Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

*Sensitive/Triggers: Need help dealing with the holidays and a pregnant friend

Hi, I'm Annie.  This is my first post, though I've been here for close to 2 months.  There will be a bunch of triggers here.  I'm already crying again just thinking about what I'm going to write, but I need some insight and to know if I'm just creating a pity party for myself or if I actually have the right to be upset about what happened this Thanksgiving.  I'm posting here and on another site, really looking for advice on how to handle this situation.

A little background:

I would be 10 weeks along with my first if I hadn't miscarried 2 weeks ago today.  We had only told a couple of people we were expecting, close friends with young children who could give us some advice early on, one of them being a friend and coworker of SO (and her husband, of course).  She is pregnant, about a month/month and a half ahead of me, so SO had talked to her quite a bit about pregnancy, asking questions, and told her first when we lost the baby.  He was talking with her about it on an almost daily basis, so she definitely knew everything that was going on while I was pregnant and when I miscarried. 

Fast forward just a bit to the weekend before Thanksgiving (barely a week after I lost the baby).  We had the first Thanksgiving party and she was there.  I wanted to be there because most people didn't know anything and I wanted to try to relax and feel normal again.  I figured seeing friends and being busy at the party would help take my mind off of everything.  SO talked to her ahead of time and asked her to skip baby talk around me.  I don't think this was unreasonable.  She wasn't banned from talking about her pregnancy/baby, just asked if she could avoid doing that in front of me.  I would think most people would avoid doing that out of common courtesy anyway.  I wasn't worried about hearing some baby talk, she is pregnant after all and some of the people at the party hadn't seen her in awhile.  As long as they were in the other room or at least not right on top of me, I felt like I'd be okay. 

So, party is in full swing, most people are in the living room and dining room, I'm in the kitchen cooking (read: I can't leave the room) and this girl and one other are in there with me.  The other one starts asking SO's friend about her pregnancy.  She starts into a whole gush about everything baby: all of her excitement, nursery decor, feeling movements, ultrasounds, etc.  RIGHT NEXT TO ME.  I gave her a few quick looks, like "maybe you could take this into the living room".  I even asked her if she could take a dip into the other room for everyone, giving her the perfect excuse to move the conversation.  She took the dip to the table and came right back into the kitchen to continue the happy baby talk.  Really?!  I ended up having to step outside for a few minutes, sacrificing the brussel sprouts to get a little burnt.  SO finally caught on and mentioned to her on the side that she might want to lay off the baby talk.  She looked completely dumbfounded.  I don't know her terribly well, but she has always seemed like a very sweet person and I don't think she was being malicious at all, but clueless as they come.  Apparently, if she isn't the one who brings up the topic in the first place it's fair game to talk all she wants even after being asked to be sensitive to the situation not even two hours early. 

Sorry this was so long.  I guess it's half rant, half asking for help.  How do I deal with this kind of situation?  Particularly with the holidays in full swing.  I don't want to be a hermit and skip seeing family and friends because a few are pregnant, but I don't think I can do that again anytime soon.  It hurts to see pregnant women and to hear a little bit of baby talk, but I can handle it.  Her full blown gushing talk and showing off her belly were too much and I felt like I was losing my child all over again. 

Re: *Sensitive/Triggers: Need help dealing with the holidays and a pregnant friend

• Options
    Hey there, I would like to say that I am sorry for your loss *hug* 

I hate to say it but triggers are everywhere. Your loss is very new so the triggers are even worse right now. I am not saying you will forget about your lost little one all together but as time goes on it does get easier. 

If there is one thing I learned through all of this is that people don't really think. I don't want to say they are bad people, just that are just a bit clueless, especially if they've never had a MC. I am really wondering why she acted that way if your SO talked to her ahead of time. I can understand a little blip but after you gave her the eye and even asked her to bring the dip into the other room I can't imagine that the conversation with your SO didn't click with her. 

I am not sure of what advice I have to say except the best you can do is let people know if they are upsetting you. Some may not understand but your hurt and your sadness is totally justified. 

I am hoping that the gush talking isn't normal and you won't run into that again. Since you were in the kitchen cooking I can understand why you couldn't get away but in most situations hopefully you will be able to quietly excuse yourself from the room. 

