3rd Trimester
Options

epidural or natural ?

Re: epidural or natural ?

• Options
    BookitBoo said:

drpayne said:

BookitBoo said:

I think you should educate yourself. Talk to your doctor about articles or literature they may have.

The term 'natural' is very loaded. Saying that the term has always been used and should always be acceptable is ridiculous -- when you know better, do better. Lots of things change and develop from their origins. If you think hard enough I'm sure you can come up with some terms that are no longer used because they are inaccurate or insensitive. A more accurate term in this case would be non-medicated vaginal birth.

It's not loaded. At all. It's an asinine thing to be offended by.

From a dictionary:
    natural: existing in nature and not made or caused by people : coming from nature
    : not having any extra substances or chemicals added : not containing anything artificial
    : usual or expected

Just because a few hypersensitive people want to make an issue out of nothing doesn't mean everyone else needs to stop using a word. As a previous poster mentioned, defensive people are usually insecure about some thing.
    LOL

From a dictionary

Main entry: natural
    Definition: in accordance with nature; relating to or concerning nature
    Usage: a very natural development; our natural environment; natural science; natural resources; natural cliffs; natural phenomena

Antonyms: unnatural
    Definition: not in accordance with or determined by nature; contrary to nature
    Usage: an unnatural death; the child's unnatural interest in death

It's not about people being defensive or insecure. It's about recognizing something is inaccurate. If a 'natural' birth is med free and vaginal then any birth that is not med free or non-vaginal are unnatural. It's pretty basic...and inaccurate. You can definitely call it what you want but stubbornly holding on to a term that is inaccurate for shits and giggles is just beyond me.

Also, It is a loaded term, and even though it doesn't offend you doesn't mean it's inoffensive. In fact, with so many people expressing how offensive it is I don't see how you can see that it 'isn't offensive.' Those feelings are legit.

Okie dokie.

It has nothing to do with being stubborn. I simply disagree. So, we aren't going to get anywhere.

Have a good night.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @BookitBoo‌, I think I love you :x .
  • Options

drpayne said:

BookitBoo said:

I think you should educate yourself. Talk to your doctor about articles or literature they may have.

The term 'natural' is very loaded. Saying that the term has always been used and should always be acceptable is ridiculous -- when you know better, do better. Lots of things change and develop from their origins. If you think hard enough I'm sure you can come up with some terms that are no longer used because they are inaccurate or insensitive. A more accurate term in this case would be non-medicated vaginal birth.

From a dictionary:
    natural: existing in nature and not made or caused by people : coming from nature
    : not having any extra substances or chemicals added : not containing anything artificial

Just because a few hypersensitive people want to make an issue out of nothing doesn't mean everyone else needs to stop using a word. As a previous poster mentioned, defensive people are usually insecure about some thing.
    I am not hypersensitive at all but refuse to believe my birth experience to have been unnatural in any way.
    By saying my birth experience is unnatural it, to me, makes my birth experience sound sub par to those who had unmedicated births and that's not ok with me.
    Then to lump people who want to have a healthy debate or speak their minds into a group you label insecure. You might as well say "If you disagree with me you are defensive.".
    -----------end quote----------

Ummmm yes. This.

On one hand you're telling people that everyone has their reasons for choosing whatever and not to judge. On the other hand you are judging everyone who is saying that they don't believe their births were any less natural because of using pain relief.

What I'm hearing is "don't judge my opinions but my judgement is that your opinions make you insecure." Wtf is that?? It's bullshit.

