Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Headaches - Help?

As I'm sitting here with yet another headache (I get them nearly daily for the last several years) it made me wonder, what do you guys do when you get a headache? What triggers your headaches (if you know)? What helps? Have any of you tried acupuncture to help with headaches/migraines? I'm really tempted to try it now that I'm in a place where acupuncture is actually a thing.

Anyways, Excedrin works pretty well for me, but only for a short while and if I use it too often it just makes it worse. So I try to only use it when I have to go do something. I have an appt with my PCP next week, hopefully she'll try something new. Otherwise I see my neurologist sometime middle/end of next month.

Son: Jackson, 11/02/06, stillborn due to PPROM and IUGR. Over the next ten years we had 9 miscarriages from 8-14 weeks. On May 18, 2016 my daughter, Ridley, was born. We're OADNBC.

Re: Headaches - Help?

• Options
    I thought I had migraines and sinus headaches for years, but I finally went to a neurologist who diagnosed me with TMJ.  It was my jaw that was causing my headaches all along.  He prescribed me medicine to take daily, and I rarely get them now.  Maybe you can visit a neurologist as well to see if you have something undiagnosed? I feel your pain, though! Hopefully you can get something figured out.
    Married 10/4/2014 (10-4, good buddy!)
    Baby Boy #1 born 1/9/17
    Baby Boy #2 EDD 11/4/18
    "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.  You rarely win, but sometimes you do."  -Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

• Options
    Eeek! Nevermind... I see that you go to a neurologist. I don't have any suggestions, then. Haha. I've heard good things about acupuncture, though!
    Baby Boy #1 born 1/9/17
    Baby Boy #2 EDD 11/4/18
    "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.  You rarely win, but sometimes you do."  -Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hi @KingLED . Sorry to hear about your daily headaches. Ouch, I can't imagine how awful that must be!

When I get them it is usually 1 of 3 things, 1. Not drinking enough water, 2. Coffee withdrawal, 3. Seasonal allergies/sinus pressure related. The first 2 are easy solutions. The third not so much since I don't like taking too much medicine either. When it gets bad enough, I cave had take Excedrin or allergy meds.

I hope you feel better soon!
    August '15 BMB  December Siggy: Christmas Fails
    BabyFruit Ticker
    ME: 30, DH: 30
    Love: 2/11/04  Marriage: 5/29/11

2 Cat Furbabies: Chloe and Zoey (2007)
    TTC #1: 6/1/14
    BFP: 11/25/14  EDD: 8/5/15

• Options
    Eeek! Nevermind... I see that you go to a neurologist. I don't have any suggestions, then. Haha. I've heard good things about acupuncture, though!
    yeah. Since moving I haven't seen a new one yet, but my old one was no help. Well, not no help, but the things we tried didn't work and he pretty much gave up on it saying it was a symptom of something else and I would have to talk to my other doctors. Which could be true, but still very frustrating. 
    Son: Jackson, 11/02/06, stillborn due to PPROM and IUGR. Over the next ten years we had 9 miscarriages from 8-14 weeks. On May 18, 2016 my daughter, Ridley, was born. We're OADNBC.
  • Options
    KingLED said:
    yeah. Since moving I haven't seen a new one yet, but my old one was no help. Well, not no help, but the things we tried didn't work and he pretty much gave up on it saying it was a symptom of something else and I would have to talk to my other doctors. Which could be true, but still very frustrating. 
    That is frustrating! Hopefully this new one will help.  Is It just your head that hurts, or is it around your eyes too? Did your old neurologist prescribe you anything at all?
    Baby Boy #1 born 1/9/17
    Baby Boy #2 EDD 11/4/18

• Options
    I don't get full on migraines, but close.  The only thing that kept me completely headache free for a length of time was doing a Whole30.  Sugar and food additives are definitely a big trigger for me.  As well as not drinking enough water and stress.  Not sure that any of that would help you, but thought I'd try!
  • Options
    KingLED said:
    That is frustrating! Hopefully this new one will help.  Is It just your head that hurts, or is it around your eyes too? Did your old neurologist prescribe you anything at all?
    We tried several meds, Topomax and Neurontin are the two that I remember, but I know there were a couple others. I took Zomig as needed for migraines, but the headaches are different. I get occasional eye pain with the migraines, but mostly just lots of vomiting. With the headaches it's just general throbbing all over. Muscle relaxers don't help and it's not TMJ (or at least it wasn't as of 2 years ago). 

