Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Activities for a sick toddler?

DD, 27mos, has a killer cold right now. Her usual favorite thing to do at the moment is run in circles around the house. I'd obviously like to discourage that so she gets some rest.

We've got books, Legos, kitchen, and wooden blocks in the regular toy rotation but I need some new ideas for keeping her entertained and resting a little. Trying not to have too much TV but I'm sure there will be plenty of that too.

What's in your bag of tricks for a sick kid?
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Activities for a sick toddler?

• Options
    Painting, playdoh? This time of year you should be able to find plenty of cookie decorating or gingerbread house kits. Pinterest always has great ideas as well. There was a fun "snow" activity that I plan on doing with my kids while we are off of school this week.
    imageimage
  • Options
    My LO is still a little young for them, but I picked up a pack of lacing cards in Target's dollar spot today. They also had bathtub pens and paint. My DD likes playing with a big bowl of dried beans with measuring cups and some spoons. I've also taped an empty paper towel roll to the wall and had her drop little pom pom balls through it.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Just in case anyone else is searching, puzzles turned out to be the biggest hit. I got a pack of 7 wooden (cheap wood, but whatever) Disney puzzles at Target. She only worked on one, and that took up about an hour for her to do it 10+ times.
  • Options
    all of those are great ideas. I wouldnt worry about her running around or getting out for a bit. My kids rarely slow down with colds, etc. Unless they are super sick- high fevers etc, their routine doesnt change too much. Maybe a bit more tv, earlier bedtime, but thats about it
  • Options
    LSU628 said:
    Painting, playdoh? This time of year you should be able to find plenty of cookie decorating or gingerbread house kits. Pinterest always has great ideas as well. There was a fun "snow" activity that I plan on doing with my kids while we are off of school this week.
    You mention Pinterest but I always get lost and overwhelmed whenever I get to Pinterest. I am looking for a smarter way to use this site...Could you share your favorite boards? Or maybe I should just follow you and see what you post..
  • Options
    shakinros said:
    Trying not to have too much TV but I'm sure there will be plenty of that too. 
    This is an interesting point actually. Because whenever I am sick I use the time to learn by watching videos. Because everything else is too challenging, but I don't want to lose time. Maybe it's the same for kids because they cannot be very active when they are sick..
  • Options
    LSU628 said:
    You mention Pinterest but I always get lost and overwhelmed whenever I get to Pinterest. I am looking for a smarter way to use this site...Could you share your favorite boards? Or maybe I should just follow you and see what you post..
    Here are some of my boards- the arts and crafts is kind of random b/c it's when I first started using Pinterest.  https://www.pinterest.com/lsu628/arts-and-crafts/
    https://www.pinterest.com/lsu628/kid-stuff/
    imageimage
  • Options
    Maybe make some sensory bins with rice, add in little toys and spoons to play with it.  
  • Options
    As the kids love the colors so its better to go for paintings, coloring pages, finger paintings and puzzle games are good for the kids. As my kids love doing coloring pages so i collect the pages from online and take the print out. I sit along with him to help him out to color.
    Here is bunny coloring pages which i have engaged my kid in coloring these sheets.

• Options
    Thanks for the ideas!