1st Trimester
Options

spotting both brown and red at times/ultrasound.

Hi,

This is my first pregnancy. I thought I was 7 weeks, just had my first ultrasound on Monday. The night before my first appt I started spotting with brown discharge. I went to my first appt the next day and the doc did a full pelvic exam and scheduled me for an ultrasound right away because she said the bleeding was a concern. When I had my ultrasound they saw the sac but there was nothing in it. My uterus was measuring a little big, but the sac was measuring at about 5 weeks. She said I am most likely in the process of miscarrying, but after reading and researching a ton on the internet I have found that this has happened to a lot of other women and they went on to have healthy pregnancies. I am just really concerned because the doctor was quick to just write it off as "probably miscarrying" when I know that there are other reasons why this could be happening. Does anyone have any advice or similar experiences? I am so confused right now...

Re: spotting both brown and red at times/ultrasound.

• Options
    Thank you! Yes my doctor did blood work and I requested to see it and it hasn't come back yet. I have a follow up appt on Tuesday that she said we would do another ultrasound and blood work if I haven't miscarried by then.
  • Options
    Thank you! Yes we were going by my LMP for dating. I am hoping our next ultrasound on Tuesday will show differently and I am hoping that the date is just wrong. I will be getting a second opinion though, because this doctor just seemed in a rush to just write it off as being in the process of miscarrying
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hi, hoping I can put your mind at ease a little.. I was 5 weeks pregnant when I started spotting red blood. I was sent straight to the early pregnancy unit due to a previous ecptopic pregnancy. They carried out a scan and could only see the sac. They thought I was around 5 weeks and said they usually wouldn't expect to see anything else at this point. They took my hcg level that day and were happy with the numbers. I went back a week later for a follow up scan and we even got to see the heartbeat at this point..
    I have my fingers crossed for you
  • Options
    Thank you so much for the positivity Lisa! How far along are you now? My positive pregnancy test was taken on November 16. I am trying to be patient while they wait to receive my blood work results. Do you guys have an idea of what my hcg levels should be around? Thank you guys so much for the support!
  • Options
    I'm around 11 weeks now and go for my next scan next Friday.
    Thankfully had no more bleeding and the doctors couldn't say what caused it. They just said it was one of those things and it's more common than you think,scary as it was at the time. The weeks wait in between the scans was the worst, not knowing what's going to happen...
    When do you get your hcg levels back? X
  • Options
    Thank you Elizabeth and summergirl! I appreciate the well wishes:) Lisa, that's great! congratulations! I am hoping to get them back today. They were taken on Monday and I called yesterday and they still hadn't come back yet. She said they should have them in by this afternoon. Once I know my hcg levels I should have a better idea of what to expect going into my blood work on Tuesday. I'm just praying so hard that there has been progression since Monday and my blood work and u/s will come back on track:) I really appreciate everyone's advice and comments, the scariest part is definitely the wait and not knowing what to expect since this is my first pregnancy.
  • Options
    Ok great! Good to know. I called the doc office and she said that it looked like my results are in so now I am just waiting for the nurse to call me back with those levels. After I have those results my next blood test will be Tuesday so that will give me something to go off of. I obviously have never had to deal with miscarrying before, but shouldn't the symptoms get worse up until miscarriage occurs? Especially if I am already spotting? Things seem to be getting better.
  • Options
    Ok so I have an update. I got my blood test results back and my Hcg levels were at 2525. That level correlates with the ultrasound that was taken at my first appt which indicated that I am only around 5 weeks according to the size of the sac. My doctor told the nurse to tell me "Her levels are only at 2525...I'm still expecting her to miscarry, but if she wants she can take another blood test to have a comparison for her appt on Tuesday"....I don't understand why she is not making the connection that my dates could be off?
  • Options
    Thank you for confirming the feelings I have had about her all along! I agree! I went in this morning and had a second blood test done and will have those results to compare with my first test on Monday with on Tuesday. Tuesday will be my last appt with her regardless of what happens with the rest of this pregnancy though.
  • Options
    Another update...I called for my test results that I took this morning and I was at 5000 hcg. So they have doubled since Monday but the doc still seems to think that I am going to miscarry....unreal
  • Options
    Thank you sunshinelady15! I appreciate the prayers! I am cancelling my appt on Tuesday with her...I don't care to ever talk to her or see her again! I am going to get a new doctor, even if I have to wait a little longer to get in it is so worth it to me at this point! Thank you!
  • Options
    I had the same concerns. I thought I was at 9 weeks then last night started spotting and brown discharge, and kinda freaked out. So we went to the ER and I got blood tests and an ultrasound and they said I was at 6 weeks instead.
    They were concerned I might have been starting to miscarry but my cervix was still closed. At this point all I can do I wait and see what happens. But reading all the stories of women who had the same thing and healthy babies makes me feel better. :)
  • Options

I am praying for you merpancake! I agree that it is comforting hearing everyone else's stories.

