High-Risk Pregnancy

Early Preeclampsia?? *update in comments*

nursej519nursej519 member
edited December 2014 in High-Risk Pregnancy
Good evening ladies!

I am new to this board, coming over from May 2015. I haven't been lurking long so please forgive me for any faux pas.

Looking for advice/tips on what to expect next etc. I am currently 16 weeks. I had an appointment last week, at wwhich my BP was 150/90. I have never had high blood pressure before. My physician asked me to come back today for a recheck but to also have seen "baseline" blood work ddone, including a 24 hour urine. Today, my BP was 137/86. Better but still elevated.

What was more concerning was that my total urine protein for the 24 hour urine was nearly 500. Since my appointment was with the nurse, she said that the on call phsycian would contact me in regards to the next step. Well, its 9pm and I haven't heard from anything so I am sitting home with nothing but worry!

I am hoping that I am stressing over something that can be easily managed, but I really have no experience! I am a FTM and so far, other than elevated BP, my only symptom has been continuous headaches for days on end.

Re: Early Preeclampsia?? *update in comments*

• Also -- if it is not quite to the point of a pre-eclampsia diagnosis... Is there anything I can do to make sure it doesn't get there??
  • Sstites26Sstites26 member
    edited December 2014
    @nursej519‌ did you ever hear back? I'm curious as I was just diagnosed yesterday at 28 weeks. They've been watching me for two weeks with high bp and some protein, as of yesterday the protein was high enough to now classify it as preeclampsia. During the two weeks my doctor put me on partial bed rest to try and hold it off as long as possible. I'm now on complete bed rest, no work, bp meds, got steroid shots, and they will induce if I can get to 34 weeks. Plus twice weekly nst's and lab work.
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes, I actually just heard back today. I am 17 weeks. They are sending me to a high risk physician. Until then, I won't really know any more. I am waiting for them to call me to set that up. I am just a nervous wreck until then, which I am sure isn't helping. Its just so frustrating because I am so early and have no idea what to expect!!
  • I had elevated protein (got up to high 200s) and high BP and was treated with BP meds and extra monitoring. 

I'm not sure what a reading over 500 this early means, but I am guessing you will have lots of blood tests to check your organ function (kidneys and liver).

Cut sodium way down now...no more processed foods (canned soup, frozen meals, watch light/low fat items for extra sodium)  cook from scratch and don't add salt.  that will help some.

I'm guessing you will go on BP meds (I took labetalol with my first 2 pregnancies).

You might be looking at bed rest too, and a 39w induction.

Good luck - I hope it all turns out ok for you and baby.

DD 7/2010, DS 3/2012, #3 due 4/24/2015

• Thanks! My first appt with MFM isn't until Dec 30 so it's just a waiting game until then.
  • I was just admitted to the hospital today. I definitely have preeclampsia with some severe symptoms. They are going to monitor me and the baby and determine when the best time to deliver would be. I'm only 28w3d so hopefully we can keep it under control here till between 32-34 weeks. On the 6th my protein levels were 230, not even high enough to classify it as preeclampsia. But last night they were almost 4,000.
  • Thinking about you!!
  • lots of T&Ps!!! Please keep us updated on how you are doing!
  • @KatD2011‌ Thank you! As of right now, my OB does not think that it is preeclampsia but rather some sort of underlying issue I never knew I had.. Now the fun part in figuring out what it is! I have a renal ultrasound today to look for issues with my kidneys. I had a couple labs done yesterday, including thyroid (TSH) and parathyroid, which both came back great. I also go to my first MFM appointment on Tuesday so I will be interested to see what she has to say. It's very overwhelming not knowing! My blood pressures have been consistently high 140s-160s and although my spot uurines continue to come back negative/trace protein, my 24 hour urine was nearly 500 for protein. So weird!
  • Thanks for the update! That is weird! Hopefully you get an answer soon! I have the high protein in my urine but my BP is up and down so they aren't calling it as preeclampsia yet. Good luck :)
  • I hope @nursej519‌ @Sstites26‌ are doing well. Pre eclampsia is no joke (it sucks) thankfully mine didn't show till 35+6 but it came on suddenly and was pretty severe warranting an emergency induction. I hope everything is under control or maintained well!
    IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • Had my first MFM appointment today. She assured me that what I have going on is NOT preeclampsia, just maybe some underlying hypertension that was never caught/diagnosed. With the proteinuria, she thinks it might all be related to a kidney issue. She said normally she would recommend an ACE Inhibitor but that since it is not recommended in pregnancy, that she will start me on Labeltalol. I am okay with this. I am glad we caught it now. She says I'll likely be at higher risk for preeclampsia so I will be monitored very closely with weekly appointments between either MFM and my OB until baby arrives.

I also found out today that my baby GIRL only has a 2 vessel cord. At this point, all of the babies anatomy looks great and it doesn't appear to be related to a congenital abnormality. I will have monthly ultrasounds to make sure the baby is growing properly. As of right now, she is at the top of the percentile in all categories and appears to be going great!

My cervix also measured a little short but again, they're just going to monitor that closely too. Such an overwhelming appointment!!
  • I know this thread is a little old and I'm not sure if you are still getting notifications from it but I just wanted to add my experience.

At my 32w appt with my last pregnancy my BP was 145/90 and my protein was +3. I did a 24-hour collection and my protein count was at 1500 mg (5 times the maximum). Since I had no other signs of pre-e other than the BP and protein my OB started me on meds for my BP and had me do weekly blood tests and 24-hour urine collections. Other than rising protein count I never had any other issues and my bloodwork looked perfect so he even allowed me to return to work at 38w (at my request, I'm a teacher). We finally induced at my due date when my protein count was almost 3000. I know that everyone's experience is different but I just wanted to let you know that you can have high BP and high protein output without necessarily having other complications. Lots of T&Ps that you have a healthy pregnancy!
    DS1: 8/3/10, DD1: 8/17/13, DD2: 8/13/15
    Twins lost to due to partial molar pregnancy: September 2011 
    ~~PAL, PgAL Always Welcome~~
  • Thank you for sharing your story!
  • Your welcome :smile: How are things going?
    DS1: 8/3/10, DD1: 8/17/13, DD2: 8/13/15
    Twins lost to due to partial molar pregnancy: September 2011 
    ~~PAL, PgAL Always Welcome~~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"