April 2015 Moms

Ultrasound getting wrong gender .

Hello everyone,

We have been told it's a girl at 19 weeks. It's our first baby and we are very excited about it!!!

However the technician has asked is to visit again as the baby didn't cooperate well with her and she is only 70% sure.

I wonder how often do they get it wrong.

Please share your opinions and experiences wit it.

Re: Ultrasound getting wrong gender .

• We had 100% positivity of a boy at 16w and 20w. If she wasn't 100% sure girl then I would have another u/s done to verify. I don't think it's common to get it wrong when they are really sure but it happens. Better to have another look before you start purchasing stuff.
  • If the tech asked you to visit again I would do so or find an elective place.

At my A/S the tech said it may be a boy but I would have a girls name just in case. To me that was not enough certainty to tell anyone that I was having a boy. So we did an elective ultrasound 3 days later. Our LO cooperated this time and they were able to tell us that it is a boy.

It is better to get a second and know with more certainty IMO.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you all :) now I am eagerly waiting for the second ultrasound and hope this time baby co-operates. So that I can start buying the cutest things ever. Thanks for your response again.
  • LEMSALEMSA member
    edited November 2014
    Did the tech mention the important stuff? Like does the heart have 4 chambers, the cord and placenta are placed well, does the baby have a well formed skull/arms/legs, a developed spine?

That's the real reason for the US, just FYI. Focus on the health of your child and worry about what's between the legs later. The body 9 organ systems, 200+ bones, yards of intestines, miles of nerves, and countless cells. Quit focusing on just one part of the body. Quite frankly the genitals are the least important part.
  • I wouldn't go buying pink until you get another ultrasound where the tech is more certain. You can pay out of pocket and not have to wait till your next ultrasound.
  • @LEMSA‌ the tech cannot always tell you that information. My A/S was a week ago and I'm still waiting for my doctor to tell me all about my baby's health. It is nerve racking, and with the holiday I won't know till next week. So for now, I just talk about the sex of my baby. It doesn't make me a bad person; I choose too be excited about what I know.

Who knows if OP is in the same boat.
  • It's more common to be told girl and it ends up a boy than vice versa. Although rare. I would prob want another u/s so I could confidently start buying her wardrobe:)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Exactly with all the sales coming up I want to know it as well so that I can plan accordingly.
  • Thanks for understanding.
    Yes from what my Doctor told me rest of the things look good. It's just that they have some doubts on gender.
    I don't really care if it's a boy or girl but want it to be healthy and happy.
    Knowing the gender will help me visualizing her in my life .
  • I agree that health is the most important thing for baby.
    However may be you should not assume that I am a bad person just because I want to know if it's a boy or a girl. As I said we are very happy and excited for our baby as it's our first baby.
    I like to be prepared in life.
    I didn't feel the need to tell everyone about rest of the findings from US as they are all good as as of now I want to start buying my LO wardrobe.
    And I don't want to strictly go for the neutral v
  • *neutral colors.
  • I'm frustrated bc sex was 100% visable but the little sweetie wouldn't let the tech see all 4 chambers of the heart. Babies are just difficult sometimes. I have to go back for a 2nd anatomy scan. If it was the opposite, i would have somply asked my husband to go to an elective place to confirm sex.

I hope that with a second scan you can find out and hope that everything else looked good. I'm over the moon for my girl but I'm still a little worried bc the heart couldn't be seen 100%.
  • souptin said:
    *neutral colors.
    You need to quote people not hit reply- no one has any idea who you are talking to.
    sorry! This was my first post and I was doing multiple things at a time so missed it. will be careful. 

• I'm frustrated bc sex was 100% visable but the little sweetie wouldn't let the tech see all 4 chambers of the heart. Babies are just difficult sometimes. I have to go back for a 2nd anatomy scan. If it was the opposite, i would have somply asked my husband to go to an elective place to confirm sex. I hope that with a second scan you can find out and hope that everything else looked good. I'm over the moon for my girl but I'm still a little worried bc the heart couldn't be seen 100%.
    Good Luck buddy !
    My baby threw a lot of tantrums as well. 

US Tech made me lie down on left then right then again left, right.
    made me cough, drink water, pee,jump.. what not.

I just hope the baby co-operates this time and we come back with a relief that everything is good there and yes of course reveals the gender :P
  • I'm frustrated bc sex was 100% visable but the little sweetie wouldn't let the tech see all 4 chambers of the heart. Babies are just difficult sometimes. I have to go back for a 2nd anatomy scan. If it was the opposite, i would have somply asked my husband to go to an elective place to confirm sex.

I hope that with a second scan you can find out and hope that everything else looked good. I'm over the moon for my girl but I'm still a little worried bc the heart couldn't be seen 100%.

Don't get too worried over it. :-) babies just don't always move the way we want them to. I'm sure your little lady is perfectly fine! Plus- BONUS- another chance to see your little invader! ;-)
  • @rmaurer08‌ yeah, I'm happy i get to see her again, bc she's measuring a week behind again and they also want to make sure she is growing properly. I'm going to do my best to try and really eat a lot bc I've continually lost weight so far. Could be she's just petite like hubby and myself (5'8" and 5', we are not tall). I will feel better in 4 weeks hearing she is 100% healthy. It will be the best xmas gift ever.
  • Mines a little boy! Found out yesterday and already have his name sorted, she said there might be a mistake but I seen his little male parts, he made it quite clear that he's a boy! Proud boy I'm carrying lmao :)! Proud mummy x
  • Mines a little boy! Found out yesterday and already have his name sorted, she said there might be a mistake but I seen his little male parts, he made it quite clear that he's a boy! Proud boy I'm carrying lmao :)! Proud mummy x

So you are more qualified at reading a scan than an ultrasound tech?
  • With my experience of being told I was having a girl then out popped a boy..I would definitely go back for another u/s :)
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • It still happens. My husbands cousin was told girl at her two ultra sounds and out popped a little boy!! This was two years ago.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"