• Options
    This will sound odd but, have you tried peppermint oil?  Before I had my wisdom teeth out I was getting migraine strength headaches - like, fetal position in the dark and throwing up if I moved - and I found that peppermint on my pressure points actually helped to lessen the agony.  I still use it when I feel one coming on. I don't know if they still have it but Bath & Body Works used to have a roller ball applicator for their aromatherapy and one is actually labeled 'headache'.  It's worth a shot when all else fails.

Hope you find relief soon!

What Are Your Thoughts on Tap Dancing Penguins?

• Options
    I get horrible headaches (Advil is my go to...until I started TTC) and migraines (though I get the aura only migraines usually, so I lose my vision but don't usually get a painful headache with them, weird).
    My doc put me on beta blockers, and magnesium supplements and the migraines largely went away. Not sure either works for normal headaches tho! I have learned my triggers tho, too...flashes of bright light, caffeine withdrawal and being very hungry all do it for me...
    Hope you get some relief! I'd love to hear if acupuncture works for folks, I'm tempted to try it.
    36, DH 31 TTC #1 since we got married, July 2014. http://FertilityFriend.com/home/522fa4/
  • Options
    This will sound odd but, have you tried peppermint oil?  Before I had my wisdom teeth out I was getting migraine strength headaches - like, fetal position in the dark and throwing up if I moved - and I found that peppermint on my pressure points actually helped to lessen the agony.  I still use it when I feel one coming on. I don't know if they still have it but Bath & Body Works used to have a roller ball applicator for their aromatherapy and one is actually labeled 'headache'.  It's worth a shot when all else fails.

I have! I tried it when I was pregnant once and it worked pretty well at taking the edge off. I practically live off peppermint tea since then. I'll have to check in to the roller ball applicator.  That would make things so much easier!
  • Options
    ugh Headaches have been my life.

Acetaminophen is absolutely useless on me for headaches after overuse for so many years, but I keep it on hand to alternate with Ibuprofen during a migraine. 

Naproxen only recently got approved in my Province so I haven't taken it yet, but I plan to pick some up, as I am worried about ibuprofen losing its potency and its long term effects on my kidneys.

Triggers include barometer changes, tyramine (think red wine, dark chocolate, soya sauce), pms, dehydration, stress and tension, my body being an asshole... 

My doc recommended acupuncture... but I am a wee bit needle phobic. 
    I've never heard of tyramine before. From the quick google search I'm definitely going to look in to that, thanks!
  • Options
    KingLED said:
    KingLED said:
    We tried several meds, Topomax and Neurontin are the two that I remember, but I know there were a couple others. I took Zomig as needed for migraines, but the headaches are different. I get occasional eye pain with the migraines, but mostly just lots of vomiting. With the headaches it's just general throbbing all over. Muscle relaxers don't help and it's not TMJ (or at least it wasn't as of 2 years ago). 

