Adoption
Options

intro & advice welcome

bbyskittelsbbyskittels member
edited December 2014 in Adoption
Hi all,
I wanted to intro myself and our situation before I started getting involved.
We were married this past June, do not have any children yet. We are not currently ttc but we do hope to be blessed with a biological child. My DH has a sister who was adopted in high school, and seeing their family interaction warms my heart and has it's unique challenges. He told me several years ago he wants to adopt and have biological children. I was surprised, but I am completely on board. I didn't interact with anyone who was open about being adopted until HS, so I know I need to be open minded and learn a lot! 
I hope to learn from you ladies, like I've been learning from the ttc board. I'm curious to see what we need to do in advance, and lots of questions come to mind like have good timing with biological and adopted children and ages. (We have no preconceived idea of age, etc for the adoption.) I hope this is the place for me, I hope to give you encouragment and support, and be a shoulder to lean on when you need it.
xx
Eta: I had some weird wording.

Re: intro & advice welcome

• Options
    runforcookiesrunforcookies member
    edited December 2014
    Welcome & I wish you luck on your journey. I'm sorry I have no advice as I am so new to this but the women here are so amaxing and supportive I am sure you'll find what you are looking for.
  • Options
    Welcome
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Welcome to this board.  Advice and support is what these ladies do best and the reason I joined myself.  Wish I had done it as early as you are, because you really do learn a lot from all of these experiences.  
  • Options
    Hello, and welcome.
  • Options
    Welcome! Do you know what form of adopting you're looking into (domestic infant adoption, foster to adopt, international)?
    Birthmom to A, 1/8- the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

A Journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. -Lao-Tzu

• Options
    bbyskittelsbbyskittels member
    edited December 2014
    @CarolinaGirl2014‌ Open to all. We don't feel led in a specific direction yet. I am mostly czech and German, DH is mostly German. We could share that with an intention adoption possibly, but not something I'm focusing on. The only thing I feel reserved on is an addicted newborn, but it isn't a definite no. I guess that's really my first question, how did others know what was best for them? Did they just know, was there a moment or encounter that helped them? Maybe I should post that as a discussion.

Edit: wording...I'm not great at it lol

• Options
    @runforcookies‌ hopefully we can learn together!

• Options
    @perumom‌ I was reading one of your recent posts, I need to follow along with your blog! The only two things I definitely know about foster/adoption is that the process is hard, and that all children deserve love. xx

• Options
    Welcome! my dh and I decided foster to adopt 2 kids 0 to 8. what helped us to decide was the initial class we had explaining all types of adoption. I strongly recommend you do that and I garantee as you educate yourself your mind will change a lot!
  • Options
    @fredalina , thank you! I will check out some books and start to get the book research done. I am glad to hear about your daughter. I thought I could be narrow minded about it, and that's probably just because there is a general assumption that it can lead to problems down the road. But like you said, she could have had them anyway, and such sounds wonderful anyway. (I love the photo in your siggy!!)  I see so many people mentioning foster/adoption so I think that's my first big research project.  

• Options
    @spooko good reminder! Whose to say what my genes might give me?
    And thanks a LOT in advance, that's my answer to my moms unasked question...what if they have _____? My DHs answer would be far less understanding and full of snark!! She's visiting next week, so I'm hanging into my hat lol.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"