TTC After a Loss

Books on grief/healing

I can't remember who, but someone mentioned getting a book on grief.  Was it helpful?  Did you enjoy it?

Does anyone have any books that have helped in their healing process?

BFP #1 3/2/12, T born 11/7/12
                                                                                             BFP #2  7/2/14, CP 7/6/14
                             BFP #3 8/28/14, MMC 10/2/14 @ 9wks - misoprostol 10/6/14, D&C 11/3/14 for retained tissue
                                   BFP #4 12/25/14, EDD 9/7/15 - please stick baby, you are so loved and wanted!!!!!                                                                                           

image  image                                                                      

Re: Books on grief/healing

• I just read "Grieving Parents: Surviving Loss as a Couple" at the recommendation of my therapist. It was helpful in learning about different styles of grief and how sometimes we invalidate each others feelings because our grieving styles are different. While it brought awareness to these issues, I didn't feel like it gave a lot of practical suggestions or exercises for working through your differences.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
    BFP #1 DS born 10/16/12 at 39w6d
    BFP #2 DD lost 11/17/14 at 17w2d
  • I read Still and Empty Cradle Broken Heart. Both were good. Empty Cradle broken heart was really good for generalizing the emotions I was going through after my 3rd tri loss. still was good on relating my emotions with one specific person and it was good to see how she coped with grief personally rather than a more clinical approach.
    BFP #1 12/19/13 We lost our Fenix 7/31/14 at 36 weeks due to torn umbilical cord
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    My Chart TTA until Feb 2015
    ~*ALL AL WELCOME*~
  • Loading the player...
  • @cavewmn‌ I love your idea of donating books to the library. I am going to have to do that!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
    BFP #1 DS born 10/16/12 at 39w6d
    BFP #2 DD lost 11/17/14 at 17w2d
  • @cavewmn, I think it was you.  I'm sorry the book wasn't that helpful.

BFP #3 8/28/14, MMC 10/2/14 @ 9wks - misoprostol 10/6/14, D&C 11/3/14 for retained tissue
                                       BFP #4 12/25/14, EDD 9/7/15 - please stick baby, you are so loved and wanted!!!!!                                                                                           

image  image                                                                      
  • @cavewmn, if you find a book you really like, let me know.

image  image                                                                      
  • Try "Healing After Loss: Daily Meditations for Working Through Grief" by Martha Whitmore Hickman.  The writing is not specific to pregnancy or infant loss, but it is the most beautiful, well-written little pocket book that calls out and names so many of the various aspects of grief.  It has a daily quote, an expository paragraph or two, and a summary thought.  You can read it straight through...or day by day...when it's hard to string more than a page of thought together.

All my warmest wishes of healing to you.
  • I would like to thank everyone for chiming in and for @wellybug for starting this. I am going to look into a few of these. 

@cavewmn great idea to donate the books to the library afterwards!
    I am not sure how to say this without getting a "solicitation" warning so I guess I just say that I am not longer active on THIS site. 

• @NWmamadoc, thank you for the recommendation.  I just glanced through the first few pages on Amazon and really loved what I read.  I'm adding it to my list of books to get.  Thank you!

image  image                                                                      
  • I just read An Exact Replica of a Figment of My Imagination by Elizabeth McCracken and I can't recommend it highly enough. The author gave birth to a stillborn son. I had a late missed miscarriage (17 weeks) and her words just resonated with me like nothing else I've come across. I truly felt understood and like someone could articulate and explain all the emotions that continue to eat at me 4 months later. It was tough at times because it was so real for me, but hugely cathartic and comforting nonetheless.
  • I just read An Exact Replica of a Figment of My Imagination by Elizabeth McCracken and I can't recommend it highly enough. The author gave birth to a stillborn son. I had a late missed miscarriage (17 weeks) and her words just resonated with me like nothing else I've come across. I truly felt understood and like someone could articulate and explain all the emotions that continue to eat at me 4 months later. It was tough at times because it was so real for me, but hugely cathartic and comforting nonetheless.
    Hi Gummi!

I'm so sorry for your loss ((hugs)) Have you thought about posting a formal intro on TTCAL so that the ladies here can get to know you better?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"