Do you grind your teeth at all? Clench your jaw a lot? My old neurologist also told me to strictly take Aleve if I feel a headache coming on, and that's all I take now. Maybe try to switch Excedrin up with Aleve? But yours sound much more severe than something that just Aleve can fix.  I am stumped.  Maybe something holistic is the way to go. .  Or hopefully this new neurologist can figure something out and bring you some relief.  Please keep me posted... I would love to hear what they have to say. 
    Baby Boy #1 born 1/9/17
    Baby Boy #2 EDD 11/4/18

• Options
    KingLED said:
    x

Do you grind your teeth at all? Clench your jaw a lot? My old neurologist also told me to strictly take Aleve if I feel a headache coming on, and that's all I take now. Maybe try to switch Excedrin up with Aleve? But yours sound much more severe than something that just Aleve can fix.  I am stumped.  Maybe something holistic is the way to go. .  Or hopefully this new neurologist can figure something out and bring you some relief.  Please keep me posted... I would love to hear what they have to say. 
    I don't grind my teeth or clench my jaw. I take Etodolac daily (instead of Aleve) for arthritis, but it doesn't seem to affect my headaches one way or the other. I'll keep you posted if I find anything that works!
  • Options
    KingLED said:

I have! I tried it when I was pregnant once and it worked pretty well at taking the edge off. I practically live off peppermint tea since then. I'll have to check in to the roller ball applicator.  That would make things so much easier!
    I just looked and B&BW doesn't seem to carry it anymore.  I did a quick Google and found this and this. There is also a Pin to make your own

What Are Your Thoughts on Tap Dancing Penguins?

• Options
    mandy522mandy522 member
    edited November 2014

I know evidence about acupuncture is anecdotal, but I love it. If you can find someone who can do it and it doesn’t cost an arm and a leg, I would give it a shot. I feel better all around when I’m seeing my practitioner. I have fewer headaches, so much less sinus congestion, and I sleep better. If you have an underlying neurological issue or other serious condition that is causing them, it probably won’t help. But it can’t hurt.

January Siggy Challenge: Happy Dance

BabyFruit Ticker

BFP #1: 10-25-11, MC: 11-1-11 @ 5w5d
     BFP#2: 12-29-11, DS born September 2012
    TFAS: July 2014, BFP#3: 12-29-14
    , EDD 9-9-15

• Options
    ajetter said:
    I don't get full on migraines, but close.  The only thing that kept me completely headache free for a length of time was doing a Whole30.  Sugar and food additives are definitely a big trigger for me.  As well as not drinking enough water and stress.  Not sure that any of that would help you, but thought I'd try!
    I was about to say the same thing!  Doing a Whole30 rid me of headaches and migraines.  I wasn't getting them every day, but pretty frequently.  I found the nutrition piece really helped.  I've also heard of acupuncture working for others.  
    Me: 33
    Him: 35
    Together since 2005, Married: 10/8/11
    TTC #1:  August 2014

• Options
    When I get a regular headache, it's from dehydration or wearing my hair in a ponytail for too long. Weird, I know. I just take ibuprofen. My migraines can be triggered by being exposed to wet paint for an extended amount of time sometimes just randomly. Imitrex is my lifesaver. I'm glad you're going to your doc. I'm sure there's a solution. I can't imagine going through that all the time. Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Little O- 2/25/12
    BFP 2/28/14 MMC 14W2D D&C 5/07/14

• Options
    KatzKiss said:
    When I get a regular headache, it's from dehydration or wearing my hair in a ponytail for too long. Weird, I know. I just take ibuprofen. My migraines can be triggered by being exposed to wet paint for an extended amount of time sometimes just randomly. Imitrex is my lifesaver. I'm glad you're going to your doc. I'm sure there's a solution. I can't imagine going through that all the time. Good luck!
    When I got my hair cut in the spring (I cut off 20+ inches) my headache immediately went away for like an hour. It was amazing. They used to be a lot worse when I would wear my hair up all the time, so I can totally understand that.
  • Options
    KatzKiss said:
    When I get a regular headache, it's from dehydration or wearing my hair in a ponytail for too long.
    I definitely get headaches from wearing my hair in a ponytail too long as well!
  • Options
    lvlyldybmplvlyldybmp member
    edited November 2014
    I get random migraines, have for a long time, but recently I think they're related to eye strain.
    I've been playing a lot more video games with my DH and reading like a freak... whenever I do these two things a lot during the day there's an immediate connection to a migraine.
    It couldn't hurt to get your eyes checked or see a neurologist.
    For pain I double up on Ibuprofen and Tylenol, my nurse BIL ok'd this, and I turn off the lights *cue Teddy Pendergrass song* and lie down.

