January 2015 Moms

What would you do?

I'm in a little situation. I'm a teacher. I know there are several on here and also several other working moms. I'm due Jan. 9th and I have been measuring small, so assuming I will not be induced early. I know that there's a possibility baby will come on her own anytime, but if she doesn't do I go back to work? School starts again on the 5th so I would be going back for just a few days. However as you know, everyday I'm sitting at home I lose later. Would you go back until baby's born or wait it out at home?
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: What would you do?

• I think it would depend on what environment you're in. Do you teach little kids where you're up and down or is it high school where you're maybe not as physical.
    If it's something you think you can handle I would try to work as long as you can. If you're chasing kindergarten kids or you know super super active you might not have the stamina to do so.
    Good luck that's a hard decision
  • Most of the time I'm all for working up until labor, but in the case of teachers and due dates being so close to classes starting back up, I would say just stay home.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I think it depends on a few factors. I teach high school, am due 10 days after you and am not going back after the holidays. My main reason is I want them to hire a permanent replacement so my students will have some continuity leading up to exams...and if I stay until my due date it could be a different supply teacher every day. But I'm also Canadian and get a year off, so I'm not worried about "wasting" days before LO arrives. It's a tough decision...do whatever feels right to you and is in the best interest of your students.
  • MaebbMaebb member
    edited November 2014
    I worked right up until the day I went into labor with DS, and I plan to do the same with this one as long as I'm feeling good. I would probably do that in your situation too. How does it work with your sub - is he/she flexible on a starting date? If they need a fixed date, I might consider staying out on the 5th, but otherwise I would keep working.
  • You're due the 9th, but some docs make you go a week or so before being induced if it's your first, so you could potentially have 2+ weeks from the 5th if you think about it. If you're able to physically, I would go back. It's miserable to sit around waiting on baby and just makes you irritated when each day passes and nothing happens. That's what happened with me and it was maddening! I was a week overdue before induction. I would save your time for when baby is actually here.
  • I am a teacher, too- due later than you (on the 17th), but I definitely plan on going back after break and working up until either I deliver or I just feel physically unable to.  I would much rather take my time after the baby is born.  And it is very possible you will not deliver until after the 9th.  Obviously if you are feeling miserable and physically don't feel like you can work you may prefer to stay home, but I'm all for working up until delivery, if possible.  
  • I'm also a teacher (kindergarten) in canada. I'm not allowed to start my mat leave past my due date. I think I have to start on a Monday actually unles I deliver sooner! I'm not due until the 29th but my plan is to work until the 23rd. I had my second baby 3 days early so hopefully That timing will work. If I were you I wouldn't come back but I have. A year off. In your case I probably would try.
  • The struggle is real!! I am due later in the month, so I do plan to go back for 2 weeks, but with my older daughter, my OB did pull me out a few weeks early due to blood pressure, so I know that's a possibility and I've prepped my principals for it, and I plan to have everything ready for my sub before I leave for Christmas.

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• I would probably work if I felt up to it. My first was 2 weeks late. I would have lost 2 weeks waiting if I had been working and took leave early. Just a thought!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for the tips. I think I'm going to go back until I can't work anymore. I have high school kids so I can sit at my desk and teach if I had to. I'm also a coach, but I know they aren't expecting me to coach four days before my due date. I also can't go to the away game that week. I agree that sitting at home waiting on a baby will drive me crazy. My husband wants me to go as long as I feel good and I think I'm good with that too.
  • I'm in the same situation.  I'm due Jan 1.  Last day of school before break is Dec 23rd.  School starts again Jan 5th.  If baby doesn't come before school starts I really need to go back.  Considering they could allow me to go 2 weeks past my due date that would be between 5-10 sick days I'd have to use since FMLA won't kick in until the baby is actually born.

It's going to suck going back after winter break but I'd rather spend the time at home with baby then alone.

dx:  Unexplained IF
     TTC since May 2011, 1 year trying, and then 3 TI, 2 IUI = BFN
    IVF #1 (May 2013):  Antagonist Protocol: 
    24R, 18M, 15F w/ICSI; 5dt of 2 early blasts, no frosties = BFN
    IVF #2 (August 2013):  Lupron Stop Protocol: 
    28R, 23M, 15F w/ICSI; 5dt of 1 partially hatched blast, 7 frosties = BFP
    EDD 5/23/14, blighted ovum (6w6d), D&C (8w6d)
    FET #1 (April 2014):  transferred 2 5d blasts = BFP
    C.J. born 01/09/15

• I'm due January 10th and we go back the 6th. My plan is to work until my due date or after but have sub plans for that first week back just in case he comes early. 

• amandad715amandad715 member
    edited November 2014
    I teach too and we start back on the 5th. I'm due the 17th but I'll have a RCS the first weekend or following Monday back (either 10th, 11th, or 12th). My plan as of now, depends on my actual surgery date. If my dr sets me for Sat, then I'll teach M-Th giving myself a day to myself at home. But is she doesn't work until Sunday or Monday, I'll go the whole week.
    With DS1 I was paranoid about my water breaking at school and traumatizing my 4th graders. I happened to take a week off before my due date and sat around for the entire week. Bored. It was the last week and a half of school and packing up my classroom for the summer was not going to happen 9m pregnant, and just taking off a few days didn't affect my ML too much since we were heading into summer break. 
    You definitely want to maximize your time at home when the baby is actually here, not before. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• shannjohnstonshannjohnston member
    edited November 2014
    Another Canadian and another high school teacher.

I just put in my paperwork today. I'm due on the 18th and am not going back after the break. I'm hoping by putting in my paperwork 'early', they can hire an LTO so my students can have some consistency going into exams. I'm also doing a ton of prep work so the LTO can just pick up my plans/projects/review work and finish off the semester. I may even do the report card comments but I'll leave them the exam marking ;)
  • I find the differences between the US and Canada really interesting.  As one of the PPs said, we (Canadians) are not allowed to work past our due date, so many of us will face a few weeks off waiting for baby to come.  I also don't know when your semester ends and when exams are, but like @shannjohnston said I think it's important for kids to have continuity in the weeks leading up to finals rather than a slew of different supply teachers who won't be able to help them prepare.
  • Our finals are Dec 18 and 19th. It won't be an issue. They know I'm going to need a long term sub soon but have not hired anyone yet. That's another issue altogether. I'm not sure if I will have certified teacher or someone that has no idea what they're doing. My students are old enough to understand what's happening, but you are right they need consistency. I'm pretty sure I'm going to work until I can't, I will go crazy sitting at home
  • Our break is from December 18th to January 5th. I'm due the 1st but given previous history my doctor thinks this little one will make his/her presence within the next few weeks. I'm hoping to make it to Christmas break. Regardless, I'll work up until the day this one is born.

Have I mentioned that my principal hasn't found a sub for me yet?? He knows I tend to go early so one would think he'd be ready, but nope.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • shannjohnstonshannjohnston member
    edited November 2014
    I had the hiring conversation with my principal - he said he can't post
    for the job opening until he gets the paperwork from HR and I have to put my leave start date in that paperwork. The timing from posting date to hired LTO can take two-three weeks, so I'm hopeful they can give me a name so I can email some lesson plans before January. It's all very union-y.
  • I'm not a teacher but would go back.  I want to work as long as possible.

**Another thought is: for my maternity leave: the only way I am paid is if I have saved up sick leave and vacation.  I learned that they will drain it all even if I don't want them to.  So, since I had a few vacation days built up, I went ahead and scheduled those on my own time prior to baby's arrival since my work will use it anyway.

BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"