I went to the ER last night as well because I had more consistent red bleeding, but it wasn't gushing or anything...just when I wiped. I went to the ER they did an u/s and the sac had grown to 5wks 4 days. My first u/s a week ago was 4wks 5 days. They took more bloodwork since Friday and my blood has doubled again. I went from 2525 on Monday to 5000 on Friday to 11000 yesterday night. The ER doc said that I am kind've a mystery right now and it still just may be too early to tell what's going on. I'm hoping I can get an appt with a different doc sometime this week and we can keep tracking this situation. I am just trying to be as patient as I can and know that only time will tell with this whole thing.  

• Options
    Sending good thoughts your way laurabean22... I'm hoping for the best for you. I'm new here and having spotting/discharge for awhile now actually 4 days before positive test. I have been to ER and a follow up . I started with hcg levels of 2700 . Last Friday I was at 6200 . However the brown/pink discharge hasn't stopped. Today marks 6 weeks for me ...I'm panicing!!!
  • Options
    I understand how you feel as well. I hope the best for you. I have also had many days of red and brown spotting only when I wipe. If it makes you feel better I met my ob at the ER on Monday and everything looked great. I have another ultrasound tomorrow though to follow up.

I'm slowly realizing more women than we know bleed during pregnancy.... and even more than that continue to have a normal pregnancy
    Married the love of my life: 11/12/2009
    1st BFP ever : 11/19/2014
    1/9/2015 our miracle baby was welcomed in heaven.
    BFP #2 : 4/21/2015
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Thank you ladies! I really appreciate the prayers! In case anybody was wanting a little update:

I switched doctors so I don't have to go the crazy psycho anymore! My new doctor is amazing and I am so excited to have a doc that wants to figure this out and has just as much hope as I do! According to what my U/S have been showing today marks 6 weeks for this little one. I am still bleeding and have been since Nov 29...but my blood levels keep increasing so I am definitely hopeful and praying that I am one of those women that bleed during their healthy pregnancy!

I have an U/S next Friday to hopefully see the heartbeat! Doctor said he will really be able to tell how this pregnancy is going to go by then, I'm just hoping and praying that the little one makes their debut during that ultrasound. That would make my year!!!

Praying for all of you mommies that are going through this or have gone through this! This is definitely the hardest thing I have gone through and so emotionally draining, but God never makes mistakes and I am fully trusting and relying on Him through all of this!

Be blessed you all!

• Options
    I am SOOO glad I found this string! I am going through the same thing and am terrified, @laurabean22 (except I started with an amazing doc...I'm so sorry you had such a terrible person!!). This is my first pregnancy and I took my positive test on 12/5. My last period started on 10/31 (happy Halloween to me) so I'm about 5 weeks. I started having bright red show up on my toilet paper on 12/8, then that turned to darker clots and cramping. My doc had me come in that day for blood work and u/s. She was concerned with the thickness of blood and found a cyst, which I can definitely feel. My HCG levels were at 1090 and progest. at 13. I'll get my 2nd test results tomorrow so FX for big HCG increase!! Still bleeding and cramping. Mostly when I have to go big-potty or feel gassy. Thank you for making me feel not-alone in this experience and I will be thinking good thoughts for you, as well!!
    EMP- Baby #1
  • Options
    I am so glad I could help you out a little even though I'm not sure what's really going on myself! All you can do is pray and hope for the best! I started out being insanely anxious, nervous, it's all I thought about and I was super emotional about it, but now I know that I need to just give it time and there is absolutely NOTHING I can do about it at this point. Like I said I have been bleeding since Nov 29 so its been awhile...at least it feels like it's been forever, and my blood tests were increasing. I wont be getting my blood drawn for awhile as my doctor wants things to progress and just take the ultrasound next Friday which should show us something. I am praying for you though and I hope that things turn out great for you! Keep me updated on how things are going and I will definitely update when I have my ultrasound. I too am so glad there is a supportive group of women that I can talk to who have either been through it or are going through it with me:)
  • Options
    I am 7 weeks today. First few weeks I experienced the normal pregnancy symptoms...sore breasts, tired, nausea, etc. Then 2 nights ago I started spotting. No cramping, and the spotting stopped rather quickly. I waited until yesterday and called the nurse triage line at my OB just to make them aware that it happened. A little while after I called, I started spotting again, along with bad cramps. I had to go to the bathroom (#2, sorry) and there was blood in the toilet and then the cramps were even worse. I called the OB again and they had me go into the hospital for an ultrasound. Everything turned out fine, measuring ahead, closer to 8 weeks, and the heartbeat looks good for now. It was so scary not knowing though, I totally sympathize. My OB said that at this point in pregnancy, the uterus is undergoing a lot of construction and it's super sensitive down there because of all of the changes. Keeping you all in my thoughts....it certainly runs havoc on your nerves going through something like this.
  • Options
    My beta came back doubled! Numbers are looking good. I'm looking forward to my u/s next week and hopeful that things keep progressing. Thank you for the prayers! Hope you are feeling well!
    EMP- Baby #1
  • Options
    Hey can someone help me iv been having brown discharge since wednesday but when iv had previous periods they've been this colour. I know you can't have periods during pregnancy. I am so confused and trying to stay positive as this happened in may when I sadly miscarried a few days after having this brown discharge. Ive got a drs appointment Friday 19th but I'm praying the worst doesn't happen. At the time I started having the brown discharge this time I also had morning sickness and come Friday I was having diarrhea (t.m.I) apologies. So far iv had diarrhea once a day :-S. I can leave a pad on all day n it doesn't fill it. But I'm just scared due to what happened last time :-(.

