September 2012 Moms
Options

UOs and Randoms

Re: UOs and Randoms

• Options
    I'm shocked at how many people would send their child to bed without dinner instead of making a something else the kid will eat. I think they have either never had to go to bed without dinner or have forgotten how it feels. I understand the 'we don't negotiate dinner' and the 'I make something they will like with the meal', but what if they absolutely do not like anything you have made?
    ETA: This may just be about being an older kid remembering how it was in my family.
    I would say 85% of the time Kate asks me for something to eat an hour or so after dinner is over. We always save her plate if she hasn't eaten, I reheat it and she'll eat some of what was left over. I also try to make meals with something that she can/will eat every night so we aren't battling all the time.

Katherine Quinn | 9.16.2012 | 38w4d

Ryan Lanman | 9.12.2014 | 40w

2 Losses | 10/2010 @ 5w | 9/2013 @ 10w4d
    Little Sprout Blog

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I classify raisins as a kid food. Unless it is on a salad I order from a restaurant, not something I chose to eat myself. I don't dislike them though.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    melody921 said:
    UO: I think if you win money, you shouldn't feel pressured to donate it right back to the organization hosting the raffle. I feel like this is happening everywhere -- at work events (I work for a nonprofit), at events where I volunteer through the United Way. It's to the point where if someone wins and doesn't hand the money back over, people talk smack about the person. I give throughout the year to different organizations, but if I win a raffle, it's mine dammit:
    Wait, don't you buy raffle tickets to benefit the organization?  I'd take the money and be like WOOHOO I'M GOING TO STARFUCKS, lata dudes.
    Exactly! Thank you @tinyhumantoe

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    jenndub said:
    Jimmy Fallon has a new baby girl and they named her Francis but call her Frannie. So now he has Winnie and and Frannie. I love it!!!!!
    I would love it more if he had spelled it right for a girl -- Frances  :-O

• Options
    My co-worker gave me a $5 Starbucks gift card to brighten my day on my first day back from maternity leave...

I was thinking about getting something fancy and new for a drink...any suggestions?

Little Sprout Blog

• Options
    I LOVE PEAS - I snack on frozen peas, and I'll open up a can and just eat them straight out with a spoon.  I love canned beets, too.  That has to be rare.

You guys are lucky that you got peas growing up.  I swear every night it was brussel sprouts or lima beans.  The lima beans my mom cooked were so dry they wicked the water out of your mouth and every cell in your body - I think our lives were at risk.
    Beets are SO foul.

• Options
    hmp1 said:
    I'm shocked at how many people would send their child to bed without dinner instead of making a something else the kid will eat. I think they have either never had to go to bed without dinner or have forgotten how it feels. I understand the 'we don't negotiate dinner' and the 'I make something they will like with the meal', but what if they absolutely do not like anything you have made?
    ETA: This may just be about being an older kid remembering how it was in my family.
    My kids have never protested so I'm guessing they really aren't hungry. If my kid is crying because they are hungry, I'm pretty sure I would offer up a banana but when James says he doesn't like chicken tonight and asks to put up his plate, fine by me.
    Exactly. If DS doesn't like dinner but is then asking for a treat, or DD is whining for something not on the table, then I don't feel bad at all. If they were truly hungry, it would be a different story.

• Options
    I don't think I have ever eaten a beet.
    OMG, I love beets...especially in a salad with goat cheese, walnuts and dried cranberries!

Little Sprout Blog

• Options
    hmp1hmp1 member
    edited December 2014
    hmp1 said:
    Going to bed without eating dinner and going to be hungry are two different things. My kids clean their plates at breakfast and lunch, seriously I am not worried about them refusing dinner.
    I understood you the first time, and I agreed with you. But you absolutely can eat lunch and dinner and still go to bed hungry, as was in my case. I also do not make a full meal of things the boys don't like- so if we eat enchiladas, I make rice and beans and the boys will eat rice and beans.I was just confused about the non negotiating part, did that include a full meal the child doesn't like or do we all try to work things in that we know they will eat.
    I would be willing to bet we all make something we think our child will like, doesn't mean they will. And just because he scarfed it down last week doesn't mean he won't turn his nose up this week. 