• Options
    I get random migraines, have for a long time, but recently I think they're related to eye strain.
    I've been playing a lot more video games with my DH and reading like a freak... whenever I do these two things a lot during the day there's an immediate connection to a migraine.
    It couldn't hurt to get your eyes checked or see a neurologist.
    For pain I double up on Ibuprofen and Tylenol, my nurse BIL ok'd this, and I turn off the lights *cue Teddy Pendergrass song* and lie down.

It better not be my eyes, that's all I've got going for me! I'm the only one of my brothers and sisters (except my adopted brother) that isn't blind without glasses. I got the short end of the stick on everything else, but at least I got good eyes! lol

But in all honesty I probably should get my eyes checked. I haven't had them checked since I was in elementary school. 
  • Options
    I can't help any more than pp but wanted to say I hope it gets sorted soon Hun.

I suffered with migraines when I was a teenager. My triggers were strobe lighting and dairy. I seem to have grown out of them though thankfully.

Me 31, DH 29, DD 5
    TTC #2 since August 2014

• Options
    I get tension headaches. For a long time I didn't know what it was and once ended up in the hospital because they thought it was something more serious. Sometimes it gets so bad that I have blurred vision and vomiting. The muscles in my neck, head, and upper back get so tense from stress. I find that deep disuse massage does the trick. Within about 24 hours, my headaches go away completely and I'm good to go for another couple months.

Good luck Elly. I hope you find relief soon!

ME: 33  H: 32
    TTC Since 6/2013   Early Loss: 9/2013   MFI Diagnosis: 12/2014

imageimage

• Options
    Have you tried magnesium citrate supplements? I know a couple of people who have really benefited from them. You can get them in a health food store, or anywhere where vitamins are sold. From what I understand, you just need to take 600 mg daily, without calcium (as calcium will prevent proper absorption). Other than that, I've got nothing, except for what PP's have already suggested. I'm sorry you're in pain. My husband gets migraines too, and I know how terrible they make him feel. Feel better!
    Me: 30  DH: 45
    Married: 7/19/2014
    TTC #1 since 8/2014
    BFP 1/10/15 EDD 9/22/15

BabyFruit Ticker
    Sept. '15 Siggy Challenge: Happy Dance
  • Options
    During the first few days of my latest TWW, I got a headache every single night. We only had ibuprofen in the house and I kept forgetting to grab some when running errands, so I mixed peppermint and lavender oil with some almond oil (carrier) and rubbed it on my forehead. Instant relief. But once it wore off, I'd have to reapply. And I had a slight breakout.

My mom used to go temporarily blind from migraines and took some serious meds. Strangely, it (and her arthritis in her thumbs) went away when she became a massage therapist. Not sure why, except maybe some of the kinks in her system and the aromatherapy she was learning helped? I'm not saying become a massage therapist, but I do think there's something to acupuncture, massage, aromatherapy, and/or chiropractice that helps those internal triggers.
    BabyGaga
  • Options
    kelley72kelley72 member
    edited November 2014
    @Amybunny30  wow you and I sound very similar, mine are hormone induced for the most part.  Prior to mirena they were awful and especially prior to having children while on bcp.  I cannot take imitrex and so only utilize caffeine, Excedrin.  I use Tylenol for regular headaches but that doesn't touch a migraine.  You are the only person I have ever heard that does something similar to me:
    cold/cool room, dark, wrapping something on my head and/or holding both sides of my head.  I cannot even explain how/why it helps but it makes the whomp/whomp sensation subside.  I also prefer to have a very quiet background noise like running water (If I am lucky enough to be at home I leave my sink faucet at a very low flow).
    I wish you help @KingLED  it sucks to be in pain and try everything under the sun..

