April 2015 Moms

Another night on the couch. Any snoring remedies?

Husband snores like a freaking freight train but doesn't think he does. I end up on the couch most nights because it's so loud I can't even begin to sleep. I've tried ear plugs but they do not work. Anything you all have tried for yourselves or your spouse/SO that seemed to help? Thanks!!

Re: Another night on the couch. Any snoring remedies?

• Oh I should edit that first post, crap. We have tried breathe right strips and those mouth guard things. I guess I never thought it could be a medical condition, now to convince him to go to the doctor haha
  • Sadly , I'm the one who snores ... If it wasn't for ear plugs 4 years ago I probably wouldn't be married !!!! I still talk in my sleep too , and it's been getting bad since I fell pregnant ... I keep getting woken up and being asked "what are you saying?" ..... My reply " I have no freaking idea I was asleep !!" Lol oh the fun!
  • Loading the player...
  • Have you tried different kinds of ear plugs? They are not all created equal. The ones I use are extremely malleable and really keep out the noise (sorry I don't have the brand). I also tend to poke my husband so he moves and sleeps on his side. I figure it's only fair, since I can't sleep on my back why should he...
  • He snores in every position haha its pretty ridiculous! And when I nudge or poke him he gets super angry with me. I've tried a couple different kinds, maybe just haven't found the right ones yet. Most of them either fall out or are really uncomfortable.
  • If he doesn't believe you, record it so he can hear how bad it is
  • We use industrial ear plugs , the kind builders use on work sites !!!! Apparently I still get through !! Lol
  • be888be888 member
    edited November 2014
    I feel you. I woke up at 2 am with my DH, dog, and son snoring. Fortunately my DH only snores on his back, so nothing a little elbowing can't take care of. If he needs to sleep on his back because of shoulder pain, he wears Breathe Right.

ETA: Sorry, just saw your comment about Breathe Right.

BabyFruit Ticker
    16 Ch. du Barrage, Lac-Beauport

• If all else fails punch him then try to fall asleep before he starts snoring again. :D
    BabyFetus Ticker

• I joked with my DH that I wouldn't have married him if he snored. My dad is a terrible snorer and I remember growing up how challenging that was for my mom. He did have sleep apenea. I would be super grumpy and resentful - mama needs her sleep - especially with LOs.
    DS born 10/25/11 **  DD born 6/24/13 **  DS born 4/20/15
  • Have you tried turning on a small box fan or some kind of white noise machine? I use a small box fan on high and it's right by my side of the bed. I usually just try and focus on the white noise from that and then the snoring doesn't bother me as much. I have two dogs who snore louder than their daddy! Haha
  • I agree with @fabledmabel‌ - he should get checked for sleep apnea. For years I ended up on the couch due to DH snoring. Finally he got tested and actually had it bad. Now it is a world of difference. He sleeps great and breathes! And I get to sleep in bed with no interruptions.
    Good luck!
  • I joke to my SO that I hate him every night but love him again when I wake up because of snoring. I also use ear plugs. IMO hearos are the BEST! Not much gets through and sometimes I double up his breathe rite strips.
  • Girl, I feel your pain. My husband was diagnosed with sleep apnea and refuses/keeps forgetting to get fitted for the damn CPAP. He also has restless legs. My first tip is to kick HIM out of bed next time. There is no reason he should get the comfy bed. You are carrying his offspring in your uterus.

My second tip is ear plugs, separate sheets (if he is restless legs) and white noise machine.
  • I just nudge mine lightly enough so that he doesnt wake up, but stirs a little and stops snoring.
    When it gets too bad I just go on the couch, Luckily my couch is super comfy.
  • I've heard that lots of pineapple in the diet helps with snoring - that could just be an old wives tale though.

***** December Siggy Challenge *****

Pregnancy Ticker

• More pillows.  A lot more pillows.  So many pillows that they take over his side of the bed.  Then he sleeps on the sofa instead of you.  Well, at least that's how I do it.  ;)  Mine has been on the sofa a week now.

Factor V Leiden Homozygous, Advanced Maternal Age

TTC #1, 5 yrs, PCOS, Femera + Ovidrel.

IUI#3 BFP, DD 5/31/2012

TTC #2, 2 yrs, PCOS, Femera+Ovidrel

IUI#2 BFP!

• I've caught myself snoring when I sleep on my back... Sleeping on my sides has helped. It's hard because I naturally fall asleep on my back. Good thing I'm single so my dog is the only one that has to deal with it. Lol
  • I had perfected the sleep-punch for my DH, until I couldn't take it anymore! I KNEW he had sleep apnea.....he was hooked on sleeping pills and the like. One trip to the dr and he for sure had sleep apnea. The CPAP machine has saved both of our lives, and our marriage!
  • He should be the one sleeping on the couch !! My CL is the same way and snores in every position. Since now its hard for me to sleep and I toss and turn like a fish he sleeps on the floor and honesty he hasn't snored to bad ! Everyday is different though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"