ETA: Also you posted when I was typing so I didn't see your comment above mine when I posted this. It was in addition to my previous post not in response to yours.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    hmp1hmp1 member
    edited December 2014
    melody921 said:
    jenndub said:
    Jimmy Fallon has a new baby girl and they named her Francis but call her Frannie. So now he has Winnie and and Frannie. I love it!!!!!
    Maybe it is a family name. My Grandmother was named after her Grandfather and her name is spelled Francis.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    hmp1 said:
    If my kid only ate chicken nuggets and french fries and never ate/tried anything else, they would probably go to bed hungry. I'm not playing chicken nugget and french fry games for dinner every night.  I'm also not making fancy crazy meals or anything. I don't like spicy so It's never spicy. It's all tame stuff that I know G has eaten in the past or is similar to something she likes. So if she's not eating it's because a.) she's not hungry or b.) she's being a jerk and it's not because she truly does not like what is front of her. 
    My kids do not only eat chicken nuggets, I keep them on hand because it is one thing I know they will eat any time I offer it. I was speaking about instances where you know that the meal most likely will not go over well with them, say like Chicken Tortilla Soup, that's what is one thing neither will eat and we love it. 
    And I think most of us would throw out some corn bread and apple slices with the meal if we thought the soup would be an issue for our kids. Again, not saying my kids will eat it but I think they will because they have loved it in the past.
    yup, this. or sometimes I'll take some of the stuff in it and make a quesadilla out of it. 
  • Options
    Do you really think any of us are putting out a plate of liver and saying eat this or go to bed? While I am sure there are parents out there like that, and maybe you came from a family like that. I get the feeling everyone here that stated they don't make a second meal is giving options during the initial dinner and not swaying from those usually likable options.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    I LOVE PEAS! My little people are nuts today, DD1 is trying to roll DD2 up in the play mat and teach her to roll across the living room, their both laughing so I'm not getting involved.

The best part of my day so far was finding the block set hmp recommended for half off on Amazon. Now the only thing I need to get is a gift for my mom. I just have no clue what tho get.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm really at a loss for what to name this baby.  I want to go super old - his grandma was Florence :D I love Flossie!   DH is stuck on Stephanie or Jennifer.  I'm not really sure what meeting in the middle would be, maybe Rosie?  I'm just not in love with any of the names, even Edie which was my 100% choice a few weeks back.

I am making a work thing way harder than it needs to be.  I've been putting it off for a week.  I keep toggling back here because I'm so tired.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
  • Options
    Apparently my UO is that I hate the name Francis. Which sucks because that's DH's name, and he's the fourth. I really had to be a witch when it came time to name Ethan. I just couldn't do it.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
  • Options
    I'm really at a loss for what to name this baby.  I want to go super old - his grandma was Florence :D I love Flossie!   DH is stuck on Stephanie or Jennifer.  I'm not really sure what meeting in the middle would be, maybe Rosie?  I'm just not in love with any of the names, even Edie which was my 100% choice a few weeks back.

I am making a work thing way harder than it needs to be.  I've been putting it off for a week.  I keep toggling back here because I'm so tired.
    What about Juniper? Juni. Think that is close enough to Stephanie/Jennifer for him?

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    I like almost every name that a 90 year old could have.  If it's not your style, I can't imagine liking most old man/lady names. 

I slept at the table a few times growing up because we had a clean your plate rule.  I had a texture thing with mushrooms, my brother with raw tomatoes.  Guess what we had twice a week?  They'd make me sleep at the table because I didn't clean my plate, then the next day they'd be on me about my weight.  Makes a lot of sense. 

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
  • Options

hmp1 said:

What about Juniper? Juni. Think that is close enough to Stephanie/Jennifer for him?
    I don't love Juniper.  I LOVE June, call her Junie.  I pretty much love Junie/Juni.  I think it's just as cute to me as Winnie, and it goes with the MN I want to use, Marilyn.

• Options
    @tinyhumantoe, my DH suggested Stephanie, Jessica & Rachel when I was pregnant with Nancy.  Apparently the 8 Stephanies we're friends with (not just aquaintences, actual friends) and the Jessica and Rachel who are close cousins of mine went right out of his mind.  He only suggested names popular in 1981/82/83.  It was ridiculous.

I love Florence.  

Old people in my family were:
    Zora, Audrey, Irene, Rita, Zandra, Helen

My Aunts are Rosalie (Rosie) and Geraldine (Geri) on my Dad's side and my Grandma's name was Coralyn.  And yes, her Mother made that up, back in 1933. :-)

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• Options
    I am not fit for human interaction today. With G or anyone. I'm so cranky. G has been so fresh lately. Yelling no at me and spitting. No clue who this new kid is but I don't like it. 

