Cloth Diapering

Tylenol: ncdr

What are your thoughts about Tylenol? I tend to hold off giving any at first to see if my daughter will improve on her own unless it's a high fever. If I've given it at night and she wakes up in the morning without the fever going up again I will again hold off to see if she keeps improving.

Example: Yesterday she suddenly spiked a fever of 102.1...I held off 20 minutes to check again and see if it was still going up. It stayed the same so I gave her Tylenol. It came down to 101.7 with the Tylenol but it was starting to go up again last night so I gave her another dose before bed. This morning it was 100 so I held off.

Do you keep giving another dose until the fever is gone, or do you stop once it seems to be coming down? I've always thought it was good to give her body a chance to fight it if it seems to be doing so, but I wonder if it's better to keep dosing until the fever is gone when it's gone that high. Please share your insights with me. For clarification, I am in no way asking for a medical opinion, I just like to try to deal with things as naturally as I can but I find myself riding the fence a little with this.
Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.

Re: Tylenol: ncdr

• We only give it if she's got a fever or at night when she's teething to help her sleep a little better. If she wakes and still has the fever above 100, we'll give another dose, but once is back in the normal range, we hold off until needed again. Tylenol is like magic for kids' fevers!

For stuff like teething pain, we'll do the 4-6hr frequency as long as she seems really uncomfortable (as in, teethers aren't helping at all).
                          PitaPata Dog tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't give tylenol unless the fever is 101 or higher.  I continue to dose as long as the fever is over 101, unless it lasts more than 24 hours or goes over 102, then I call the ped.  Low grade fevers mean the body is working on something, so I let it be.

For teething, we generally only give tylenol or advil at bedtime, but that's because she doesn't seem too bothered by it during the day.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you so much everyone! She woke up from her nap and it's back up to 101.9 so I gave her Tylenol again and I'm going to call the ped as soon as they open back up from lunch. There's a lot of stuff going around and she also got her vaccines a week ago so hopefully that's all it is, but it's been 24 hours now and it still keeps going back up so I want to see what they think. Poor thing, we all just got better from the last round of junk. :(
    Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.
  • I prefer ibuprofen and we generally go by symptoms rather than number. I am much more likely to use it at nightvs the day time. I think fevers are good and don't want to suppress them automatically, but I'm not into making my kid suffer just for crunchy street cred, either.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks, she is drinking her soy milk on track and I've been trying to get her to takes sips of water in between meals. I definitely don't want her getting dehydrated. I called and talked to the nurse and they want us to come in since her temp keeps going back up and it's been over 24 hrs. We have an appt for 3:45.
  • Stomach bug. Poor thing. :(
  • TJ1979 said:
    I don't give tylenol unless the fever is 101 or higher.  I continue to dose as long as the fever is over 101, unless it lasts more than 24 hours or goes over 102, then I call the ped.  Low grade fevers mean the body is working on something, so I let it be.

For teething, we generally only give tylenol or advil at bedtime, but that's because she doesn't seem too bothered by it during the day.
    I think this is what most Peds recommend as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"