Food Allergy
Options

Possible MPI. What formula is best?

My son is 3 months old & having some symptoms of MPI. He has acid reflux, dark green poop, very gassy (smells awful). He is very squirmy & grunts a lot too. Overall, he has many times where he seems uncomfortable. There are some red spots on his face (hives?). He doesn't eat well especially with the squirming & obvious discomfort & usually only takes about 20-25oz a day, though he is gaining weight. He won't take more than 4 oz. at a time & still wakes up every 3-4 hours at night. He weighs about 13 pounds. Sometimes he coughs while feeding or sounds gurgly. He also will sometimes hum/sigh while exhaling during feedings. He spits up at every burp during feedings & occasionally appears to throw up most of a feeding. I have to burp him constantly. I think his gas is a big contributor to his acid reflux. So I'm wondering if this sounds like MPI or just regular baby troubles. If it is MPI, to what formula is it best to switch him? He is currently FF with Enfamil Gentlease.

Re: Possible MPI. What formula is best?

• Options
    Both of my kids started off on Elecare, but I was able to transition my DS to soy. We used the Earth's Best formula and had really good results (I got it on the subscribe and save on Amazon). GL!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Ditto the samples- our allergist gave us samples of the Elecare to try and see if it worked before placing my LOs on it for the long term. My pedi also supplied us with samples whenever possible b/c Elecare was crazy expensive.
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If soy is not an option, (wasn't for us) we had him on Nutramigen. Enfamil Has paperwork on their website where you can have doctor fill it out and process through your insurance. Some insurances cover it, some don't but given the price, it's worth the try!
    DH: 34 | Me: 35
    DS1 9/24/13
    DX Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Factor V Leiden Mutation, Secondary Infertility
    MFI (SA #1
    Count 11mill, Motility: 18%, Morphology: 1%)
    MFI (SA #2Count 7 mill, Motility: 18%, Morphology: 1%)
    AMH .328 
    | FSH 13.2 
    Oct. 2016: Clomid + TI
    IVF: ER 3/1/17; 5 retrieved, 3 mature & fertilized
    Results: 2 PGS normal embryos
    Planned on August 2017 transfer
    **TW**
    Natural BFP 4/3/17,Expecting baby boy via RCS 12/7/17

• Options
    My DD was gassy, gurgly and grunted a lot - turned out she's sensitive to both milk and soy protein. I BF and supplement with Similac Alimentum. Our pedi gave us Nutramigen samples but DD wasn't fond of it. We then tried Alimentum, which she took more readily.

You should ask dr how long it takes for formula to work it's way completely out of baby's system - I know that dr said it would take 2 weeks after cutting something out of my diet to see effect it had on DD since I'm BF & supplementing. I didn't believe it would really take that long but it took 14days of me being milk & soy free, supplementing with Alimentum, before I noticed an improvement in my DD's gas issues. So it may take some time after you change formula to notice a difference.

Our dr checked the poop in DD diapers for occult (microscopic) blood - an indicator of allergy or sensitivity - to help us identify her sensitivities. I had to push doctor to do this as he kept saying "all babies are gassy." May be worth asking dr to check - it's very easy and quick to do, and can be done from poop in dirty diaper.

As Drice629 said, talk to insurance company as they may cover cost. Ours covered Alimentum but only after dr confirmed that we couldn't use milk or soy-based formulas.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"