So sorry you had to deal with that. :(
    I am not sure how to say this without getting a "solicitation" warning so I guess I just say that I am not longer active on THIS site. 

• Options
    Nikolie93 - Thank you.  I know it will get better and I'm trying to get back into the normal, busy swing of things to deal and get passed this initial time.  I don't really know what to think about her right now, though.  I can't imagine that she was doing anything intentionally, she really has seemed like a very sweet person.  But, the angry/hurting/pity-party part of me is over-thinking it all.  A week or so before I miscarried, SO mentioned to her that I was already looking into baby gear/supplies, figuring out what we would need vs. want, etc.  My logic was that there is a LOT to do and only so many months to do it in - I was not buying, just figuring it all out.  She told him that was too early and that she didn't even consider herself to be pregnant until she hit the 12 week mark.   At the time, I didn't think anything of it other than that she was being cautious.  Now, I (my angry/hurt/pity-party half) can't help but think that she was trying to throw it in my face like a big "I told you so", particularly with her extremely over the top gushing and making a point to keep the conversation in the kitchen with me.  I'm sure this isn't the case, but it's where my crazy head is at right now.  I'm sure everyone feels like this at some point, like the world is out to get us and all pregnant women are there to flaunt what they have and we lost.  (Yes, I'm well aware of how insane that sounds.)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you, KateLM, and I'm sorry for your losses.  I guess there isn't anything we can do other than give ourselves time and avoid what/who we can in the meantime. 
  • Options
    It doesn't sound insane @AnneK1234. Our minds go to certain places sometimes and this is all so new to you. Give yourself time and if you don't start feeling better soon mentally therapy can do wonders! It sometimes helps to talk to someone that is outside of your situation. 
    I am not sure how to say this without getting a "solicitation" warning so I guess I just say that I am not longer active on THIS site. 

• Options
    I don't suppose we can just vote for an "all pregnant women stay home" day
  • Options
    Leloyd - I hate to skip family/friend events at the holidays, but I think that might have to be the case, for a little while anyway. 
  • Options
    Hey @AnneK1234. I know exactly what you're feeling.  I came onto TheBump tonight because at this point i am desperate for empathy

In my case, at 10 weeks i found out at a doctor's visit that my baby's heart had stopped beating the week prior.  Staring into that ultrasound was the worst moment of my life to date.  I am so sorry for your loss and i understand that nothing, perhaps only time, will take the pain away. Im so sorry, and i'm with you. 

I didn't tell many people, though of course i told my best friend of over 15 years.  She's pregnant herself (about 6-8 weeks ahead from where i would have been) and i was excited at the idea of sharing the experience of pregnancy with her.  

i had to wait one week from the time i found out i miscarried to when I had my D&C and i had nothing but time to observe who was there for me, and who wasn't so supportive, and while my best friend did check in a couple times within that week (twice), i felt abandoned.  In fact she hasnt checked in with me to see how i'm doing since the morning of my D&C (two weeks ago). 
    I HAVE heard from her since via a group text we share with another close friend, and she was telling us about the names she was considering for her baby, and how her sister who is also pregnant is expecting the same gender.  I am happy for their blessings, but i cannot fathom how she cannot understand the gravity of this loss.  Does she truly care, or am i going crazy??  My SO's theory is that people in general only care but so much about others, and that they are intrinsically selfish.  I've always prided myself in having great friends, and BEING a good friend but i'm feeling incredible alone. i feel theyre inconsiderate, oblivious and frankly dont give a crap. and with that, what's the point of even having friends?  i am trying my best to resist becoming jaded... but part of my grieving process is allowing myself to be honest with my emotions, and i am so heartbroken, and disappointed.  I havent spoken with her about this...because i know she's pregnant and i don't want to stress her out.. but I guess thats the difference between her and I.

Sorry for the length of this...it may or may not be coherent. Im an emotional wreck at the moment..and i just needed to get this out in a safe place.

thank you
  • Options
    Thank you so much. I agree and it sucks...but the hugs and understanding truly help. Thank you so very much... I'm so sorry for your loss. Stay strong.