Go ahead and keep reading waaaaaay more into it than necessary. I didn't coin the phrase "natural birth." To most people, the expression simply means without meds, which in itself is not meant to be offensive. It's not implying anything about the act of giving birth or imparting judgement about different methods chosen. You're creating all of the controversy in your head. Its like some people are just looking for something to bitch about. I really don't care how you give birth. Or what you want to call it. At all. But don't tell me I mean something I don't when I use the term "natural birth."
  • Options
    It is a personal choice. I would suggest reading up on the pros and cons of both med free childbirth and having an epidural. I am going to tell you something that no one told me but I found out during labor. ( I did plan and prepare for a med free birth.) It is amazing how your body reacts to the pain during labor. You release all these hormones that make you feel high. With this being said I would describe my labor as intense but not really painful. Pushing did not hurt at all. I was laughing as I reached down to catch my son. My doctor said that that was the easiest birth she had attended in months. I gave birth in a hospital with a 99% epidural rate so med free deliveries are uncommon.
  • Options
    drpayne said:

drpayne said:

BookitBoo said:

From a dictionary:

I am not hypersensitive at all but refuse to believe my birth experience to have been unnatural in any way.
    By saying my birth experience is unnatural it, to me, makes my birth experience sound sub par to those who had unmedicated births and that's not ok with me.
    Then to lump people who want to have a healthy debate or speak their minds into a group you label insecure. You might as well say "If you disagree with me you are defensive.".

Ummmm yes. This.

On one hand you're telling people that everyone has their reasons for choosing whatever and not to judge. On the other hand you are judging everyone who is saying that they don't believe their births were any less natural because of using pain relief.

What I'm hearing is "don't judge my opinions but my judgement is that your opinions make you insecure." Wtf is that?? It's bullshit.

Go ahead and keep reading waaaaaay more into it than necessary. I didn't coin the phrase "natural birth." To most people, the expression simply means without meds, which in itself is not meant to be offensive. It's not implying anything about the act of giving birth or imparting judgement about different methods chosen. You're creating all of the controversy in your head. Its like some people are just looking for something to bitch about. I really don't care how you give birth. Or what you want to call it. At all. But don't tell me I mean something I don't when I use the term "natural birth."

Nah, bro.
    It's being aware of the nuances of language, and the way it's constantly evolving. It's about not using terms you've been told are offensive.

And LOL at not being stubborn.We have a difference of opinions, sure. But you keep saying things like 'it's in your head,' and how people are 'looking for something to bitch about.' You can be ignorant about how offensive terms are, but when you've been informed multiple times, gently and politely, that they are offensive and continue to use them -- that, my friend, is stubborn. Much like an old man who refuses to stop using the term 'retarded.'

I also don't care how anyone chooses to give birth. I recognize that some natural processes don't occur without medical intervention.

I'm curious about your opinion on the terms gender and sex. Since they used to be interchangeable and have since evolved along with our understanding of gender roles VS sex.

• Options
    BookitBoo said:

drpayne said:

drpayne said:

BookitBoo said:

From a dictionary:

Ummmm yes. This.

Nah, bro.
    It's being aware of the nuances of language, and the way it's constantly evolving. It's about not using terms you've been told are offensive.

And LOL at not being stubborn.We have a difference of opinions, sure. But you keep saying things like 'it's in your head,' and how people are 'looking for something to bitch about.' You can be ignorant about how offensive terms are, but when you've been informed multiple times, gently and politely, that they are offensive and continue to use them -- that, my friend, is stubborn. Much like an old man who refuses to stop using the term 'retarded.'

I also don't care how anyone chooses to give birth. I recognize that some natural processes don't occur without medical intervention.

I'm curious about your opinion on the terms gender and sex. Since they used to be interchangeable and have since evolved along with our understanding of gender roles VS sex.

There's no opinion involved in the "sex" vs "gender" debate. You're either right or wrong because they mean different things. Sex is determined at the anatomy scan. Gender is determined much later on. I don't even understand how this is related?
  • Options
    Some people argue that they are interchangeable and I assumed (wrongly) that you were one of those people. I'm glad that's not the case :)

It's related because the terms were interchangeable at one point and then when it became apparent that they weren't the same thing -- that one was pejorative and just generally inaccurate when applied to the other, most every able-minded person was able to transition their vocabulary without much qualm.

