February 2015 Moms
Options

Is anyone else going for a 3rd tri/BPP ultrasound?

Sooo, I'm measuring 3 weeks ahead and my OB decided that I should go for a 3rd tri ultrasound just to be safe. Yaaa, for getting another look at the little one, but I don't know what this BPP ultrasound is all about. A biophysical profile according to Dr. Google, which may include a NST. Is anything else having this done?
BabyFetus Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Is anyone else going for a 3rd tri/BPP ultrasound?

• Options
    I have to have the ultrasounds & BPP weekly starting on Dec 9th & NST 2X a week starting Dec 11th. My baby is also measuring 3 weeks ahead. I think it's mostly just to make sure baby is doing ok. I am nervous too, but I trust my medical team. The extra monitoring will help make sure he gets here safely
  • Options
    I'm ok with the ultrasound part; it's just the nst part that concerns me. I didn't have one with my last pregnancy. I'm sure it will be fine?
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had to have one every week during third tri with DS, with twice weekly NST. The BPP ultrasound is very quick; they just check the fluid levels and make sure baby is moving and "breathing" ok. My tech printed a picture for me every week, which was cute but they all look the same and I feel bad throwing them away so now they are stuffed in the front of a photo album.

NSTs are awesome. You lay in a recliner with a band around your belly. It monitors your baby's heartbeat for 20 minutes. They will tell you if you had a contraction, which was always exciting to me as a FTM, and can see how the baby responded during it. It is basically 20 minutes of calm and quiet, listening to the rhythmic thumping of your LO's heart, and playing on your phone. It was a nice, relaxing break in my day.

IVF/ICSI #1 - BFP, DS born Jan 2013
    IVF/ICSI #2 - BFP, DD born Feb 2015
    IVF FET - BFP, due April 2017

• Options
    My OB always does a 28 week ultrasound to see if baby is breach and to measure cervix length. He also will take a quick look and make sure nothing stands out as alarming.
  • Options
    I've got another ultrasound at 33 Weeks since they felt she was a little on the small side and wanted to monitor her growth. I haven't heard of the BPP though.
  • Options
    My OB didn't seem especially worried and my blood pressure, sugar, etc are all fine. It's just that my fundal height is gigantic apparently. I guess we'll see.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    I just had another ultrasound yesterday at 28 wks as a follow-up to my anatomy scan to re-check some measurements and "incidental findings". Going back in 2 weeks for another one. My provider hasn't mentioned a NST yet, but as the PP said I've heard it's no big deal and actually kind of relaxing to sit and listen to baby. Good luck!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    My weekly BPP's start next week since I am measuring 2 weeks behind. There are 5 areas the BPP measures: baby breathing, flexion of hands and feet, kicking/movement, heart rate, and blood flow. This test is used to measure the distress level of the baby. If there is an increased distress, it would give reason for baby to be delivered earlier than anticipated.
  • Options
    chicagojackiechicagojackie member
    edited November 2014

@digwriter NST just stands for non-stress test. It's where they put the belts on your belly to make a tracing of your baby's heartbeat and if you have any contractions. They give your strip a category, I-III depending on what it says. Basically they decide if it is reassuring or non-reassuring for fetal well-being.

The next level of fetal surveillance is the BPP or Biophysical profile. This is a fancy ultrasound where the baby is judged on the following characteristics: tone, movement, "breathing", amniotic fluid volume and results of NST. Each category is worth 2 points.

What is the point of the BPP you ask? WELL! Seventy to 90 percent of late fetal deaths display evidence of chronic or acute and chronic compromise prior to demise. Scoring poorly can also indicate fetal acid-base issues "acidemia" which is also correlated with decreased intrauterine survival.

So if your kid starts to score poorly on a serial NST followed by a BPP (usually every week, every other week or monthly depending on the indication), they deliver your baby.

ETA: Sounds like they are just trying to get additional data on you because of discordant fundal measurements. This happens all the time. Some people's fundal heights are either "too big" or "too small" and this in and of it self does not a diagnosis or a problem make. :)

BFP #1: It's a GIRL! DD born October, 2012
    BFP #2: m/c at 7w, February, 2014
    BFP #3: It's a BOY! Please be our rainbow! Due February, 2015

*everyone always welcome*
    image    image   image
  • Options
    I have a 3rd trimester u/s scheduled at 32 weeks.  But this is because of my super special AMA status:)  The only thing I was told was that it was similar to the 20 week anatomy scan.  I tried to get out of it because I have a hard time finding daytime babysitters but apparently it is a must.  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    chicagojackiechicagojackie member
    edited November 2014

@ems0523 heart rate and blood flow are NOT part of the scoring for BPP. Also incorrect in your post is something about "distress." The BPP does not measure "distress." The presence of the 5 cardinal biophysical variables implies absence of significant central nervous system hypoxemia/acidemia at the time of testing.