BTW, i just listened to a song named "Carry" by Tori Amos... a beautiful tribute to her own MCs. Worth a listen, for those who haven't already. 
  • Options
    Likeavirgo, I'm so sorry.  It's back to the battle in my head: the calm, collected side of me wants to rationalize the whole thing and assume that not bringing anything up to you was her attempt at trying to keep everything "normal" for you and let you have time.  The emotional side of me knows how you feel and says she's selfish and inconsiderate at best and happy to have all of the attention on her at worst.  The reality is probably somewhere between the two and closer to the "she wants to be normal for you" version with a slip up or two when she gets caught up in her excitement.  This doesn't make dealing with it any easier, but know at the end of the day they do care, they just don't know how to handle the situation properly.  *I must be having a rational morning.  Yesterday I would have told you she was a horrible person who just wants all of the attention on her and to show off her pregnancy because she was pregnant first and thinks hers is more important.  I've decided that the fact that I thought that about her for a second but don't actually believe that's the case means I'm making progress.*
  • Options
    @likeavirgo I am so sorry for your loss *hug*

As for your friend, I think you have every right to be disappointed  but remember, it's hard to know what you would do if you had on someone else's shoes. 

She may feel bad reaching out to you and she may not know what to say or how to act. If I were you I would reach out to her and tell her that you're hurt with the fact that she hasn't reached out and ask her why. I can't imagine that would stress her out too much. Just be ready to have the conversation where you tell her that you can still be happy for her. You are best friends and she may want your support just as you want hers. 

She must be a good person if you're best friends with her so I guess all I am saying is give her the benefit of the doubt and that maybe she doesn't know how to react to the situation. The only way you will ever know though it so reach out to her. 

Good luck! 

• Options
    Hi there, I'm sorry that you had to go through this. I got a little mad for you and a bit aggravated because people can be very clueless and very insensitive. I'm proud of you for handling it the way that you did because knowing me, I probably would have had a huge come apart. However, the sad thing is, is that not matter how bad you are hurting, some people don't care about others emotions. I don't mean that in a mean way by any means but that's something that I had to learn. My boyfriend informed me of his sisters pregnancy a week after my miscarriage. A week! So I'm not looking forward to Christmas at all because I don't want to hear baby talk but will someone end up doing so because they're dumb? Yes. So just no that you're not alone at all!! Hugs to you!
  • Options
    I'm so sorry you're going through this.  I hope Christmas is easy going for all of us and everyone is sensitive to the situation. 
  • Options
    I don't really have any advice because I'm new to this too- but I wanted to say I"m sorry and that sounds like you were in a tough position. I feel guilty about it, but I haven't seen anyone except my husband in two weeks and haven't left the house alone at all...I just need time I guess. 

I don't think there is a way to make this easier, especially with the pain being new and the holidays are upon us. But please try to make some quiet reflective time for yourself and let people know what you need. You sound really nice- I mightve elbowed the lady or told her she needed to leave the kitchen! 
  • Options
    @likeavirgo I am so sorry to hear that. Reading your story made me feel upset for you. Unfortunately, I have realized that unless someone has gone through it, they don't know the extent of the pain and loss. It's something that only us who have m/c will truly feel. Some ppl are just CLUELESS as some have mentioned. I am glad you have found this board as a safe place to express your emotions.

I am like you and would feel extremely hurt and bothered by it. While I do think it's her job to be a good friend and be sympathetic towards you, maybe she is just feeling awkward and doesn't want to upset you? If she is your best friend, I would try writing to her and being honest about your feelings.

I hope you are able to heal from this pain you're feeling :-(
  • Options
    Just wanted to say, I feel your pain! I just wrote a post about this too. It is very had when you feel like it is being thrown in your face. I am proud of you though, because it sounds like for the most part you are handling things really well!! Being able to say I am okay with some baby talk and still being supportive of her it great, however she definitely took it too far. I think some people are just so caught up in their stuff they forget about anyone else, even if it's not their intention. I wish I knew a better way to suggest how to handle it, but I think sometimes it can just plain suck and that's all. Please reach out if you need anything, I am right there with you!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"