Cloth Diapering

More babywearing

SmallllminSmallllmin member
edited December 2014 in Cloth Diapering
I'm pretty sure my Bjorn was the cause of my back issues.
I haven't worn it in a few days, and I feel much better.
I'm still not ready to jump on the Tula wagon... it's so flipping expensive. Especially because the stupid Bjorn was $70.

Is the Ergo just as good? Is it better than the Bjorn?
Is there another brand I should consider?

FWIW: I like this one.
And yes, I realize it's only $30 cheaper than the Tula, but if it's just as good, I'd rather have that 30 bucks.
...And TGN has $10 off $100 today.

ETA: TIA! and pricing

Dx: Vasa Previa w/DS1
**Tinymin born 8/14 @35w1d**
"Annnnnnd you win the award for best SN evar." -LindsRockies

imageimage

Re: More babywearing

• @theultimatesak‌ What do you like better about the Tula?

imageimage
  • Babywearing International will let you try on different carriers and such. I <3 my wrap, and it was $50 from an Etsy shop. I think @mandmeesh used the Infantino mei tei. There are lots of options. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @flummadiddle85‌ The wraps confuse me. I know there are probably different kinds, but I got completely tangled up in K'tan and it left a bad taste in my mouth lol.

I'd rather find a structured carrier.

imageimage
  • I have a mei tai and like it for short lengths of time, but really, really love my moby. Wraps aren't that hard if you just practice.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • I love it when you talk babywearing, Nana.

But they're all right. I had a Beco, and it was awesome until G1 got to be about 20lbs... When I switched to the tula, it was night and day. I've never had an ergo, so I can't speak to that. Definitely see if you can find a way to try a coupl first :)
    London Eye 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersimage

• Lol! I am on my 4th Tula now too. :)

My friend owns a store that carries them and she's been eyeing my sugarplum Tula. So, she had a print I wanted and I had one she wanted. So we traded. Now I have a raccoon Tula.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I have a Lillebaby and like it alot. I liked the tula but my husband didn't think it had enough support so we chose the Lillebaby.
    TTC since 11/1/12
    BFP 1/2/13
    Ultrasound showed no heartbeat 2/14/13
    BFP 12/7/13
    EDD 8/18/14
    1st Beta 89, 2nd Beta 214
    Stick Baby Stick!!!
  • sarenu1sarenu1 member
    edited December 2014
    I have an Ergo and a Tula. Hands down I love my Tula.

To me the Tula was easier to adjust and has a higher back. The shoulders are padded better. I also get a better fit for back carries, with the ergo I felt like i didn't have a secure back carry.
  • I agree with the pair of jeans analogy. Don't pay full price for an ergo. Tj maxx has them sometimes. Mine is fine but it does pinch under my arms.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I like my Boba 4g, but I sometimes wish I could do a hip carry with it.
    If I had it all to do over again, I'd choose an Ergo.

We have a second hand shop that specializes in baby items.
    They always have Bjorns.  I was there today and there were about a dozen to choose from.
    They sometimes have Ergos, but they usually get bought up pretty quick.
    (I did find and buy a nice organic Ergo backpack diaper bag today though :)
  • I love my Becco Gemini. It's similar to an Ergo, but it also has a forward facing option. I was able to rent one at a local shop before buying one. I had an Ergo, but my son hated it. My daughter likes it more. I didn't realize before I bought it that babies have preferences, too- I wish that I had waited to try a couple out instead of buying one when I was pregnant.

• Prior to hearing about and owning a tula I really liked my Beco Gemini and recommended that to everyone.  I haven't used my gemini since I got my tula though so I have a hard time comparing them.  Honestly, I like them both for different stages and different reasons.   I like my gemini for the itty bitty stage.  It is more structured and therefore able to be used with a newborn without an insert(down to 7lbs).  Once I hit the 17-20lb stage I didn't use my gemini much.  But, I bought that with DD #2 and honestly just got really busy with work that I didn't baby wear much because I didn't have a life outside of a hospital.  This time around I bought my Tula when DS was 5 months old and haven' t looked back.  Instead I just keep buying more tulas ;)  

I see you have a 4 month old so you are out of the itty bitty stage.... I would honestly pay more for the tula.  The resale value is AMAZING, which means that you can use it for as long as you need it and likely get most if not all of your money back(or even make money).  No other carrier will be like that.  Chances also are that if you buy a fabric pattern now and it becomes discontinued you may even make money off of it later on as long as you keep it in good shape.  If you are seriously considering different types of carrier, join the b/s/t groups on Facebook for each and see what they are reselling for.  You will be very impressed by tulas!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Alright guys, you're all very convincing. I'm saving my pennies for a Tula.

Hopefully the baby consignment store down the road will take my Bjorn.
    It would be nice to get something back for it :/

imageimage
  • Honestly, I find in the debate of Ergo vs Tula, Tula is usually the majority. Ergo is well liked, but Tulas are loved. In my experience.

I am an ergo user, I like it, but sometimes I find it uncomfortable. I don't wear so much these days so I can't justify buying a Tula, so I just look at them fondly in stores.

If I ever have a second child, I will probably get a Tula. I'd say spend the extra $30 and buy the Tula. They maintain resale value better than the Ergo anyway.
  • I'll just reiterate what everyone else said...I started with an ergo and I like it. But sometimes I feel like the fit isn't great and it gets uncomfortable. I tried a tula and find it much more comfortable. I like the ergo enough that I still have it and use it primarily inside the house, for walking the dog, etc. I keep the tula in the car and use it for outings which are typically longer.

My husband likes both.

This is for front carries only - we haven't tried back carries yet.
  • I thought I was perfectly happy with my Beco Gemini. You guys just made me feel like I need a Tula though! :-?
  • I don't want to hijack the thread but I have a quick tula question. I've been doing a ton of research on baby carriers and was ready to purchase a tula but then I was told it may not be as comfortable on shorter people. I'm just over 5 feet so now I'm hesitating. Do any other height challenged people have the same feedback or does height not matter?
  • Well, I was just discussing this with grandma, and now she's gone and bought me one for Christmas.
    Problem solved!

@nanabanana06‌ I got the raccoon one too! I really liked the skulls one, but it was sold out on all the websites that had 10%off

imageimage
  • I'm 5'3" if that helps. I'm also considered petite for most clothing.

I still love my Tula, but I need to adjust it down a lot.

Do you have a BWI near you? It's an awesome resource to find a good fit.
  • @sarenu1‌ the closest one is about 2 hours away. I hadn't considered making the trip before but now I'm hoping to make it up to a meeting after the holidays.

Thanks for the info!
  • I'm 5', and I love my tula :)
    London Eye 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersimage

• I'm 5'7" and SO is 5'10". We both use the Tula. :) Though for taller people I think a Kinderpack is better loved. I don't fidn them very comfortable in the front, they tend to dig into my arm fat. Back carries though, are amazing. Tula is comfoy for me too, and pretty amazing in a front carry, so we keep it. :)
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Mapleme said:

I actually have the opposite question about the Tula. I keep hearing that they're good for shorter folks and I'm 5'11" so I'm wondering if I would like their fit.

I'm 5'10" & love my toddler tula. It is comfortable for front or back carry for my 32 lb DD. I wish I had found out about tula earlier.
  • If I bought w tula in cloudy or urban it's could I sew my own fabric panel on it?
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If I bought w tula in cloudy or urban it's could I sew my own fabric panel on it?

I see covers for tulas on the fsot pages from time to time. I think they even make them for ergo too.
    They have some on Etsy too if you want to get some ideas.

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"