Baby Names
Options

no middle name.

My sister just had my nephew today and decided not to give him a middle name as his dad doesn't have a middle name and his 1st son from a previous relationship doesn't have a middle name either. I was just wondering what you thought about not giving your baby a middle name?

Re: no middle name.

• Options
    The whole generation , in my family , before mine.....have no middle names.
  • Options
    I think it's strange, especially today when so many people have the same first and last names. Seriously, I am a yearbook adviser, and the amount of names you think are not common that I see more than one student have is ridiculous. And when they have no middle name, we have no way to distinguish them from one another.
    TB is dead.

|| [url=http;//www.fertilityfriend.com]Ovulation Chart[/url]
    || <a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Cha
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My brother and I don't have middle names and not once ever in my life did I feel like I was missing out. We gave dd a middle name because it was important to my husband but I really don't think it's a big deal either way.

BFP#1 D&C May 18th 2012 at 9 wks. EDD Dec 17 2012
    BFP#2 CP Sept 17th 2012 at 4.5 wks. EDD May 23 2013
    BFP#3 EDD June 24th 2013 IT'S A GIRL!
    BFP#4 EDD March 2 2015
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I don't think it's odd if no-one in the family has a middle name.  But I do think it's strange if it's the only person in the family not to have a middle name.

One of my friends has no middle name, but her 4 siblings do.  That's odd to me and a bit unfair to her.
    Anniversary
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    I don't see a problem with it unless the name is very common. I'm sure Aidan Smith would want to have something to differentiate him from the rest of the Aidan Smiths of the world.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My mum doesn't have a middle name and it has never bothered her. We are going to give our baby one just because we think it follows great his the first name. 
  • Options
    I don't know anyone without at least one middle name so this is strange to me. If it's normal in the family, I think it's okay. I personally really like having a mn and I always call my DH by his fn/mn affectionately. But everyone is different.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    On my dads side of the family he is the only one who had and gave his kids middle names. All my aunts have no middle names and chose to not give their daughters middles either. That makes 5 generations.

If we have a daughter I am still on the fence. Either Kimberly after my mother or no middle name at all to honor that side of my family as a whole.
    Anniversary
    Love: March 2010  Marriage: July 2013  Debt Free: October 2014  TTC: April 2015
     BFP: April 10, 2016 EDD: December 19, 2016 Team Blue!
    Oscar born November 20, 2016 at 35w6d

• Options
    bromios said:
    I love too many names to have ever contemplated it.

This.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Baby girls in my circle are sometimes not given middle names, with the thinking that when they get married their maiden name becomes their middle name (assuming they take their spouse's LN). So Jane Smith becomes Jane Smith Miller. 
    IVF/ICSI #1 - BFP, DS born Jan 2013
    IVF/ICSI #2 - BFP, DD born Feb 2015
    IVF FET - BFP, due April 2017

• Options
    I don't think it's weird. I have several friends who came from different European countries who don't have middle names because it isn't done where they're from. I wouldn't do it myself because I love the idea of using significant middle names but don't find it weird if someone doesn't have one

Anniversary

• Options
    Thanks you all. My sisters bf is the only person I have ever met that doesn't have a middle name so I was just a little surprised.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"