edit to call out correctly
  • Options
    Yes, the cool dark room I've just never heard or perhaps paid attention to anyone else specifically stating they do something to apply pressure on their throbbing head @Joy2611  I've learned I'm not that bizarre!  Well, at least in this instance.
  • Options
    Not loving that your body temp wouldn't regulate.  I prefer being warm to cold perhaps the coolness helps distract me from the pain in my head?  Don't know I just know that if I'm warm/hot while suffering it is seems so much worse and I occasionally get dizzy then too.
  • Options
    acurtin713acurtin713 member
    edited November 2014

@KingLED this is going to sound really weird, but do you still have your gallbladder? This time last year I was having migraines for a week straight at times, and it was also discovered that my gallbladder was only working at 12%. (yes, I had my gallbladder out the Monday of Thanksgiving, that was awesome....) After I had my gallbladder removed my headaches were not near as bad! Now, I'm not saying that stopped them completely, and my doctor has since put me on other medicines to help with them. But I did have some relief after that. 

edit: words

Married 07/13/13

DH-25 & Me-21

Fur baby- Chevy (Jack Russell)

TTC #1 Sept '14

PitaPata Dog tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

January Siggy Challenge: Workout Fails
    http://media.giphy.com/media/VSRYTP72WYNLq/giphy.gif

• Options
    I have been plagued with migraines since I was a child. The first one I can remember I was in the 4th grade. The main triggers for me are stress, dehydration, over heating and restless sleep. 

I get Migraines pretty often and a does of Excedrin with a does of advil (or something of the sort) seems to help. Also rubbing biofreeze wherever it is hurting, usually in the shoulders and base of head. I saw a Neurologist for a few years, but all he did was pump me full of drugs and then I didnt feel like me. I did notice that when I ate better and tried cutting out sugar and gluten I felt better. But who knows? I think a weekly or monthly massage would help as well. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2
  • Options
    I hope you get some relief. I suffered with migraines since i was a little kid. I used to get 1-2 per week. I know some of my triggers are related to stress and anxiety. I took drugs such as Topamox, Depakote, Neurotin for years to help curb the migraines. When I found out I had Celiac and I cut out gluten my migraines decreased and I was able to go off preventive drugs.

For me I when I start to get a bad headache I can usually tell if it is going towards a migraine. I take a combination of tylenol, caffeine, and klonopin. That usually does the trick but when I get to it too late I either take Relpax (related to Immitrex) or Immitrex. I tried Maxalt but that didn't do much for me.

lovegrilledcheese  I have never heard of anyone else saying they had migraines as a kid. I am glad to hear I am not the only crazy one. I tried all those same drugs as you and most didnt do anything for me or I had a bad reaction. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2
  • Options
    I get the worst tension headaches from my shoulders. Pain that even makes my eyes hurt. I started doing yoga for fitness, and was surprised that it helped my tension headaches. I realized when I get stressed or any tension, it goes to my shoulders. Yoga typically has you pull your shoulders down and back, strengthening appropriate muscles and loosening all in the same session if you focus on them. I also finished school, so lots of tension gone there too. Avec alkyl else fails, I use ice and not heat. Heat made mine so so so so much worse.
    Hope you find relief!

• Options

@KingLED this is going to sound really weird, but do you still have your gallbladder? This time last year I was having migraines for a week straight at times, and it was also discovered that my gallbladder was only working at 12%. (yes, I had my gallbladder out the Monday of Thanksgiving, that was awesome....) After I had my gallbladder removed my headaches were not near as bad! Now, I'm not saying that stopped them completely, and my doctor has since put me on other medicines to help with them. But I did have some relief after that. 

edit: words

I had my gallbladder removed several years ago. I'm glad getting your removed helped your headaches, though!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"