April 2014 Moms

History buffs?

hubs loves civil war, WWII type stuff

Any gift ideas? I don't even know where to begin looking.

Our jeweler has this Lincoln picture he likes but short of going to the store and asking to buy it, I'm not sure whT else is even feasible.

I usuAlly like to get him Giants or Yankees memorabilia. I also got him this Larry bird thing once- so I can fall back on sports stuff if necessary but thought I'd throw out some feelers here on this history stuff.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: History buffs?

• I got my husband a WWII propaganda poster one year from the WWII museum in New Orleans which he loved. They have an o line store where I'm sure you could find something really cool.

https://store.nationalww2museum.org/

This is the one I got. There is a lot to look through. Hope it helps!!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• My husband is a history teacher and absolutely loves the same history yours does. I'll ask him to see what something he would like would be. My husband loves reading. Does yours? He might be able to recommend some books.
    February Siggy Challenge: Favorite TV couple ~ Jim & Pam <3

Edolie Mae ~ April 21, 2014 <3
  • Loading the player...
  • My husband loves WWII stuff as well. He likes the History channel documentaries. Sometimes you can find them on DVD. He liked the "Band of Brothers" mini-series. He also likes coffee table type books. My DH is specifically into the ones with pictures of planes ;)

IVF #1 Sep '11 - canceled poor response

IVF #2 Nov '11  8R/8M/4F 3dt x2 - chemical

IVF #3 April '12  11R/6M/4F 3dt x2 - m/c

FET #1 Aug 2012  3dt x2 - BFN

**new RE**

IVF #4 Jan '13 BFN 11R/6M/6F 5dt x2 - BFN

IVF #5 July '13 16R/10M/10F 5dt x2 + 1 frostie

9dp5dt Beta 1 = 344!! 16dp5dt. Beta 2 = 4822 7wk u/s= 2 heartbeats!

Twin girls! 3/6/14

• My husband is a history teacher and absolutely loves the same history yours does. I'll ask him to see what something he would like would be. My husband loves reading. Does yours? He might be able to recommend some books.

Oddly enough hubs doesn't read. Ever. He is big into the old documenteries and specials on TV

• Are you in an area where any battles were fought? Our towns visitor center has a gift shop and you can buy bullets and buttons and other things found at our local battle sites. They are in nice cases and pretty neat!

Good point! Gettysburg is close to us. We live in DC suburbs.

• edoliesmomedoliesmom member
    edited November 2014
    He recommended looking at online antique stores for military memorabilia, like soldier uniforms, helmets, badges/medals, etc.

ETA: He also suggested the graphic novel Maus. It's about the Holocaust and won the Pulitzer.
    February Siggy Challenge: Favorite TV couple ~ Jim & Pam <3

Edolie Mae ~ April 21, 2014 <3
  • Ok awesome I'll do that!

• I know it's not for everyone but the show/box set of Drunk History is hilarious, I'm getting it for SO for Christmas.
  • Pilots in WWII had maps printed on the silk lining of their jackets. There was a company selling leather bomber jacket replicas a few years back, I can't remember the name of the company however.
  • Band of brothers is a great suggestions. The history channel has a collection called "the great escapes of WWII". What about war movies - "the great escape" or "the longest day" or "Kelly's heros"
    ~ Leah, Rachel and Gabriel were born on May 27, 2013 (23 weeks) ~ Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • mamrotu73 said:

Pilots in WWII had maps printed on the silk lining of their jackets. There was a company selling leather bomber jacket replicas a few years back, I can't remember the name of the company however.

Pop's will sew a blood chit in on the silk lining. A blood chit is like and IOU from the government. If you got shot down and needed help from a local, you give them a corner of your blood chit (which has a unique number that matches your original) and they will be compensated for their help. The main body explains that in multiple languages.
    They might also sew in maps. I never asked about that or looked.
    I see you and I had almost the same thought. I didn't read the other responses before I answered. The one I'm thinking of was a catalogue my dad gets, I just can't remember the name of it.
  • Is he also interested in strategy board games at all? I'm going to get DH this I think: https://www.amazon.com/Academy-Games-AYG-5375-1775/dp/B00F3CT6YG

We played the War of 1812 game (called Invasion of Canada) and he really liked it so I think I'm going to get him this one. There are a lot of other games in the same realm too, if the Revolutionary War isn't his thing.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Started dating February 6, 2012
    Married June 28, 2013
    BFP August 9, 2013
    Had our first baby, Samuel Robert, on April 17, 2014!

• @hordol THanks!  That will be under our tree this year!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I found this which I think is pretty cool:

https://www.nytstore.com/Civil-War-Army-of-the-Potomac-Printed-Orders-1861-1863_p_7182.html?utm_source=shopping-engines&utm_medium=google&utm_campaign=Collectibles_Rarities&utm_term=7182_Civil-War-Army-of-the-Potomac-Printed-Orders-1861-1863&gclid=CjwKEAiA4_WjBRCNgf7A_KeE9jwSJADtegYd0ECp2nCrmfdEscQARaPYe88gHu5cNFmnu_BT_qmOnhoCq_zw_wcB

and I also saw that some place sells newspapers from the civil war era that would be cool. I know he wants something that is from the time period, not necessarily a replica.

I like that the above comes with a cert of authenticenty

• Fyi Band of Brothers is at Costco for $20 and there are several other historical /war genre dvd sets too. I think Im going to get one for DH

IVF #1 Sep '11 - canceled poor response

IVF #2 Nov '11  8R/8M/4F 3dt x2 - chemical

IVF #3 April '12  11R/6M/4F 3dt x2 - m/c

FET #1 Aug 2012  3dt x2 - BFN

**new RE**

IVF #4 Jan '13 BFN 11R/6M/6F 5dt x2 - BFN

IVF #5 July '13 16R/10M/10F 5dt x2 + 1 frostie

9dp5dt Beta 1 = 344!! 16dp5dt. Beta 2 = 4822 7wk u/s= 2 heartbeats!

Twin girls! 3/6/14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"