I cried this morning because my house is full of groceries but not one thing I want to eat. My grocery budget is crazy because I can't plan and feel like I need every option on hand. I'm hungry  most of the day but nothing sounds good. I keep going to bed hungry even though I eat dinner but there is just literally nothing else for me to eat. Or nothing of substance that I know will tide my hunger until morning. 

DH listed our snowmobiles and didn't tell me. Fine whatever. He got an offer of $4k for both of our sleds. His was $7k 5 years ago and mine was $4.5k 4 years ago. WTF? how are they now only work $4k together? It makes me so angry. I know toys are toys and not investments but still. It makes me angry I never got to even use mine. Winter I got it we have no snow accumulation. The next year I was pregnant. Then I had a newborn. Now I'm pregnant again. So it's stupid to hold onto the sleds since we will need ones that hold 2 people until the kids are old enough to have their own. I'm so bitter about this. I feel like I am still mourning the loss of my before kid's life. It wasn't all at once. It was slow. It was the no longer working, no longer having freedom, blah blah blah. And here it is almost 3 years since my BFP with G and I'm still mourning my old life. I wouldn't trade it for the world. It still just makes me sad and bitter about stuff.  I haven't ridden the sled but once in 4 years and I'm crying over selling it! 

I want to get rid of my jeep and get something more comfortable in the same price range...$10k or so. I don't want to take cash out of the bank and I don't want a loan. I don't need anything new either. I tell my husband or my dad or people what I want to look for and no one listens to me. My dad was in total agreement with  me and then he keeps showing me things for like $20k because what can I actually get for $10k? A lot dad. I can get a good reliable vehicle for $10k. My husband just had to upsize everything. Oh you said jeep grand cherokee? What you really meant was a lifted F350, right? So I will probably keep my jeep with the zipper windows and uncomfiness because I am tired of no longer having a voice. 

I'm so over hormones and not feeling human. Having a cold and it's only been a week. 

My pity party for one is over now. Sorry. 

• Options
    @tinyhumantoe, my DH suggested Stephanie, Jessica & Rachel when I was pregnant with Nancy.  Apparently the 8 Stephanies we're friends with (not just aquaintences, actual friends) and the Jessica and Rachel who are close cousins of mine went right out of his mind.  He only suggested names popular in 1981/82/83.  It was ridiculous.

______________STUCK___________________

Same with my DH when I was pregnant with Ryan. He liked Jason the most, and I think he also suggested Justin...while these are not bad names, they just aren't my style.

Little Sprout Blog

• Options
    Anyone know why in the world Kohls ships everything in multiple orders?  For our service project, I ordered 6 sets of sheets, a Dyson & a coffee pot.

THEYRE ALL SEPARATE SHIPMENTS!  Got the vacuum yesterday, the coffee pot should be delivered today, 3 sets of sheets on Friday and then I just got a shipping notice on the last 3 sets of sheets.  Seems like a big waste.

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• Options
    tinyhumantoetinyhumantoe member
    edited December 2014
    Ok, I think the whole thing with the food battle (eta: for me)  is this: 
    1.  I make *something* W will eat with every meal.  Rarely do I cook a 'second' meal or extreme variation for her, but it's happened a couple times when I make spicy stuff. 

2.  I do have a couple of back up supplements that I will whip out if I need to (carrots, broc & cheese microwave singlets).  I will never fill in with fruit, yogurt, or peanut butter sandwiches... just because those are her favorites and she will refuse dinner every night just to get them.

3.  We had one eat-it-or-be-hungry stand off.  It was never my plan to do that repeatedly.  It was my plan to let it happen once or twice to set a precedent (I was willing to feed her the saved dinner plate before bed or in the middle of the night if necessary).  We did this because after a week home with DH, she realized she could throw her plate and get a PB sandwich and raisins.  She learned that was over in two days of our stand-off, so I think it was a good choice for us to do that. 

• Options
    I also feel like I'm losing my identity. Nothing makes me stand out anymore. My boss is a 33lb dictator. I do nothing fun anymore because everything I enjoyed doesn't involve kids. I feel like nothing about me is who I was. Nothing about me is fun anymore. Everything I was is no longer. I'm just a mom/wife/homemaker now. And non of those things are bad. I love that and that's what I want to be but I feel like I'm losing myself. 

I know this is 50% hormones talking and 50% reality. This is my reality. 

Sorry I'm so needy today! 
  • Options
    I also feel like I'm losing my identity. Nothing makes me stand out anymore. My boss is a 33lb dictator. I do nothing fun anymore because everything I enjoyed doesn't involve kids. I feel like nothing about me is who I was. Nothing about me is fun anymore. Everything I was is no longer. I'm just a mom/wife/homemaker now. And non of those things are bad. I love that and that's what I want to be but I feel like I'm losing myself. 

