December 2013 Moms

Help! Baby not napping at daycare

My little one has just started going to an in-home daycare since I'm going back to work on Monday. He's been going for a week now, and hasn't had a proper nap yet. He only sleeps in the stroller for 1/2 hr or so when they are out for walks. But when being put to sleep in the house, he just refuses and cries and cries, even though he's exhausted. Yesterday, the caretaker called me to come get him, because he just wouldn't stop crying, wouldn't sleep, but wouldn't play either, just being miserable. As soon as I got there he was fine, but now I am worried sick, since I can't come get him come Monday when I'm at work all day...
I think he just misses me and finding himself in an unfamiliar place with someone different is throwing him off, but I don't know what to do. We never sleep trained him, we hold him, pat, shoosh him, give a bottle and pacifier until he falls asleep, but now I'm thinking we should have trained him to self soothe... Is it to late do you think? Does anyone know how sleep training is done for naps? The caretaker is doing all the same things as me, but to no avail. I feel stuck now because I can't do it during the day and don't know if the caretaker will be ok with a sleep training plan. I was thinking starting with night sleeping and weekends, just using a sleep training technique to help him self soothe (checking in at increasing intervals or some other version of CIO), and hope that it helps with the daycare napping. What do you guys think? Anyone with a similar experience?
I hate the idea of CIO, but I hate seeing my baby overtired and cranky and not being able to be there to hold him.

Re: Help! Baby not napping at daycare

• edited December 2014
    O went through a phase where he only slept 30 min a day at daycare, but those were the last weeks in the baby room. When he moved to the toddler room, even though it hasn't been a completely smooth transition, he takes 2 hour naps. For him, he had to be in a room with all the kids napping at once. Obviously in the infant room, babies are all on their own schedules, but in the toddler room, they all go down at the same time for official "nap time". I have heard that in-home centers have this issue a lot because of the wide rang in ages in the same place. Maybe your care provider can find a quieter, more out of the way place for your LO to nap? Otherwise, as much as it sucks, if you think lack of nap is impacting his quality of life (e.g. he is miserable and crying all the time) or his development, you may need to look for a care situation that allows for more ideal nap conditions. 
  • 1. He needs time to adjust. Yes he may not nap at all the first couple weeks that he is at daycare, but our director told us to expect this as they adjust to a new normal.

2. He may not nap well at daycare. LO has been in daycare for 9 months and has never really been a great napper at daycare.

Try moving his bedtime to a little earlier if you find he isn't napping and see if your provider can find a quieter place for him to nap.

Not bumping on The Bump anymore

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Great Support, Great Conversations, and more than just Cloth Diapering at our new home

• Loading the player...
  • I think it's unfortunate that the provider felt the need to make you pick him up.  Letting you know would be appropriate but they should be equipped to handle a baby that is getting used to daycare for the first time.  I don't think it's ever too late to sleep train.  Does baby have a lovey or any tips you can give the provider.  When LO was much younger she was comforted by being sung to.  My mom cared for LO the first time and knew that singing calmed her and she was able to get her to sleep (when even I couldn't).  Good luck and remember that you are not doing anything wrong.  Baby will adjust you both just need to be strong and hang in there.  

image Lilypie - (zGBv)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • How did today go?

Not bumping on The Bump anymore

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Great Support, Great Conversations, and more than just Cloth Diapering at our new home

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"