Formula Feeding

Refusing the bottle, could it be because of teething?

My LO is almost 8 months old and generally takes between 28-32 ounces per day plus solids 2-3 times per day.  The past 2 days she has been refusing the bottle more than usual and only taking in 19-25 ounces but still eating solids good.  She has not gotten her first tooth yet and the signs of teething seem to be there (lots of drooling, chewing on fingers and irritability).  She does nap and sleep good at night still and is not running a fever.  Just wondering if anyone had a similar issue with refusing the bottle during teething? 
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Refusing the bottle, could it be because of teething?

• DD was working on her 4 top teeth at the same time for over a month.  A few weeks ago she started refusing her bottle almost completely, as well as most food.  We were lucky to get her to drink 16-20 ounces.  At that time, we found that she would drink formula from her straw cup but just cry at the bottle.  After about 5 days, she suddenly started drinking from her bottle again and that is when we noticed that her teeth finally broke through.  So I think it could definitely be from teething.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Today she is doing better and taking the bottle more. I wondered how much less they take when consuming more solids, probably a question for the pedi. Thanks!!
  • Loading the player...
  • @bunannie‌ glad to know I'm not the only one. DD is doing better, it must be a combination of teething and taking more solids. Hope your situation improves soon.
  • We're going through this exact same thing.  He used to eat about 8 ounces 4 times a day and now he'll eat about 4-5 ounces and push the bottle away.  When we try to get him to take it again, he arches his back, purses his lips, and does whatever he can to prove to us that he's done.  We figure it's because he's eating more solids.  We haven't talked to the pedi, but I asked his daycare teacher and she said a lot of babies do that when they start eating more solids.  The only thing I'm wondering about is how much formula he should be getting a day to get what he needs from it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"