1st Trimester
Options

Moving Far Away from Family, Preggo with 1st

Hello all,
I'm just curious if anyone else has ever been in a similar situation. DH is wanting to move out of state, and up until the BFP I was really excited and looking forward to moving. But now I'm starting to think it's a bad idea. We're going to have our first child in July and looking to move in January, we haven't told anyone yet about the pregnancy because then they'd be even more opposed to our moving. This is something he has wanted to do for a long time. He wants to even more now that I'm pregnant and I don't really know that its what I want to do now. Being 1,000 miles away from all our family and friends throughout my entire pregnancy and thru the birth of our child sounds to me now like we'll be setting ourselves up for hard times and stress. I'd like to have our families around while I'm pregnant and especially after the birth. I would like for our family to get a chance to be close to our child, not to mention I know we'll need their help after the birth as most new parents do, right? (Big fat) BUT this is something he has wanted, and I did want, for a long time, as I said. I can't tell him no now can I? Not when we are finally so close to achieving our long time dream of getting out of here? Just fyi, there is no obligating reason why we need to move, I did apply to grad school and was planning to go but I could go to a school closer to our families too. We just both wanted to get out of Houston and live in a place that fits our philosophy and lifestyle a little better and Co Springs seems perfect, or seemed perfect I should say. Anyone else have their first child far away from all your friends and family? How did you cope? Should I tell him I want to stay, when I'm not sure either way really? Should we tell our families before we move so that they at least give us their opinions? I should tell you too, my mom has been wanting me to have a baby for a while now and also has been saying she's going to kidnap me so I can't move, and she doesn't even know I'm pregnant yet! Anyway, help! Advice? Eye openers? Similar experiences? Thanks in advance.

Re: Moving Far Away from Family, Preggo with 1st

• Options
    Lol thanks =)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Many, many people live some distance from family. You'll make new friends, and people can visit. When you and your H talked about moving, did you discuss what it would be like to raise children away from your parents? What did you say? If not, you should have that discussion as soon as possible, but keep an open mind-living 1000 miles away from family is absolutely doable.
  • Options
    We didn't discuss raising children so far away because we weren't sure we could get pregnant, we've been trying for a while now. Also, originally it was just a temporary move, until I finished with my Masters, and still might be I suppose. I will sit down and talk it through with him and give you all an update. I know there are some benefits for living far away too. Especially because he's got a couple crazy siblings. What, if any, benefits do you notice for living so far away? Also, did you live far away with your first? What was it like having visitors come stay while you were adjusting to a new baby? Thanks for the advice too, I'll keep you updated as things develop.
  • Options
    I'm in a similar situation. I already live far away from my family but I have friends and my hubbies family here. We are planning to move to the US in Feb which I am so scared about as it was going to be stressful on our relationship anyway. But with me pregnant with my first, no friends or family support I'm having massive concerns.
  • Options

gabbigeo said:

We didn't discuss raising children so far away because we weren't sure we could get pregnant, we've been trying for a while now. Also, originally it was just a temporary move, until I finished with my Masters, and still might be I suppose. I will sit down and talk it through with him and give you all an update. I know there are some benefits for living far away too. Especially because he's got a couple crazy siblings. What, if any, benefits do you notice for living so far away? Also, did you live far away with your first? What was it like having visitors come stay while you were adjusting to a new baby? Thanks for the advice too, I'll keep you updated as things develop.

What exactly is "trying for a while"? It can take a healthy couple under the age 35 a year, with regular sex sessions, to get pregnant.

Also, you're not done with school yet? How will you do school long distance?

We've been trying for almost 2 years now, so in the grand scheme of things not that long I suppose. He can work remote from anywhere with his job. The school won't be long distance as it's in Colorado, and is why we had originally planned to move there but I could go to a school here in Texas, it would just mean starting the application process over again but that's no big deal.
  • Options

So many factors.

You mention planning on moving, but I didn't see any mention of jobs, housing or looking into daycare costs.  Those are things that might impact your decision.  

January isn't that far away, do you have jobs lined up in Colorado?  Housing?   Are the jobs higher paying commensurate with the COL?  
    He'll keep the same job he has now and work remote. We do have a place lined up, haven't checked out daycare costs but that's not a huge consideration because I'll be staying home until school starts and then he'll be home those two days a week that I'm in class. Also, once I do start working again I'll get discounted childcare as a teacher, at least until I finish with my masters and change careers.
  • Options
    I live far away from family. Half a country away. I love it.

TTC since Sept. 2013
    09/14: New anterior 3cm Fibroid on U/S, no change in size 11/14
    10/14: SA normal
    12/14: next RE appointment - cancelled due to BFP
    BFP on 11/21/14, EDD 08/03/15

• Options
    We live far away from family. 5 hour drive from one side, and opposite side of the country from the other side. We hate it.

We love the area we live in, husband has a great job, we have a house and a few good friends. Since we are limited to move, we try to convince our families to move to us. It would be more fun, cheaper in travel costs, and just better for our happiness if we were close to family.

I did not need family support for pregnancy but it was nice to have my MIL with me for labor and birth. And after baby girl was born I could have managed without family help but it was great to have them anyway. If you are unfortunate enough to end up with PPD or something similar I think having more local support is helpful. People over estimate the ease of finding new friends in a new place that you are close enough with and trust to help you with a new baby.

If you move, find a local moms club. that is a good start to building a new support system.

Good luck.

Isabella & Julian & and now #3!
  • Options
    We live on an entirely separate continent from our families. My mother was with us for the first couple of weeks after DS was born and then my MIL stayed for a while. While I loved having the extra help and greatly appreciated it we would have gotten by if we were alone.

We've thought about moving back to be closer to family but we wouldn't be able to give DS the lifestyle we want for him if we did. I'm a big believer in doing what is best for you and your family, if you have been dreaming of this move then go for it while you are young and healthy. If it doesn't work out you can always go back
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"