Just like there is no 'opinion' involved here, and most people when informed that something is offensive and inaccurate would say 'oh, ok, my bad,' and move on instead of insisting people just want to be pissed. I'm not pissed; mostly I'm bemused that you don't seem to understand the difference and the importance.
  • Options
    BookitBooBookitBoo member
    edited December 2014
    @writeonwater‌

Glad you got the birth that you wanted. You shouldn't throw so much shade at how other people choose (or sometimes don't choose) to give birth.

Your birth experience isn't somehow more valid, and doesn't make you more worthy of cookies.
  • Options
    AmstreagleAmstreagle member
    edited December 2014

Do you want a cookie?
    You know what? I'll take that cookie janda426 and I'll eat it too. I have every right to be proud of myself. I accomplished what very few people are capable of doing because our society teaches us to fear birth. Every mother should be able to feel proud of how they birthed their baby whether med free, with meds or by csection. A response like yours shows immaturity and perhaps unresolved issues that you have with your own birth. My goodness the OP asked for advice not a heated personal debate.
    quote fail..........................................
    It's a public forum.....You can't dictate responses. Actually all women are capable of going med free. They either chose not to or had to have a medical intervention preventing them from that possibility.image
  • Options
    BookitBoo said:

@writeonwater‌

Glad you got the birth that you wanted. You shouldn't throw so much shade at how other people choose (or sometimes don't choose) to give birth.

Your birth experience isn't somehow more valid, and doesn't make you more worthy of cookies.

I love you!!! :x

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    @PrimRoseMama‌
    @Amstreagle‌

Awww, I love you guys too <3
  • Options
    If you are altering the birth experience or sensation associated with birthing with the use of chemicals it is no longer natural.  That being said, "not natural or medicated" isn't and shouldn't be considered a bad thing.  Different yes, bad no.  As for myself I am aiming to not have an epidural or any drug that may inhibit movement but if it comes down to it for the safety of the baby I will do whatever needs to be done.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @SSCmomma‌

Gotta be honest, That's as silly as when you said that neither gender nor sex or derogatory terms so it doesn't matter what you use.

• Options
    I just love getting you guys riled up!  Its so fun and easy.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I don't understand what gets people the impression that we are riled up or being snarky. Debate is healthy!
  • Options
    schnitz9 said:

Here's a little tidbit that I thought should be added too.  There are risks either way.  If you are having a med-free birth and your baby needs an emergency c-section (HR drops drastically or the baby is in severe distress) they will not have time to give you a spinal.  You will have to go under general anesthesia.  This is a huge risk not just to the baby but to the mother.  Of course with an unplanned c-section like a breech or failure to progress there is time to start one. But if you already have an EPI and god forbid something drastic happens you already have the EPI started and being put to sleep does not have to be your only option.  I don't see to have the best of luck (as many on my BMB know) so i like know that I can be prepared for everything.

This isn't really accurate. It takes time to crank up an epi to surgical strength. If it's a true emergency "we have to get the baby out NOW" situation you'll end up with general anesthesia anyway because the epi you have for a vaginal birth is not set to the level necessary for surgery. If there IS time to crank it up to surgical strength then there's probably time to put in a spinal if you had been going med free. Also some hospitals no longer use an epi for a c-section because there is too high a rate of breakthrough pain vs. spinal.
  • Options
    Unnatural = Not existing in nature; artificial.
    By definition a birth with an epi, narcotics, pitocin, episiotomy, cesarean, or any other medical intervention is not a natural birth. Does that mean that you're somehow less of a mother/woman/badass because you chose to use one (or several) of these interventions? Absolutely not.

Of course there are women who think that their way is the only way. They're wrong. There are women who feel insecure about their choices because of the first group (or their own issues). They shouldn't.

Can't we just all agree that any birth where those involved are happy with the outcome is a win?

