January 2015 Moms
Options

Recipes for the turkey carcass?

Please share any tried and true recipes you have for using up the leftover turkey and bones. Even though I only cooked a 5lb breast I'm going to have lots of leftovers.

Re: Recipes for the turkey carcass?

• Options
    i don't really have recipes...i just kind of do these things by the seat of my pants.  turkey salad (like egg salad or chicken salad), turkey noodle soup, turkey and dumplings, turkey and gravy over rice (or biscuits).  turkey sandwiches are always a good standby too.  i'll boil the carcass with an onion, a couple stalks of celery, a large carrot or two, and some herbs to make stock that i freeze to use for soups or cooking rice and quinoa.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    photo gum-chewers.gif
    BFP#1 EDD 04.20.2010, SUNSHINE baby boy born 03.31.2010
    BFP#2 EDD 12.07.2014, natural mc 04.09.2014 at 5w3d
    BFP#3 EDD 01.14.15, RAINBOW baby girl born 01.16.2015

photo quad_zps6309d559.jpg  image   

Lilypie First Birthday tickers  Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    jan'15 january siggy challenge: baby fails
  • Options
    https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/chicken-croquettes-recipe0.html

This recipe comes from a local diner that was featured on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives.

I just use the turkey instead of the chicken.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We really only do two things: leftover turkey sandwiches, and turkey hash with mushroom rice.

• Options
    After pondering further, I'm thinking turkey noodle soup for the freezer sounds good, since the turkey was brined with an herb blend. That flavor may not translate well to other things.
  • Options
    @NatureLovers‌

That's my problem. Our marinade is tasty and delicious, but it has a distinct flavor.
  • Options
    HStrawberryHStrawberry member
    edited November 2014
    We make turkey soup every year. Instead of noodles, I add wild rice and barely with all the classic veggies so it's freezes and defrosts better (no soggy noodle). My DH loves the rice and barley, he says it fills him up more.

Edit: we also do a brine and I've never noticed it effecting the flavor of the soup
  • Options
    Welp, never mind. My hubby didn't realize I wanted to keep it, and threw the carcass away while I was napping. Whomp whomp. I guess we'll just make a lot of sandwiches from the leftover carved meat.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"