January 2015 Moms

Baby name???

I'm having a boy and from what I've read/heard Astrid is definitely a girls name. But I don't think it sounds very feminine. I'm so stuck on the name after being sure the past few months. So is Silas Astrid okay? Or should I stick to Silas Oliver?

Re: Baby name???

• Loading the player...
  • Astrid is feminine but i love Silas!
  • Maebb said:

Sorry, Astrid does seem like a girls name to me and also reminds me of the episode of The Office where Michael says the name as "Ass turd."

I prefer Oliver.

I was just going to write that!
    I was thinking the exact same thing(I heart The Office!)

OP- Astrid is most definitely a girls name. I would go with Silas Oliver.

Pregnancy TickerimageBaby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• I can only associate Astrid with being feminine ...can't imagine it on a boy

Silas Oliver is good

Cat leg goes crazy and beats itself in the face

image  image
  • I believe Astrid was also a little girls name on the show Dexter. 
    Stephanie Ella ~ 6/15/2012
  • Jumpi
    Joowie said:

I'm having a boy and from what I've read/heard Astrid is definitely a girls name. But I don't think it sounds very feminine. I'm so stuck on the name after being sure the past few months. So is Silas Astrid okay? Or should I stick to Silas Oliver?

Jumpin on the bandwagon of Silas Astrid.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Astrid reminds me of the show Fringe- it was a girl's name on there as well. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I think girl too when I hear Astrid, sorry, I'd go with Oliver.. love Silas! That's a great name :-)
  • Silas Oliver is cute.  Astrid is 100% girl, sorry.
  • Maebb said:

Sorry, Astrid does seem like a girls name to me and also reminds me of the episode of The Office where Michael says the name as "Ass turd."

I prefer Oliver.

@Maebb‌ thanks for making me choke on my coffee. I was just thinking I really like the name Astrid, then you had to throw ass turd out there. Lol
  • I have a good friend named Astrid and two little girls at the school I cross for are Astrid. Definitely a girl name.

And I love Silas. Why would my husband veto Silas? Such a great name. Silas Oliver is perfect.

• Silas oliver is a good solid name!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I agree with the ladies, Astrid is and does sound like a girls name. We are with you in your love for the name of Silas though! It is one of our top contenders! His name would be Silas D'Angelo "insert very Italian last name :)" Silas Oliver is very sweet! Is Oliver or Astrid a family name? 
  • Astrid is definitely a girl's name. Silas Oliver is nice. I would go with that.
  • edited November 2014
  • I definitely prefer Silas Oliver . . . or even Oliver Silas. Not a fan of Astrid in general, and I don't think it falls into the unisex category. It's pretty common for boy names to get taken over by girls, but I think it's a lot harder for a girl's name to swing masculine.
  • Definitely Silas Oliver. Silas because it's my sons name and Oliver because i love the name Oliver :).
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • YaMrWhite said:

I believe Astrid was also a little girls name on the show Dexter. 

Dexter's step-daughter is Astor :-) were using it as our little girls middle name...I feel kind of weird telling ppl where we got it from but oh well, we love it! (And Dexter)

I do think Astrid is too feminine for a boy, but I like Silas Oliver!
    *loss and BFP mentioned*
    Me: Endo & No Tubes 
    DH: perfect!
    IVF#1 (Sept 2013) Long Lupron Protocol
               17 retrieved, 15 fert, 1 perfect blast trans, 10 frozen
                BFP--Ended-- Blighted Ovum
    FET#2 Tentative Sched: Start meds CD1=Feb 1, ET= Feb 19-20
              One Grade 4AA Blast transferred, 5dpt- BFP HPT, 6dpt- line darker
              Beta #1- 50, Beta #2- 30
              BFN- Chemical preg
    FET#3 CD1-4/11, start Injections on CD13, ET scheduled- 4/29
             CD12 u/s & bw- Lining 8.7, estrogen 335, cleared for ET in one week!
             CD19 ET- Two Grade 4AA Blast transferred one with assisted hatching
             4dpt- POAS = BFP!....POAS everyday after = DARKER! FX!
             Beta #1- 703!  Beta #2- 4,004! 
             First U/S, 5wk0d- TWO gest sacs, Both with yolk sacs and a fetal pole both measuring 3d ahead!
    ((Thank you LORD, praying these LO grow, grow, grow!)) 
    **Due date Jan 14th- Boy/Girl twins**

imageimage

• It's a middle name, do what you want!
  • Silas Oliver is a great name.  Astrid is a nice name as well but like many of the others I picture a little girl.  Maybe put it on the back burner, who knows you might have a little girl one day and you could use it.

After 8 yrs of ttc little one is due Jan. 28

Big brother is excited to meet this little one!

• Yes, I would go with Silas Oliver also. I can understand why you love the name Astrid "divinely beautiful", but it is a girl's name and sadly it doesn't have a male version. I would keep Astrid in the memory bank for a possible younger sis.
  • It's up to you honestly, both names are great :)

It's weird how names can be feminine or masculine, my name is typically a girls name Andrea but it's origins say it means Manly. What. Lol

But I have guy friends names Ariel, Sandy, Pearl and they seem to be doing just fine even with their names being considered more "feminine". I also know girls names Dylan, Jorden and Adrian. So it's no big deal :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"