OP, this is a very personal decision that we can't make for you. I had an epi with my first and didn't like how it made me feel. This time I'm planning on going natural for that and a myriad of other reasons. I would recommend researching as much as you can get your hands on. I really loved "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth", but there are so many options. The most important thing is that you decide ahead of time what you're comfortable with and talk it over with your doctor. Good luck!

• Options
    Well, I give up.

Enjoy yourselves ladies.
  • Options
    SSCmomma said:
    I just love getting you guys riled up!  Its so fun and easy.

isn't going around to instigate the exact definition of trolling?

Actually I post a number of responses that are both in support of or disagreeing with the OP's on many topics, so no not trolling.  I just laugh when I post something that is completely neutral and there are a handful of people on these boards that always manage to read things how they want to read them.
    What I said in my original comment was
    "If you are altering the birth experience or sensation associated with birthing with the use of chemicals it is no longer natural.  That being said, "not natural or medicated" isn't and shouldn't be considered a bad thing.  Different yes, bad no."

In no way was I criticizing anyone's choice.  I said I was going into my own birth open to the need for drugs.  I still stand by saying that introducing a chemical that alters the sensation of the procedure (I refer to manufactured chemicals of course but apparently have to spell that out on this site for some) does not constitute a "natural" birth.  A C-section is also not a natural birth but of course I don't think that it is less than or wrong.  People could/wound die without them for heavens sake!   The recovery is far more intense from what I am told.  So no, I am not criticizing anyone for getting a c-section or using drugs/epidural for pain management but it does make it a "not natural" birth experience.
    Everyone knows that when a woman says she wants a natural birth she is implying that she does not wish to have pain meds or induce labor.  I didn't coin the term.  It is what it is.  If you go to a hospital or birthing center and say you want a natural birth they know that this is to what you are referring.  If you are in a crowd of people (other than this crowd apparently) and you use the term natural birth they infer that you are intending an un-medicated birth.
    Finally, yes I do just laugh about it when I post something and someone gets defensive.  Feel free to go back through all the responses that I have ever made on this site.  While there have been many that disagreed with the OP or comments thereafter, NONE have ever been offensive or rude.  This site touts that it is for discussing ideas openly but let's be honest, if your ideas aren't in line with the majority then you are decided wrong.  So yes I chuckle at the absurdity and hypocrisy here.  It doesn't make me a troll, most likely just a bitch and I have no problem with owning that. Have a lovely day ladies, I headed off to work.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @SSCmomma‌

"I still stand by saying that introducing a chemical that alters the sensation of the procedure (I refer to manufactured chemicals of course but apparently have to spell that out on this site for some) does not constitute a "natural" birth"

Oh okay well good thing you aren't a websters dictionary and those decisions on definitions aren't up to you. Your opinion is worth squat here cause you're obviously wrong. Just deal with it.
  • Options
    janda426 said:

@SSCmomma‌

"I still stand by saying that introducing a chemical that alters the sensation of the procedure (I refer to manufactured chemicals of course but apparently have to spell that out on this site for some) does not constitute a "natural" birth"

Oh okay well good thing you aren't a websters dictionary and those decisions on definitions aren't up to you. Your opinion is worth squat here cause you're obviously wrong. Just deal with it.

Don't be silly. If she was Webster's dictionary she'd say this:

https://i.word.com/idictionary/natural childbirth
  • Options
    drpayne said:

janda426 said:

@SSCmomma‌

Don't be silly. If she was Webster's dictionary she'd say this:

https://i.word.com/idictionary/natural childbirth
    Too funny. On break and googled Websters dictionary and then typed natural childbirth and got this. I figured in case I was in fact wrong I could educate myself (always the first to admit when I'm wrong). Pretty sure the webster definition confirmed what I said though. I'm sure we could all find a million websites to support our personal decisions so I'm just not going to keep commenting on this because its clearly a waste of time. Agree to disagree. Have a healthy safe happy day to one and all.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"