around?

I'm doing Keagans birthday party at a bowling alley. I don't want people at my house right now, and it will accommodate the largest range of ages. They provide pizza and soft drinks, plus table wear. I'm responsible for the cake, favors and any additional decor I want to provide. The cake has to be from a bakery, and I can't bring in any homemade food items. Any ideas?

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Hey there! Anyone have any input...

• Options
    Not many suggestions, but wanted to say hi! Glad things are going well for the most part.

What is the price limit got secret Santa? And is it one big gift or a bunch of small?

For the girl I was thinking beauty related stuff like lip balms or lotions. iTunes gift cards are always good for either. For the guy maybe a gift card to a ski/snowboard shop?

As for the ugly Christmas sweater, try goodwill or some other thrift store.
  • Options
    For the Christmas party, try and find an old tree skirt to wear as a skirt. That's my favorite twist on the ugly sweater.

For the Chicago guy, could you get him some chicago beers-- Goose Island is the first brewery that comes to mind.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Glad things are going well for you!

For the girl I would do nail polish or a mini manicure set, the guy sunscreen and Chapstick (for wind/sunburn?)

Someone had suggested using a tree skirt as a poncho for an ugly sweater party. 

I'd just bring in a fruit and veg tray and cake and call it good for the party. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    For the girl I would do a mani or pedi kit- lotion, hand sanitizer, foot scrubber, etc.

For the guy maybe a DD GC to wake up or warm up while on the road to/from snowboarding.

For the party I'd just bring cake, balloon and favors. Kids don't need much more than pizza. You could pick up chips or wings for adults if they allow that.

There's a kit at Walmart that lets you DIY your own ugly sweater. If you have the time it might be a good, cheap option.

Nice to see you around here. Hope the job is going well.
  • Options
    Hi - glad to hear things are going well :)

as for the gift suggestions:

for the girl do you have a sephora for a ulta near you?  they always have gift sets put together at this time of year of various things makeup, nail polish, lip gloss etc.  All sorts of fun girly stuff.  We often do a grab bag gift and these types of gifts have been hits with my cousins (ages 28 - 36) I've done lip gloss sets, eye shadows, nail polish sets, and even a set of various mascaras (prices 15 - 30 dollars) 

for the guy i would say beer is always a winner and pair a six pack with a nice set of pint glasses.  However if alcohol is a no go for your office party how about a coffee pack, reusable mug with a gift card to a local coffee shop or Starbucks.  Or is there something that you could put together to make like a welcome to Boston gift?  Like cookies from a great bakery, a gift card to the best pizza place some like that, that might help him get to know more about the area...

my read shelf:
    Sara (smb+jab)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)  

BFP 8/23/11 natural m/c 9/7/11 @ 6w BFP 1/16/2012 C-section 9/16/2012 Health baby boy!
  • Options
    Glad to hear things are going well!

I also like the manicure/other beauty items idea for the girl and how about lottery tix for the guy?

I got an ugly Xmas sweater last year at Wal-Mart and it was cheap and definitely hideous.

As for the party, I would do some veggies and dip and a cake from a place you know is good and call it done.

• Options
    Hi!!  Glad to hear things are going well!  

All the other ladies gave you good ideas - I like the beauty gift set idea.  Manicure / nail polish I feel like any female can appreciate.

Guys are hard - I'd go with a beer he might like.  Or my first thought was what SMB said, which is something unique to your area.  A pizza place or a local beer or coffee shop.  Something that he might not know much about since he's new to the area.

For the birthday party, For Keagan's cake - you could do a bowling design on the cake or do cupcakes.  Here are a few ideas.  You could play up the bowling theme and do the same thing for party favors as well w/ mini bowling sets or something along those lines.  I'm thinking, "Thanks for coming, I had a ball!"

OK - now I want to have a bowling party for Brody...

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

• Options
    I have a ton of bowling ideas as it is a must have party for James, probably will do it next year.

DIY King Pin party hats (crowns) out of foam
    DIY foam crowns, including template and tutorial. King Pins party hats - this one looks like bowling pins.

Bowling pin favors filled with something white 
    Bowling Party Favors! https://www.noveltybowlingstuff.com/p-65-mini-bowling-pin-candy-container.aspx
    This is the first site that pulled up, if you can't find one smaller than 25, I will buy the extras from you.

Get some red tape and white cups and forks
    Bowling party. White cups with red stripes, also black plates with white dots(bowling balls)
    a bowling party with piles of DIY details
    Also some circle stickers for black balloons and red plates ^

I would ask the baker to do a round bowling ball cake.
    Or a white sheet cake and take them this bowling set to add
    Bowling Cake Deco Set

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    hmp1hmp1 member
    edited December 2014
    Is my office the only one that doesn't do alcohol for work exchanges? Unless you know other people are bringing alcohol for their buddy, I wouldn't do it this year.

Depends on the spending limit but I like the small gift basket ideas. I love the idea for the dude with chapstick and sunscreen stick, do you know where he goes snowboarding? Maybe a $5-10 gift card so he can get a cup of soup or something while there. If not a $5-10 DD gift card is good too.

The girl, a cute scarf. Does she use note pads at work, does she have cutesy type stuff on her desk? I was thinking a cute note pad and you can wrap a scarf around it. Can I say cute one more time?

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    hmp1 said:
    Is my office the only one that doesn't do alcohol for work exchanges? Unless you know other people are bringing alcohol for their buddy, I wouldn't do it this year.

Depends on the spending limit but I like the small gift basket ideas. I love the idea for the dude with chapstick and sunscreen stick, do you know where he goes snowboarding? Maybe a $5-10 gift card so he can get a cup of soup or something while there. If not a $5-10 DD gift card is good too.

The girl, a cute scarf. Does she use note pads at work, does she have cutesy type stuff on her desk? I was thinking a cute note pad and you can wrap a scarf around it. Can I say cute one more time?
    It's fairly common around here to give alcohol as a gift.  I personally will only do it if I am confident that the person 1) drinks and 2) likes that type of alcohol.  I know my direct boss doesn't drink wine, so I would never give that to her, but her boss does, and we've gifted her wine before.  

Maybe it's because we like to drink up here in WI. ;)

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

• Options
    Yeah, I would feel odd giving alcohol as a gift at a work function. It's different IMO if I'm going to a boss or colleague's home and bringing a bottle of wine.

• Options
    Oh and @hmp1, FYI - if I decide to do a bowling party for Brody this year, I'm totally stealing those ideas.  :)  

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

• Options
    Does the girl wear boots? I love these boot cuffs.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Or a scarf?
    Is he a Bears fan?

At the bowling ally make sure you ask them for an old pin. Write "Happy 4th(?) Birthday Keagan" on it and have evey one sign it. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"