Birth Stories

Experiences with Cervidil

Hi All,  I searched for both cervidil and cervadil and read dozens of individual stories (thank you all who have shared), but was hoping some people might specifically be able to share their experiences with cervidil-- in particular I am curious if a second dose has helped people who did not have much progress with the first dose.  If it did not work, what did?  My doctor is talking about inducing next week, starting with cervidil as I have not dilated, and I'm not certain if I will be able to go home if the cervidil does not work, but I would prefer to avoid cytotec as it has a slightly higher risk of complications.

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience and wisdom!

"And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." 
2 Corinthians 12:9

Re: Experiences with Cervidil

• Thanks for sharing @kissandglow! I realize that everyone is different but I was skeptical that the human body would react differently to the same dose of the same drug a second time and this gives me more confidence that it could work. :)

"And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." 

• I had two doses of Cervadil, the first one got me to a four and the second one finished the job.  It wasn't terribly uncomfortable or painful until about 6-8 hours after the second placement (Pitocin was going then, too).  I had the epidural soon after and can't tell ya much more.
    Egg Retrieval - Feb. 2013 -> OHSS.  FET#1 - June 2013(failed). FET#2 - October 2013(success!) Griffin Alistair: 6#10oz 20" long, born 6/19/14 @ 4:04am
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks @maladroit -- I suspect this is likely the plan for me.  I am not sure how long after the second cervadil they typically start the pitocin.

It's my understanding that with just Cervidil you do not need internal monitors and can be up and walking around-- was that true of your experiences?

• Yes, very much...until I got the epidural and pitocin. I needed an internal pressure catheter for monitoring when I stalled at a 7, then ripped it out during pushing in all my crazy positions.
    Egg Retrieval - Feb. 2013 -> OHSS.  FET#1 - June 2013(failed). FET#2 - October 2013(success!) Griffin Alistair: 6#10oz 20" long, born 6/19/14 @ 4:04am
  • Thanks.  It sounds like there are mixed experiences as to whether or not you need internal monitoring on pit.

That sounds like a crazy end of delivery story!

• With my first it they gave me the first cervidil the first morning, i was contractions pretty bad all day but didn't dilate much. So they took it out to let me sleep the night. The next morning they put more in and it worked that time. I didn't need the pitocin the other worked for really bad contractions. They were right on top of each other but did it with out an epidural ( not my choice). With my second it worked on the first try with just cervidil, again with no epidural. I hope to try this labor with out being induced!

BFP: 04/03/2014  EDD: 12/15/2014  HB: 04/30/14 (75bpm) MC: 5/2/2014 (natural)

BabyFetus Ticker

• My first round of cervidil did nothing, I started at 1/2cm, 70% and ended there. Second round (only done after I refused cytotec) got me to 1cm, still 70%. Started pitocin after that, went to 2cm in an hour and had horrible, on top of each other contractions that I couldn't handle. Got an epidural. 2 hours later I'd gone from 2 to 10 and it was time to push. I don't know if the two rounds of cervidil are what helped me to dilate so quickly with the pit or if the pit was what did it, regardless I am glad I refused the cytotec.