September 2014 Moms
Options

Discipline Ideas...Please help!

Since I seem to have a little "arteest" on my hands, I'm looking for a creative solution to this one...

I was in the living room nursing a fussy DD when I sent my son to their room b/c he was driving me crazy with his constant running in circles. I finally got her to sleep and I thought that it would be a good time to start dinner. Since he loves to help me cook, I went in their room to see if he wanted to help. I walk in and find him painting all over the walls with dark green acrylic paint that he apparently found in the junk drawer. I already made him help me clean it, but I'm trying to come up with a more creative punishment for this. My landlord is going freak. The wall is still tinted green. I know that this a group of exceptionally creative ladies. Any ideas would be welcomed. TIA. :-)

Re: Discipline Ideas...Please help!

• Options
    How old is your son?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Cancel something he wants to do or have and explain it's to make up for the paint. Do this till it amts to your paint costs or landlord fine. Kids don't get $ yet but they do get not having mc Ds or a toy or extra trip to something because of their indiscretions.

I like the idea of making him clean too instead of play time. I wouldn't stop at the wall. I have a 4yr old, he's a great duster esp baseboards. Also swiffers the wood floors and puts toys away.
    Lilypie - (JLjB)

• Options
    Try WD-40. It worked on all kinds of craziness my toddler had put on our walls. Sharpie that had been there for months because sharpies are the devil and crayons and there was no trace. Worth a shot. If not, pick up a copy of landlord tenant laws usually from a local police station (at least they have them here in OR) and study up on at what point they can charge for paint. Here after 1 year it's normal wear and tear and you wouldn't be charged extra. (Or at least for the paint, I'm not sure about primer or anything like that.) good luck.
  • Options
    I would try some sort of a "payoff" system.vWhat I mean is, I would come up with a cost to "fix" the green tint and work it into chores and explain to him that what he did was wrong and he has to "fix it". For Example I'd created a list of chores and the amount they cost- picking up toys= $5.00, and then add it to the "fix it" jar. once he's got enough money to "fix it" then he's paid off his debt. I would then encourage his artistic nature by using his fix it money to go towards a kids craft kit to redirect his attention and energy.

I don't know it may sound lame but I think kids like seeing their progress of fixing a problem and I like redirecting them from a wrong action into a right one. Then again I'm a first time mom and I'm just basing this off of my experience teaching/coaching.

Good luck I hope you find. Good solution!
  • Options
    I am so sorry mama, seems like you do have your hands full. Can you go through your drawers again and make sure all markers and painting supplies are "gone"? Hope the WD-40 works.
    Hugs!
    -Cookin-Quiltin
  • Options
    Thanks so much Mamas! We are going to do a little of everything. The letter, and working it off thru cleaning and other chores. I have already gone thru my junk drawer again and removed anything of question. This will not be happening again. I thought that he knew better, but I guess not. My husband already has some paint, so he will take care of that aspect of it. Hopefully, O will learn his lesson this time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"