NST's measure heart rate and heart rate changes and that is a subcomponent of the BPP but heart rate as measured by ultrasound is NOT a standard for BPP. The composite score of the NST is used in the BPP.

image    image   image
  • Options
    Thanks @chicagojackie. My Dr said based on the scoring g of the BPP it would show fetal distress and the need to deliver early if necessary - sorry for the misinformation - maybe he was simplifying it for me :)
  • Options

@ems0523 I hate it when they do that! ;)

image    image   image
  • Options
    I have to have an ultrasound every 6 weeks due to low PAPP-A. It's nice to see my LO progress!
  • Options
    @cookinggirl15 and @digwriter I also have low PAPP-A and have growth ultrasounds and BPP every four weeks.

I think they just follow you closely if there is any little thing that's out of the ordinary, it's not necessarily a problem. I am trying to look at it as a source of peace of mind--the advantage is that if anything does happen to be unusual or problematic, they will find it and take care of it.
  • Options
    1/week till I'm 32 weeks... Then 2/week...

But I have preterm labor... And just found out yesterday Gestational diabetes :(

• Options
    I'm also AMA, so my OB is probably just taking extra precautions.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options

1/week till I'm 32 weeks... Then 2/week...

But I have preterm labor... And just found out yesterday Gestational diabetes :(

What do you mean...you have gone into labor and had it arrested already this pregnancy, or that you have had a preemie in that past? Sorry about the bad gd news yesterday.
    BabyFruit Ticker    image

F15 December Siggy Challenge:
    Holiday Decorations Fail
  • Options
    MFM is watching me close after the increased NT measurement at 12wks. Now they are on me for decreased amniotic fluid. If fluid is still lower than 8 next week they will also do a NST. I also have another growth check in 3 wks.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I'm having contractions and am on meds to stop what they call my "preterm labor"...I'm a FTM. My cervix is shortening... And I have contractions everyday. Positive FFN. Perinatoligist is aiming to get me past 32 weeks :)
  • Options
    @daisydotsgirl1‌ I'm having contractions also. Did they give you procardia? Is it helping you have less?

****siggy warning****

Me 29/ DH 28
    DH- MFI (low count, 2-3% morph)

IUI #1 January - Clomid, Ovidrel: BFN
    IUI #2 February - Letrozole, Follistim, Ovidrel: BFP 1st beta-25, 2nd beta-56, 3rd beta-45, miscarriage
    IUI #3 April - CD3 U/S 4-10. Letrozole, Follistim, Ovidrel CD11 - Cancelled.. TI w/5 follicles-BFN
    IUI #3.1 May - CD3 U/S 5-6, Follistim start 5-11 thru 5-17, u/s 5-18 3 mature w/ a close 4th, IUI 5-20 - BFP!
                 Beta #1 12dpo - 164 & progesterone - 89!, Beta #2 16 dpo - 1189, 5w3d - u/s shows TWINS!
                 6/19- u/s showed heartbeats! Baby A 111 & Baby B 118, both measuring 6w1d
                 7/3- Baby A hb 170, Baby B hb 166 - both measuring perfect.
                 7/18 - Baby A 165, Baby B 171 - both measuring right on track & moving all around!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Yes I got Procardia... It helps but they never really go away. Towards the end of my med cycle I will have one contraction every 5 min... I've also had tributaline (sp?) That was great... Stopped them completely but from my understanding they can only give it to you so many times. And only in the hospital.

Did they do an FFN? @MissEm15‌
  • Options

I go in on Dec 15th so that would make me around 32 or 33 weeks. Getting another u/s because the hands were clenched in the last scan and that is a marker for downs. We refused all genetic testing. Didn't share this potential "news" with anyone other than bumpies.

DD did the fists thing. She does not have T21, fwiw. We didn't do genetic tests with her or with this pregnancy. GL for a great repeat scan and a baby that just likes to give mama the rock :)

image    image   image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"