Please could someone give me an answer? Thank you xx
    Sorry if iv repeated myself I'm new to this x
  • Options
    I hope everything turns out good for you when that happened to me a few weeks ago I ended up miscarring and then found out last week that I had epiotic pregnancy and I ruptured my tube and bad internal bleeding. I do hear of many women having some bleeding in their first trimester and have a healthy pregnancy, so everything may be ok and I pray that it is. Good luck.

My TTC Story - warning child mentioned

IVF #1 BFN no remaining eggs for FET
    IVF #2 no eggs to transfer
    Went to a new Clinic
    IVF #3 poor lining had to freeze our three embryos
    FET #1 transferred two 1 didn't thaw well - BFN no remaining egg
    IVF #4 BFN poor lining (we were able to freeze 4 eggs)
    FET #2 BFN poor lining still
    FET #3 BFP unmedicated cycle / beautiful lining and last 2 embies BFP finally - 2010
    IVF #5 32 egg retrieved, 30 mature/ icsi was done
    Day 1 - 25 fertilized
    Day 3 - 25 have Divided
    Day 5 - froze 7 AA quality blasts and transferred 2 AA quality blasts
    Day 6 froze an additional 11 blasts - 7 great quality, 4 fair quality.
    Beta 1 11/16 - 9
    Beta 2 11/18 - 45.5
    Beta 3 11/20 - 174.5, Beta 4 11/25 - 1,347.7

• Options
    hi everyone im also 5 weeks a and im ahving light pink blood and dark brown discharge but only on toilet paper also cramping on and off im worried. is it normal?
  • Options
    Hi all,

I wanted to give an update...it's been a few roller-coaster days since I first started bleeding on the 8th. I am now into my 6th week and I've been bleeding pretty heavily for two weeks now. I had blood work done when it first started and beta levels looked strong. The day before my u/s on Tuesday of this week, I experienced SUPER heavy bleeding and cramping (more than a period) and had back pains so I was convinced I had a miscarriage (and consequently had a breakdown...poor sweet hubby didn't know what to do!). Lo and behold, my little one showed up and we could hear the heartbeat! I had a subchorionic hemorrhage where the placenta implanted, which is not harmful to the baby. I go back on the 30th for another u/s so FX that it goes as well as this week's.

So, I learned that although bleeding is suuuuuper scary, don't lose hope!! Get in to see the doc and try to stay calm. Good luck to all who are experiencing bleeding.

EMP
    EMP- Baby #1
  • Options
    @emanneyprenger wahoo, great news! thanks so much for checking back in with an update. 
  • Options
    That is awesome!
  • Options
    Hey all! I figured I would update everyone now that the holidays and everything has calmed down. I was the one who originally posted this thread:) I went in for my ultrasound and the doctor still found nothing, he said I had a blighted ovum, I ended up miscarrying and the bleeding didn't stop until exactly a week after. I am doing ok emotionally now, but at the time it was definitely the hardest thing I have ever had to do. To all of you women that have experienced miscarrying in the past I am so sorry you had to go through that:( I find hope in the future and my husband and I are going to start trying again as soon as I have two periods. I will continue to pray for you all and I hope that everyone has a safe, healthy, and happy new year! Thank you for all of your support during the short time that I was pregnant, I really do appreciate it so much! Take care you all!
  • Options
    I'm so, so sorry for your loss.  Thoughts and prayers to you.

***Siggy Warning - loss mentioned***

Pregnancy Ticker

*S15 Siggy January Siggy Challenge - Happy Dance*

ME: 32   DH: 38

BFP#1 - 7/18/14; EDD 3/23/14; MMC 8/11/14 (passed naturally on 8/17/14)

BFP#2 - 12/29/14; EDD 9/10/15 *PLEASE BE OUR RAINBOW!*

• Options
    Thank you:)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"