Toddlers: 24 Months+

Need to vent

So I have a kiddo. She's 2 years old and 8 months old if you want to get all technical.
She eats a lot, which I did. She pees and drinks at an alarming rate. I'm a type 1 diabetic and these are the major signs of being diabetic. So I checked her fasting blood sugar. It was 117. Normal for under 5 years of age is 60 to 100. Prediabetes is 100 to 126. Anything higher than 126 is diabetes.
My DD saw her pediatrician today and we go in for a fasting blood sugar in the morning.
I'm not ready for this.
I had time to process me becoming diabetic because I had insulin resistance bad enough my doctor told me she could bet money on it happening
I got 7 years to process it before I became diabetic. I wasn't even upset when I was told my blood sugar was 256.
However it is heartbreaking to watch my little girl fight because she doesn't understand what's going on. She only knows it hurts.
When I was her age I had a rare bleeding disorder that they thought lead to leukemia, so I was in the oncology ward. I was getting my fingers poked and I would fight because it hurt! I remember fighting!
It traumatized me and I won't even check my own blood sugars by my fingers. I use my forearm.
I would rather she be older so she could understand and not only think we are hurting her.
I will do everything in my power to ensure her health but I'm so scared of tomorrow's test results.
I may be freaking out but I am glad that my bf supports my DD and myself. Its a lot to take on and while DD is not his, he does want to adopt her. He doesn't care that she has a health issues..he still cares about her and wants what is best for her. If he wasn't so supportive...I'm sure I would be even more of a hot mess.

30 - Waiting to TTC#2

PCOS -Fibroids -Type 1 Diabetes

Re: Need to vent

• Just wanted to say sorry you are going through this and I wish your little girl all the best. I have a little girl the same exact age. Good luck and keep us updated (if want) :)
  • @MomToNeeners what is considered an "alarming rate"?  My DD drinks constantly, about 8 oz 45 mins, but only water.  Milk or Juice and she will sip it but move on or beg for water.  I just thought it was a preference but is that what you mean.  What is the point that creates concern?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • She hasn't had a blood sugar outside of normal range so far. I did talk to a pediatric endocrinologist so I know what to do for her. We are doing random fasting blood sugars and we only do post meal blood sugars if she has a big meal. Also I have to make sure she has protein in every meal. The endo is concerned with how high her fasting blood sugar has gotten, so we test.
    Excessive is drinking cup after cup by gulping and just sucking it down. My DD was drinking enough for more than an adult. Right now my DD is doing better but with prediabetes there are times when everything is normal and times when its way off.
    Your kiddo sounds fine. I asked my DD's ped previously and she said some of its normal.

30 - Waiting to TTC#2

PCOS -Fibroids -Type 1 Diabetes

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"