I felt like this right after I had Cal.  I've always been super popular.  In high school, in college, etc.  I'm the fun friend!  Everyone called me to do stuff!  

Now I'm someone's Mom.  It's weird.  I felt like that was the only thing people were noticing anymore.

I felt like before I got pg with Cal that everything was finally balancing out.  We could go out, do all the stuff we did before we had Nanc, had an awesome balance of old life/new life going on. Now it's changed again.  It doesn't bother me anymore.  A lot of my friends have small people, so we're all in similar boats, but sometimes I still miss things about my life pre-kids too.  I think that's totally normal!

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• Options
    melody921 said:
    jenndub said:
    The People article I read said it was Frances not Francis, so I think he did spell it right. 
  • Options

((hugs))  I go through bouts of this, but I feel like my job stripped most everything away before W came along anyway.  The best I felt in the last 3.5 years was actually when W was a couple months old and I got out for a ladies night glass of wine once a week.  I stopped going because my going once a week with them wasn't enough, and they resented/constantly guilted me for declining their 8 million other invitations.  :(

I miss going out and drinking more than anything else.  That's pretty pathetic.  It was so much fun to get myself lookin' good, go out, laugh with friends, get drunk, lounge around the next day. 

• Options

Flossie was my great aunt's nickname!
  • Options
    When you come to work and you're sick, I think you're an inconsiderate jerk.

The chick across the hall from me has the plague and finally got antibiotics yesterday.  They're treating her for bronchitis/upper respiratory infection.

The broad who does our processing is on campus sitting in the lab near me and her and husband both have walking pnemonia and were put on antibiotics this morning.

WTF?!  We work in education.  We're not teachers.  STAY HOME.  Your job isn't that important.
    I wish that's how it worked around here.  I had bronchitis for a month, then a sinus infection.  I missed one day of work.  I'm pretty sure people hated hearing me cough all the time, but while we're really not that important, it's hard to miss too much time.  

That said - I stayed in my infected cube as often as possible, washed my hands a lot and bathed in sanitizer.  I did what I could to keep it from spreading, but staying home wasn't really an option.

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

• Options
    Anyone know why in the world Kohls ships everything in multiple orders?  For our service project, I ordered 6 sets of sheets, a Dyson & a coffee pot.

THEYRE ALL SEPARATE SHIPMENTS!  Got the vacuum yesterday, the coffee pot should be delivered today, 3 sets of sheets on Friday and then I just got a shipping notice on the last 3 sets of sheets.  Seems like a big waste.
    Some items come directly from the vendor.  Somethings, like a dyson, aren't typically shipped with other things because they're shipped in their own box and other things can ship from stores instead of the distribution centers.  I'm nerdy and always read where companies are shipping my stuff from.

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

• Options
    I LOVE PEAS - I snack on frozen peas, and I'll open up a can and just eat them straight out with a spoon.  I love canned beets, too.  That has to be rare.

You guys are lucky that you got peas growing up.  I swear every night it was brussel sprouts or lima beans.  The lima beans my mom cooked were so dry they wicked the water out of your mouth and every cell in your body - I think our lives were at risk.

I LOVE CANNED BEETS TOO! :) I made them fresh for Carter when he was starting solids.

I cringed when I was little and my dad made us always try a bit. I can't get enough now. It's super fun when you pee pink too.... lol

~~~ EDD for Baby #2  6/28/15~~~~

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    kelbel527 said:
    When you come to work and you're sick, I think you're an inconsiderate jerk.

The chick across the hall from me has the plague and finally got antibiotics yesterday.  They're treating her for bronchitis/upper respiratory infection.

The broad who does our processing is on campus sitting in the lab near me and her and husband both have walking pnemonia and were put on antibiotics this morning.

WTF?!  We work in education.  We're not teachers.  STAY HOME.  Your job isn't that important.
    I wish that's how it worked around here.  I had bronchitis for a month, then a sinus infection.  I missed one day of work.  I'm pretty sure people hated hearing me cough all the time, but while we're really not that important, it's hard to miss too much time.  

That said - I stayed in my infected cube as often as possible, washed my hands a lot and bathed in sanitizer.  I did what I could to keep it from spreading, but staying home wasn't really an option.
    We get 18 days of sick time and 10 days of vacation time per year.  Both of these people should/could have stayed home while their antibiotics kicked in.

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• Options
    Thanks guys. I know it's normal and something I need to go through. Just feel yucky.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"